• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Reloading Manual

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
Last night I was going through my reloading material and ran across my first reloading manual. It was the 41st addition of the Lyman Ammunition Reloading Hand Book dated in 1957. Had 172 pages plus 20 additional pages of advertising Lyman products. In contrast, my current Lyman reloading manual is 528 pages.

Even has some fold out charts on cast bullet designs and a great section on reloading shotshells written by Charles Lyman III.

Thought you might enjoy seeing a picture of the 1957 version. Anyone else have an old one? Please share a photo.

Regards20211016_091505.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I bet there are lots of powders listed in that book which are no longer even being produced!!!

Thanks for reminding me just how good I have it in this life. :)

Trivia Question Time:

What rifle is depicted on the cover?

Everyone feel free to chime in. :) Ernst, I know that YOU know, so not fair to contribute. I know, it's your thread........

Wow, I bet there are lots of powders listed in that book which are no longer even being produced!!!

Thanks for reminding me just how good I have it in this life. :)

Nitesite, the manual list the following powders which are "currently available for reloading purposes". Fairly good selection.
Hercules Unique
Hercules Bullseye
Hercules Hi-Vil No. 2
Hercules 2400
Dupont 5066
Dupont Pistol Powder No. 6
Dupont 4759
Dupont 4227
Dupont 4198
Dupont 3031
Dupont 4064
Dupont 4320
Dupont 4350
Hodgen H-240
Hodgen Ball Type C
Hodgen 4831
Hodgen 4676
Hodgen 4895

The other thing interesting in the manual is articles on various subjects by some well known historians whose names many of you will still recognize.

Sample:

Hunting by Jack O'Connor, Editor, Outdoor Life

Competitive Rifle Shooting by Pete Brown, Editor, Sports Afield

Loading for the Bench by Warren Page, Editor, Field & Stream

Pistol Shooting with Reloaded Ammunition by Col. Charles Askins

Plus others.

Regards

@Ernst

Really? Those powders are "currently available"? Or were "currently available" when the book was published? I am thinking the latter.

And I hope some members chime in with what rifle is depicted.

@Ernst

Really? Those powders are "currently available"? Or were "currently available" when the book was published? I am thinking the latter.

And I hope some members chime in with what rifle is depicted.

These were the powders which the 1957 manual indicates were currently available in the day. Like newer manuals there are individual charts for each caliber.

For example .30-06 shows load data for 11 of different powers covering bullet weights from 110 grains to 220 grains (12 different weight cartridges shown).

Regards

46th addition Lyman from 1982

464 pages

Not my pic, but this is it:

iu

Amazing how the manuals have grown. I'm currently using a 50th edition which first came out in 2016 and has 528 pages.

Noticed that Lyman has been providing reloading equipment and data since 1878!

Slightly before my time!

Regards

Just did a little research and Lyman in 1891 published the first American reloading manual, The Ideal Hand Book of Instruction on How to Prepare Your Own Ammunition.

Regards

Back