• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Forend fitting issue

Had a Mossberg 500 Pro Mag tri-rail forend shipped in over the weekend and the guy I got it from forgot the extension.

Anywho, I put it on just to get a feel for it and I am not finding any way for it to stay snug on the slide. There is no cut out for the actual rail to hold the forend in place. It just moves loosely side to side. Will the extension hold it in place?

If it helps I have the Mossberg 500A Field Slugster. With the 1 slide rail forend.

The forend you purchased is made to fit model 500s with an action slide tube and dual action bars held on by a forend nut...

Mossberg_500_forend_nut.jpg

If your 500 had a pinned forend with the ONE action bar...

Maverick88forearm.jpg

...then you will need to purchase and install an action slide tube assembly before you can use this forend. The extension in your forend kit is meant to install on models with the shorter 6-1/2" forend tube vs. the 7-5/8" tube...

mossbergforendvariation.jpg

Yeah I have the longer slide assembly. Now its time to get that. Gotta love this money pit I am digging into. :mrgreen:

So I have seen a previous thread with another member dealing with this. I found a 6 3/4" Mossberg slide tube assembly on midwayusa.com with dual rails. Would this be what I am looking for? Thanks for the help!

Can you post a photo that shows your issue?

If you already have the slide tube assembly I don't know why the forearm is not fitting....

Unfortunately no, I am at work at the moment. I called a local gunshop that I shop at, and they said the slide tube assemble that I have cannot be switched out with a dual (even if I cut a rail off) because it is a 1/2" too short.

So the verdict is, I am going to go buy a Maverick 88 Home defense, and get rid of the old school Field Slugster. And hope to come out on top with all the stuff I changed out. Just better to have more options for modding the gun if it is already fit for them.

Gotcha,

Although if your goal is modification, I would pick up a model 500 or 590 with the dual action bar slide tube assembly and barrel nut instead. The Mav 88 uses a pinned action assembly and like the one you have now you'd have the same issue of not being able to switch forends...

The Mossberg® Maverick® 88™ 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun features a front brass bead sight and a synthetic black stock and forearm are rugged and durable. The nonported, 18.5" barrel has a Cylinder Bore fixed choke, and the shotgun's tubes are fully interchangeable with Mossberg® Accu-Choke™ tubes (sold separately). The shotgun features a cross-bolt safety and a 3" chamber that handles factory 2-3/4" and 3" loads.

Features and Benefits
•Pump action with a 6-shot capacity
•18.5" Cylinder Bore fixed choke and nonported barrel
•Equipped with a 3" chamber that handles factory 2-3/4" and 3" loads
•Synthetic black stock and forearm
•Cross-bolt safety in front of the trigger
•Front brass bead sight
Dual extractors and twin-action slide bars•Choke tubes are fully interchangeable with Mossberg® Accu-Choke™ tubes (sold separately)
•Compatible with Mossberg® 500® model barrels (sold separately) within gauge and capacity

The key is how the bars are meant to attach to the forend.

The action bars on the Maverick are held to the forend by a pin and there is no action slide tube assembly or barrel nut. This assembly is what all the aftermarket forends that I am aware of use for installation...

Back