• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FIXED POWER: Hunting Scope Options

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Fixed Power scopes for hunting? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

I have a .270 Win rifle with a 4x40 older Tasco (Made in Japan) that I use as a deer rifle when hunting around thicker type foliage. It also makes for a very handy wild pig rifle!

I think most scopes are too large and too powerful for most shooting needs. :)

I would have to agree with that.

It's funny how many folks I see this time of year at the range sighting in 8-32 magnification scopes on their deer rifles. I'm not a hunter, but I've always been under the impression that most kills here in TN are made well within 100yards. How many open fields on deer leases have a 300yd line of sight from the blind? Higher power may be useful for hunting pronghorn at distance on the open plains back home in TX maybe, but not for mostly wooded terrain.

It's so true about some hunters using large magnification scopes. I like 4-power scopes, but I wish a scope company would come out with a 2-power scope with fast eye focus and a 32 to 36mm objective in a 1 inch tube to pick up light well in a dusk and dawn situation for those real close shots of not over 50yds that I use a 44Magnum rifle for. I do know a lot of hunters like me have to use variable scopes for deer situations because of the State saying that the Bucks have to have a certain number of points on 1 antler, which for my State is 4, and I need to power up quickly to make a count when the deer is over 75yds or in treed areas and not make the mistake for a limb being an antler.
Del

My favorite scope/rifle was a Weaver 2.5X with a Command Post reticule on a Ruger old style .44 mag. Sold the rifle for $800 (couldn't turn it down) but still have the scope. Been thinking of mounting it on my 930 if I don't find a good red dot. It's nice to have options.

I have a Field & Stream 4x32 on my 500 for deer, sighted in for about 40 yds. That's really all I could ever see needing. I understand zoom scopes, but for my thinking its just one more thing to go wrong, or have to think about when that buck is in your sights. I'd rather pull up, aim for vitals, shoot and enjoy. :)

jim4065 said:
but still have the scope....It's nice to have options.
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Yes it is.
Would be even better if I still had a brain. I was reminded that I traded the scope for a pocket Dragoon some 16 years ago. I DID find the Dragoon, but it'll be tough to mount on the 930.
:oops:

I do have a Bushnell ScopeChief 2.5x mounted to a Roumanian .22 "Trainer" rifle. It doesn't have a true Command Post but has a post with crosshairs (or however you want to describe it). It could serve as the test scope, especially since the Roumanian .22 has the "Express" iron sights which prevent the scope from being mounted far enough forward to give proper eye relief. Now all I need is a QD Pick mount for the scope and I'm cookin'.

Back