• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Future 6.8 rifle

Just bought this mossberg mvp predator .224 valkyrie. Just need to pull the barrel and order a new barrel

7a28b288c8852e1d527b917759013095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a pretty rifle. Are you going to replace with the same caliber or something else?

I had one of those years ago in an AR. Not long after the 2nd chamber revision (noting the ii). It anchored a small buck where he stood using 120 gr Hornady SST's.

I know it's supposed to have been a bonded bullet and all, but it did not exit and I found a handful of fragments just underneath of the hide on the exit shoulder. It was full of blood but the entrance was plugged up and only a single drop came out. So I'm thankful it didn't run off full of adrenaline because it would have been very hard to track like that.

Still cannot argue with DRT.

I had one of those years ago in an AR. Not long after the 2nd chamber revision (noting the ii). It anchored a small buck where he stood using 120 gr Hornady SST's.

I know it's supposed to have been a bonded bullet and all, but it did not exit and I found a handful of fragments just underneath of the hide on the exit shoulder. It was full of blood but the entrance was plugged up and only a single drop came out. So I'm thankful it didn't run off full of adrenaline because it would have been very hard to track like that.

Still cannot argue with DRT.
120 sst have been know to fragment. I think most now use the 90 good dots on deer.

When I was shooting the 120's, was the first season that they had been producing them, and I had taken it on opening day so I had no way of knowing that then.

But like I said, it anchored it where it stood.

So I’m pretty happy with the results minus the at home spray job lol. It has pretty simple to swap calibers from 224 Valkyrie to 6.8 spc. The only change was to the barrel of course. This was by far the hardest part to get off. It took a 12 ton press with aluminum block, 4ft cheater bar and a aluminum action wrench that had a recoil lug cut out.

Once the action broke free it was able to unscrew by hand. The barrel nut on the other hand we had to tap all the way off with a punch and hammer.

The longest wait was for the barrel which was around 8 months. Columbia River arms did a good job on the barrel and flutes. The prefit was simple and easy. I was able to find a replacement barrel nut from pacific tools and wrench which again a great match. The threads for the barrel and action are 875″ x 28 tpi threads.

[/url]

The load I found for it was 110vmax 28.6gr of h322 at 2.260 at 2650 FPS. That’s 400 FPS over my 12.5 6.8.

The suppressor is the Q trash panda. Even with supersonic loads the sound is like a 22mag.

The riton primal 4x16x44 was a good match and is nice and clear.

Now everything is said and done, what would have I done different. Not sure if I would. I wanted a 6.8 bolt action that used standard AR mags that shoots moa or less, which this guns meets those requirements. In the future I may swap out the chassis to a MDT or ORYX chassis. Cant wait to try it on some varms or crows.

With the recent build of a tac30 13.5”, I may look into trying to build another mossberg mvp in tac30 if i can find a drawing. The reason why my load for the tac30 13.5” 110 nolser varm 2790fps which blows my mind.

Overall pretty happy.

You did very good on that. I like the grey stripes.

Back