• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First roll your own

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Yup, straight up trying to copy the FC wad. This is my first hand rolled 00 buck , enjoy

Ballistic Products BP12 wad, has a 1/ 4“ felt for cushion and sits on a BP gas seal. They come unslit so you can slit them in any way you can think of
IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

10 pellet load 1.15 oz
IMG_0380.jpg

24.5 grains of Alliant Herco
IMG_0391.jpg

17 grains of #47 Ballistic Products buffer
IMG_0387.jpg

Federal Top Gun (breast cancer awareness edition) paper base wad .Powder in, wad set in and pellets stacked in 5 layers of 2 pellets. Fit nice right to the top of the wad and that is important for a good crimp
IMG_0386.jpg

Buffer in .
IMG_0388.jpg

20 gauge over shot card so buffer stays put. I notice factory shells use a sort of glue for this seal.
IMG_0389.jpg

Crimped. I need to adjust this as it swelled the shell slightly but it feeds and ejects.
IMG_0390.jpg

1275 FPS from Lyman Shotshell Handbook 5th edition

I’ll post a target after I shoot it.

I don’t know but I think I have never wanted to shoot a particular round this bad yet...except for a 50 cal Raufoss round

I can imagine! I wanna shoot em too!

I got a bunch of empties I can send you, if you want send me your addy in a PM!

Good report Oli...well done !

Thing with "rollin yer own" is that you don't save a whole lot of money...but you do shoot alot more !!

;) ...and ain't that what it's all about !!

SHOOTER13 said:
Good report Oli...well done !

Thing with "rollin yer own" is that you don't save a whole lot of money...but you do shoot alot more !!

;) ...and ain't that what it's all about !!

You know the score…….. Plus it’s the accomplishment for me. If I can produce something as good as a factory round I will be rolling. That’s why I am casting too. Turning raw material into shot, slugs and bullets and the knowledge to do is a cool thing to me. If it ever comes down to constructing your own ammo for whatever reason the knowledge will be handy. I have officially collected 330 pounds of lead all for free … If I cast that into shot and slugs that’s a big savings at 1 oz a round, well one could do the math. The equipment is running a little more than I thought it was going to but the hobby aspect is turning out to be pretty cool so the savings is becoming less important to me.

Rossignol said:
I can imagine! I wanna shoot em too!

I got a bunch of empties I can send you, if you want send me your addy in a PM!
That would be sweet, I’ve been going to all the gravel pits in the woods and scrounging at the gun club

Once I get a Lee pot that doesn’t shock me and get the casting down I’ll send you and the kid some loads to try. I want to make a lot of other loads it’s just going to take some time to accumulate the components and I still have to buy the slug mold and I can’t decide what one I want to try.

cbshooter said:
Can't wait for the report on these. Nice looking reload.

Thanks, I hope they work :lol: If not, back to the drawing board,,,,its fun anyway. I just dont want to make 500 of something that dosent work. I want to see what I like best and make a load of 'em

Real mean lookin' load there Oli...can't wait for the range report !!

:shock: These are among the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Far better than diamonds and gold...

IMG_0429.jpg

Brad...that looks like a gold filled diamond to me..... ;)

ripjack13 said:
Brad...that looks like a gold filled diamond to me..... ;)

15 year wedding anniversary coming up and I dont believe these will substitute well! Awesome though they are, Jenny will know the difference between lead and gold! :lol:

:lol: ....thanks guys I am honored you like them, these are in Federal Gold Medal hulls. I wish I had more of these. I need to buy components for Remington and Winchester....I think Remington next.

Well... How did they shoot???????

Edited: Never mind, I found your thread with pics and results. Nice effort and very good results!

Nice crimps, BTW. What did you use for buffer material?

I think it would be cool to buy a black powder revolver in .32 caliber and then I can cast pure lead balls for it and make a lotta extras for practice buckshot loads.

Ok, ok... I know I have a bunch of shell hulls for you, and I really wanna send em, but we keep shooting and I think to myself, "if I wait, I'll have more to send". Well, I just picked up some Remington Nitro Gold.

Are those of use? May do some range time tomorrow. Kinda wanna see if my mom wants to go with us.

The Remington Primer STS and the Nitro is the best hull to reload . They will reload 10 or so times before the crimp starts to split. I am using them for slugs at the moment. So when I send some back the AA will be my low(er) recoil and the Nitro will be the Grizzly loads...and a few low recoil 8 pel in pink Top Gun hulls for ANR to pattern for me.

Back