• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Free Float problem

Mosster47

Copper BB
I ordered a 25-06 with a synthetic stock and marinecoat finish. I take it out of the box and it's clearly not free floating. The left side of the stock is pressing firmly against the barrel. You can easily see that the stock is warped. Now I get the fun process of trying to get Mossberg to send me a new stock.

I paid $397 for the rifle. Should have paid the extra $75 for a Savage or $150 extra for a Tikka.

You get what you pay for.

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your issue but I assure you Mossberg will take care of it. I am going to pm you a contact so that you can get this issue resolved quickly. I absolutely love my Mossberg 4x4.

Dan

If "$50 for a replacement stock" is taking care of it then I guess we have different ideas of that phrase.

I had a Mossberg 800 in my youth in 308 and it was a beautiful rifle. The intricate stock designs and craftsmanship was incredible. Through some family crisis years later it ended up who knows where. The 4x4 isn't even in the same league as the 800.

If a company will send you a rifle with a warped stock and want to charge you to replace it then it's a crap rifle and a crap company. I have a Model 500, 835, and 590 which are awesome. Stick with shotguns Mossberg, it's all you know.

If you read any other forum in regards to the 4x4 everyone says buy a Savage, Tikka, Marlin, etc. Well, I gave the 4x4 a chance and I'll tell you as an owner of a Savage, Weatherby, Marlin, Winchester, Remington, and Browning to pay the extra and get a nice rifle.

I've yet to own a Tikka, but it's manufactured by Sako so it's a good rifle. Spend the money folks. A rifle is an heirloom, not something that might get you through five hunting seasons.

Please let me know who you dealt with if you still have their information. Additionally did you contact the email I provided you with? Again I apologize for the problems you are having with your Mossberg 4x4 but we will help get them straight for you.

I went out and shot it today. These rifles do shoot well. I was sub-MOA all day long hot or cold barrel.

I'll stick with my original sentiment: spend the money. If you're looking for a rifle that you'll almost never shoot then these are fine.

i had a slight problem as well. mine was not warped though. its just that the plastic end of the stock was not perfectly straight on the edges and they were touching the barrel. i fixed it myself by taking off the stock and using some sand paper wrapped around a small wooden dowel and i slid it along the barrel channel to get a nice even channel. put the stock back on and it looks perfect now.

forearm of stock touching barrel

has anyone sanded down the inside of their stock forearm? I notice down the left side the wood get closer to the barrel and at one spot touches. this would effect accuracy once the barrel heats up, causing a pressure/pivot point and throw shot off...

Re: forearm of stock touching barrel

I did remove a considerable amount of Synthetic Materials from my old Stevens 200 stock. It was doing the same thing, on the same side. It didn't look B-E-A-UTIFUL but it was meant too be built into a better stock anyhow.. (Never did happen)
It didn't affect the stocks strength, flexibility (Lack there of).. etc...
Got the barrel 100% free floated as advertised :D

HINT: Only remove SMALL CONTROLLED AMOUNTS! It helps keep the stock looking smooth and it also keeps from removing unnecessary amounts of material. I used a Dremel 3000 (Variable Speed) on a medium level of speed and I braced my hand on the table too have better control over my movements

So the way I always understood it was that the floating barrel is only important on a wood stock and you cannot get the barrel hot enough to affect barrel that has always been touching a synthetic stock, with a bolt gun that is…… I could be misinformed about the heat but it would damnear have to be glowing to actually start bowing ……. I am not 100% sure but I know it is much more important on a wood stock because it is constantly swelling and shrinking with relative humidity in the air, synthetic stocks are not affected by moisture. As far as bedding the receiver that’s good in any stock, have you done any stocks in the past ?

That is a new look at it. I was always told that ANY foreign object applying pressure on the barrel would affect the "Black Voodoo Barrel Harmonics" regardless of material composition. :eek:

The heat comes in to play, as the structural cells heat up and the barrel becomes more flimsy. Not so much that you would literally see it move, but enough that when the bullet is moved off center, that accuracy begins to lack. I read a Chuckhawk article, I believe, that explained it pretty well.

Either way, I always made sure that nothing was applying pressure to the barrel when it was advertised to be 100% free floated. Even with the Bipod attached I ran a Dollar Bill ($1 not $100 lol) through the inlet

The key here is consistency.

If a synthetic stock is contacting the barrel in a particular spot, then yes the barrel harmonics may be affected. However if the point of contact doesn't change, then neither should your shot placement. You would still get consistent groups. Where abnormal contact with the stock comes into play in regards to affecting consistency on target is when you have a wood stock, as oli pointed out. Swelling and contracting in the wood due to temperature and humidity variation will affect a change in pressure at the stock's point of contact with the barrel resulting in changes in barrel harmonics and noticeable changes in shot placement. However in this case the changes occur slowly, usually resulting in a shift in your scope's zero between range trips. Even with a wood stock, you wouldn't likely notice any significant variation during a single range trip.

Bedding the action/barrel will help eliminate one variable, but there are others to consider. Aside from shooter fatigue, barrel thermodynamics can be the most significant attributing factor to sporadic shot placement and scattered groups. It's not just that the barrel heats up either. It's that the barrel is constantly heating up and cooling down between shots and not always in a consistent way. Some parts of the barrel will heat up and cool down faster than others resulting in irregular temperature variation along the bullet's path. This has a direct impact on how the bullet behaves when it leaves the barrel. Fire a single shot and the receiver heats up, then the heat travels down the barrel. When a second shot is fired before the entire weapon cools down to ambient temperature the bullet is traveling through a barrel that is a different temperature, with different rigidity and harmonics than on the first shot. As you continue shooting, these factors can progressively degrade your consistency on target.

Here again, the key is consistency. Establishing a consistent shot cadence, or the amount of time between shots, that works for your rifle will help to improve your consistency on target. Your cadence should be tailored to the intended use for the rifle as well. One school of thought here is to fire a string of shots in rapid succession. This will heat the entire barrel in a relatively even pattern and not allow time for cooling between shots. Knowing how your rifle performs under these conditions would be useful for hunters or for scenarois where immediate follow-up shots may be required. Another school of thought will come into play when shooters are striving for tiny groups on paper. For the absolute best results on target, a rifle will never perform better than on a clean, cold bore shot. This type of shooting can require a lot of patience as it may call for upwards of 15-20 minutes between shots in order to allow the barrel to cool back down to ambient temperature. Running a bore snake through the barrel between shots will also help remove any fouling that could cause a variation in your shot placement. This takes a lot of time and patience, but is a great way to tune your rifle and ammo for consistent sub-MOA results on target.

...just a couple things to consider...

Thanks for all the info LES! I always had Synthetic Stocks, had heard of the swell in wood, but never had experience. My sanding worked for my purpose intended lol :D

mine is the laminate wood stock, and sanding the inside is a must to get the barrel free floating. that will free up one major variable.

Back