• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gas to Inertia

Coyote56

I have had (and currently own) auto shotguns in both gas and inertia configurations.
When all is said and done, I’ll take an inertia drive over a gas operated shotgun every time.
After a considerable period of comparison, and weighing the pros and cons, the Benellis and Browning A5 are gonna win out over the Remington, Mossberg, and Beretta. Both systems are (or can be) reliable and effective, but I’m now an Inertia
Disciple.
And of course the pump guns will always have a place

Nothing wrong with liking what you like. But one of the things with blowback guns (inertia) is I think they are more for more experienced shooters. Because with inertia guns, if the shooter doesn't have a solid hold on the gun (limp wristing), or solidly in the shoulder pocket, it's likely to not cycle properly. This is especially true for newer shooters and shooting from the hip or in odd positions (like shooting around a corner or obstacle).

I think they have their place. And under ideal conditions, if you shoot them right, they do just as good as any other shotgun will. But, for a younger or newer shooter, I tend to suggest a gas gun for that reason alone because they tend to be a touch more forgiving and reliable even in adverse situations. And in some thinking about it, all of my semi's are gas piston guns.:idk:

This is one of those times where I'm sure we both could agree, choices are good. There isn't a wrong answer to a good dependable shotgun.

I'd feel naked without my old single shot break actions, pumps, double barrels, etc. But putting food on the table, I'd be just as likely to grab one of my old single shots as I would anything else.

Let's be honest- a good pump or double will do anything you need to with birds, unless you're in the 1% who can actually obtain a sight picture on bird # 2 before you've closed the pump, and even then, the double solves that problem.

Hogs, bear, and social situations where you need heavy overwhelming volumes of fire are where autos shine. As noted, inertia guns can be problematic, depending on your position, although that can, to a limited degree, be overcome with a push-pull motion that takes some practice.

I came around to the 930 because it is reliable with a broader range of shells and has a significantly heavier barrel wall.

With either inertia or gas, if the cycling isn't keeping up, worst case scenario, you can still run it as fast as a pump with an underhand bolt-action swipe.

Edit to add: most gas guns are "not what they could be," without a fair bit of work, also, the best adaptation one could make to an inertial gun would be to adapt it to use the OR3Gun Field MSR.

Last edited:
Indeed there is a place for just about any shotgun platform one may care to utilize…my arsenal includes inertia (Browning, Benelli), gas (Remington, Beretta, and for the time being Mossberg), pump (Benelli, Browning), O/U (Browning, Beretta, Winchester). They all get the job done. Just boils down to personal preference.
Side note on “limp wristing). A shooting friend was having a horrible time getting his Beretta Silver Pigeon to fire the second round; trigger would not reset. Problem was eventually diagnosed as shooter error at he was not holding the shotgun firmly enough to allow the inertia triggers to reset.
Problem was eventually solved by means of going to a mechanical trigger set……..
I suppose I should look into perhaps getting another SxS. Only one I ever owned was a Stoeger rebranded Boito…what a mess

I agree coyote56. Any good shotgun is a good shotgun. Period. And as I said earlier, choices are good.

I only have one double barrel. An O/U tristar turkish import. Though in all fairness, it's made by the same company that makes the mossberg silver reserve 2, which mossberg also imports from turkey of course. And they also import the SA20 (semiauto 20 gauge) from some company in turkey too.

Stevens was importing an 870 clone from china a few years ago.

Stevens is importing a 16 gauge double barrel from turkey right now that I would LOVE to own, but not at the $800 price point that you see them listed at. I'd be afraid to ever get a scratch on it from using it and walking through briar thickets.

So, give me the cheap used rack at the pawn shop and I'm content. Good old American steel and wood that has been going strong for 75 years or more and still working as good today as the day it was built.

I like my guns. I'm not going to lie. But, I'm also very utilitarian when it comes to my hunting tools. I was very serious that I'm just as content with an old break action single shot. Because I am.

I bought an old 16 gauge pump Noble shotgun a while back for $95. Sometimes it's just a deal that you can't walk away from and that was one of those.

I'll admit though, that gun took a lot of cleaning and TLC to get it back into servicable condition. The plastic wad fouling was so thick that I had to use a wire brush and a cordless drill to clean the barrel out. It was pathetic the condition someone allowed that gun to get in. Even the trigger group was almost seized because of all the fouling inside that had never been taken apart and cleaned. Pitiful. But, I got the old gun for a song. And a couple of hours cleaning it was worth the time to do so.

I've only ever owned gas operated semi autos in various configurations. I've never had issues.

Having never owned an inertia gun, what was the major positive to the inertial systems that made you decide you liked that system over gas?

Back