• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Game prep/cleaning and recipes!

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Folks, I hope you arent sick of the quail yet! ;)

I have several more we're gonna be eatin soon... I also have a deer hanging in my shed tonight I was given. Its been field dressed and the meat is dry, I just have to dress it out. I'll likely have some processed into ground meat for chili.

But what about some how to's? Anyone wanna share advice on how to get what? How not to waste meat?

I'm about to post some video on cleaning a quail. I'll caution its graphic.

So far, I like quail over a fire, a real honest to goodness fire! A little salt and pepper is all it needs in my opinion!

I'll admit, I'm not sure that I'll be able to watch the vid.... But curiosity killed the cat, so we will see. Lol
I don't know much about the meat but I'll share something we diD with dove and with deer meat too...Get jalapeno peppers, cut in half and remove the seeds. Then put cream cheese in all the halves, then place a small bite sized portion of deer meat or quail on top, then wrap entire stuffed pepper with bacon. Grill on a piece of foil because the cream cheese will drip out some. Viola! Lol, appetizers!

That sounds really good with the jalapenos! AND BACON! It has to be awesome!

Ok heres the video, it isnt bloody, but I pluck the thing somewhat, peel the skin back off the breast and then pull the breast bone meat and all with the wings, seperate from the spinal column, head and legs.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBHhuyconBI[/youtube]

:lol: Thanks Michelle!

Yeah, she is often my shadow... I know I've said somewhere before, there are things we do together, I just wouldnt do at all if she werent with me.

I'm lookin forward to lauren getting a little bigger and taking her with us too! Though that would probably really tick off Allison! I think that would be hilarious! :D

Thanks Michelle! I have yet to look at it, but we're goin out again saturday and will hopefully get a t least a couple more...

I'm on coyote watch tonight. I have a hide hangin outside.

I spent every bit of 3 hours cleanin meat and fat off of it. I got it back from the processor the other day and they dont take the time to peel the skin off, just cut away at the muscle and get it off the animal.

There was quite a bit left on the hide.

Now I dont know if anyone knows a good way to cure it or tan it so it can be kept, but what I'm doin is cutting and scraping off everything that will rot, then soak it with water and cover with sea salt and work it in.

I stretch it and nail it, clean and scrape again, soak and salt again, then restretch and tack. Wash, rinse, repeat as necessary. After several days its decent but not professional.

Anyone prep a different way?

Did you keep the brain that came with the hide?

Using the hide and brain together is how Indians used to do it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osY7ZS2FjgM[/youtube]

And some very useful tips in this video as well for processing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOfMN8Dxkf0[/youtube]

I only use salt on snake skins

rattlesnake001.jpg

Good videos John, Thanks! I still have the head, but its goin to my friend in tact, so I cant get into the brains... and its two weeks old now.

I have kept the skin damp, and I stretch and restretch. The salt worked well to help loosen the fatty tissue and I've fleshed it out really well with litlle exception just around the edges that I'll trimm when its done. That stuff is hardening already.

I fairly well saturated with neats foot oil today and its gonna rain over night and at least all day tomorrow, so after that, I'll stretch it again and then work it to keep it soft as it dries and will probably oil again too.

It looks pretty good, it already has a real short nap to it, almost sueded, and its all white right now.

One recipe I had read included mixing amonia, alum, and neats foot oil in warm water and letting it soak in it for a couple hours at a time and repeating this step a few times... I dont think i want smell that mess! Its gotta be worse than wet dead hide smell...

Back