• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Flat nose/hollow point bullet

Chris111

.270 WIN
I came across a video of some guys that were modifying 7.62x39 fmj surplus ammo into flat nose rounds while I was looking for a good soft point rounds for hogs.

I was thinking about trying this as I recall people doing this type of thing several years ago but I couldn't find any info on it. It makes me think of a nosler big game projectile but obviously not a solid alloy which I'd think would actually be better on smaller game.

I realize my thoughts are scattered on this but any thoughts or info?

By making the tips flat, would likely expose the lead under the copper coating, thus making it a makeshift soft point.

Wolf makes 154 gr soft point 7.62x39 bullets. They really pack a wallop too.

Yeah, that was the general idea. I figured it would act similar to a soft point. I was thinking that this could be a simple idea in a pinch since ammo is cheap and I can't find any ballistic ammo in the local stores. I'll have to order some.

I do have some old wolf 123 gr hp's stashed away but I don't know how they act or if they even expand. If I recall, I remember reading something about them being something other than lead so they didn't really expand well?

From my completely unscientific testing of yugo surplus 7.62x39, they do most of their work by tumbling. not expanding.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100iV8uON-c&feature=plcp&context=C387502dUDOEgsToPDskKySVIdoexsb4lNl1nc2nxI[/youtube]

Correct... FMJ

The original Soviet M43 bullets are boat-tail bullets with a copper-plated steel jacket, a large steel core, and some lead between the core and the jacket. The cartridge itself consists of a berdan-primed, highly tapered (usually steel) case which seats the bullet and contains the powder charge. The taper makes it very easy to feed and extract the round, since there is little contact with the chamber walls until the round is fully seated. This taper is what causes the AK-47 to have distinctively curved magazines (helping to distinguish AK-47s from AK-74s, which feed from a much straighter magazine). While the bullet design has gone through a few redesigns, the cartridge itself remains largely unchanged.

Many contemporary Russian-made 7.62×39 cartridges, such as those sold under the brand names Wolf, Silver Bear and Golden Tiger, feature a modified Yugoslavian M67 bullet with an airspace cast into the nose or similar ballistic-enhancing tip design which improve fragmentation and/or tumbling tendencies. When this bullet begins to yaw then tumble, that is when it's wounding effects really come into play.

IF you are going to do this, be sure the base of the round is fully encased by the jacket. If it is not, you could blow the core of the round out of the jacket, lodging the jacket in your barrel. Bad things will happen when you fire the next round.
I knew a guy who was a reloading moron. He was shooting .30 cal 110 grain Copper clad rounds from a 30-06. He managed to detonate a 98 Mauser.
Those rounds are a lead core that is just dipped in copper, not meant for high velocity.

not all fmj's have jacket on the bottom. I just bought these 500 .223 for reloading

100_1225.jpg

The reverse bullet idea seems like if would change pressures. I suppose the volume would be the same even though the tip is farther in but narrow.

I planned on trying this with wolf/Tula or surplus stuff as that's all I can ind around here.

If you study the effects of a well-constructed 55-gr cannelured bullet in a Mil-Spec 5.56 round you'll see that it is absolutely devastating in its explosive effect. Perhaps one of the finest articles on the subject is The Ammo Oracle.

http://ammo.ar15.com/

It's a hugely long read but is an excellent treatise of bullets.

55 gr bullets excel at fragmentation and do their best work while fragmenting. And why, even in short barrels, try to keep at least slightly above the 2200 fps threshold so they will perform as designed.

7.62x39 is a different beast though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmu7yTVidig#normal[/youtube]

Yeah, I shoot 556. I was just confused as to how we got on the topic of 556/223 ballistics when we were talking about modifying 762.

I'm going to cut up a couple rounds and see what we're looking at.

I was just posting an example that not all FMJ is fully encased. These are labeled FMJ boat tail.

Back