• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Getting responses from reps

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
So, over this past week, I've begun getting replies from the reps I've sent letters.

Responses are more less what I've expected. A LOT of form letter responses! What I've done, is to use the email addy in the responses to readdress my reps, often the email addy in the reply differs from website addys. Sometimes it works, sometimes you get something saying you can't send anything to that addy.

Now, I have received from very positive responses. I've been assured by most reps, including our Gov, that further restrictions are not on the table nor would they even be entertained. I'm paraphrasing, generalizing statement of several replies.

One rep in particular, Sen. Brown, I've had some exchange with, not necessarily amicable. He actually stopped responding. I got his form response, which said, if you have any specific concerns I'd be happy to hear them. So I'm thinkin, "hello? What about the specific issue I just mentioned?" I later received something very lengthy about mental health.

So I replied the the addy and got more from him. Hardly a mention about defending 2nd Amendment right. In fact what I just typed is about the length of what was in his reply. Its been heated between us before, but I've said to him in the past voters remember voting records and he still got reelected. I'm sayin the same stuff but he gets kind of billigerent. I've not been red with him, I've been firm, but polite. Doesn't really matter, he skirts the topic and redirects the conversation.

I'm tryin here, but honestly, some are reassuring, while others seem willing to basically tell constituents what they can do with it. The threat of bein recalled doesn't phase them cuz they continue to be reelected...

You know who the enemy is? Its these people! Remember what I've said about representation? This is what I'm talkin about. I hope other are receiving positive replies and wonder if anyone else hasexperienced law makersdoin the equivilant of flippin you an electronic bird through email. I think this is why it will be important to confront lawmakers in person and in public in whatever capacity we're able via the rallies at our capitols. I'm still tryin to make arrangements for the 8th, emails and the like will only go so far.

I have actually seen a couple decent return emails.....albeit from a forked tongue politician that is an expert at telling folks what they want to hear, I have to admit it was more than I thought I would see

I got the samed canned response from Sen Stabenow that I have gotten from every letter I have ever sent.

I also got a respnse back from a random staffer at the Governers office.

I keep sending emails and letters though. If enough people do it and they are swamped with letters maybe, just maybe be it will illicit something. I have to do it. I just can't sit back and do nothing.

"I just can't sit back and do nothing."

Same here, I couldn't live with myself letting other people do this for me. Especially if I can't make the next rally, we ALL need to be doing something!

I guess the moral of my story, is to keep redirecting the conversation despite form letter responses, try to nail down a position from them, try to get some record of their stance on gun control at the very least.

Thank You, Brad, for the efforts you have put forth. I have not met an LEO anywhere who is behind the proposed restrictions on gun ownership. On their behalf I say thank you to everyone who battles gun restrictions and magazine limitations.

I have yet to get a responce from Sen. Blumenthal and Chris Murphy...not even a canned letter.

Just sent another round of email to absolutely everyone, somethin a little more firm, but still polite.

In the past few weeks, I've been on a campaign writing all my elected officials in the Fd up state of Maryland. I contacted the senate judicial proceedings committee first, out of the nine, four sent back emails stating that " they are pro 2nd amendment and will vote against any bill doing so". I also received a total of 12 emails, 11 saying they will vote against any weapons ban. But this state has seen only 1 republican governor in my 49 years of living. Prince George's, Montgomery, Baltimore city, and Baltimore counties have the largest populations and the most influence in Annapolis when it comes to passing laws, and they also have the largest amount of crime involving guns. And if it passes I will no longer be able to take any of my rifles or semi-auto pistols out of my house for anything, because if I do I will be locked up for five years, guns taken and not able to own a gun as long as I live. Anybody have a room for rent? :cry:

Dear Dr. Honovich:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about restricting gun ownership. I appreciate having the benefit of your views on this important issue and welcome the opportunity to respond.

I believe we all have the basic right to live in communities free from fear and violence. That is why I support gun safety initiatives, including the Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, and why I continue to work to mandate child safety locks on firearms, close the gun show loophole, and keep guns out of the hands of children and criminals.

Legislation pertaining to permits and firearms issues is referred to the House Judiciary Committee. Although I am not a member of this Committee, rest assured I will continue to monitor this issue closely, keeping your views in mind.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. If you would like more information on this or other issues, or to sign up for my regular e-newsletter, visit my website at www.lowey.house.gov. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can help you in any way.

Sincerely,

Nita Lowey
Member of Congress

Dear Timothy,

Thank you for contacting me about gun control. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, January 16, 2013, President Obama announced a variety of gun policy measures in response to the Newtown, CT killings. I therefore value knowing your views on this important issue, which is important to me as I carefully review the President's proposals. Like many Pennsylvanians, I believe that Second Amendment rights are important and must be protected, but there may be areas of agreement with the White House that can be addressed to improve public safety. I also believe that people who use guns in an illegal manner or harm others with them should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

That said, we have consistently observed that mass killings are the result of serious mental illness. We therefore need to better protect ourselves from mentally ill individuals who seek to carry out such atrocities, including improved background checks. We also need to review and improve how we take care of the mentally ill. As I continue working with my Senate colleagues on both sides of the aisle on public safety, please be assured that I will keep your views about firearms in mind.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Signature

Pat Toomey
U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

I've sent out 4 emails to Sen's Brown and Portman, Rep Boehner and Gov Kasich. Portman's and Kasich's are below. Brown's was a typical "we will look at everything and make the appropriate decision".
------------------------------------------------
Dear Howard,

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about the President's gun control proposals. It is good to hear from you.

As you know, President Obama recently issued 23 executive actions and endorsed gun control legislative initiatives following the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

I had hoped President Obama would look to address the root causes of senseless acts of violence and work with Congress to develop a comprehensive plan to lessen the likelihood of these kinds of tragic incidents in the future. Unfortunately, the President has chosen to act unilaterally wherever he can and focus on new gun bans which I believe would undermine the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.

In response to tragic attacks like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary, I remain committed to ensuring that those who suffer from mental illness, a common thread in these instances, receive proper care, that current gun laws are enforced, and that school safety is enhanced as we address the deeper issue of violence in our society.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact my office. For more information, please visit my website at www.portman.senate.gov. Please keep in touch. EMAIL.BEGINHIDE.MERGE

Sincerely,
Rob Portman
U.S. Senator
--------------------------------------------------------

Dear Howard:

Like all Americans, I was horrified as the tragedies of Friday, December 14th unfolded in Newtown, Connecticut. The deplorable act of violence that took the lives of innocent children and adults is beyond reason, and I pray that, in time, the families of the victims and the people of that community are able to find peace.

As you no doubt recall, we were all reminded of the evil that exists in our world when six students were shot, three fatally, at Chardon High School in Geauga County on February 27th, 2012. In the aftermath, the heroic stories of the first responders, teachers and staff who acted swiftly and selflessly to protect others showed true courage.

Since that tragic event, and in the wake of the recent tragedy in Newtown, the absolute necessity for school officials, parents, students and first responders to be trained and practiced in responding to these unthinkable crimes is of utmost importance. Various state and local agencies, including the Ohio Office of Homeland Security and the Ohio Department of Education, have worked collaboratively to implement, review and drill response plans. Moreover, these occasions of violence and heartache should give us all pause to think about how we treat each other, and the value we as a society place upon every life.

With regard to calls for legislation in response to these events, it is my belief that we will be best served by enforcing those laws that currently exist. And, in the weeks and months that follow, we should learn as much as possible about how this happened, and what steps we can take, including mental health awareness and school safety protocols, to guard against the senseless loss of innocent life ever again.

I appreciate your taking the time to write. Please join me and my family in continuing to keep the communities of Chardon and Newtown, and all innocent victims of violence, in our prayers. Thank you.

Gov Kasich

I've received the exact same reply from Sherrod Brown for the last 4 emails I've sent him, these are after receiving the formletter response. It almost looks like he's actually replying, then you realize you've already seen the exact same thing.

Wish I could copy and paste it ...

Two responses from Sherrod Brown:

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for expressing your concerns over gun control and access to mental health care.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, we as a country must take action. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demand that we engage in a serious national discussion.

Many people have expressed concerns about holes in our mental health care system that contributes to violence. Though people with mental illness are not at an increased risk of behaving violently in general, there is a subset of individuals with mental illness who are at risk of violent behavior of the kinds we have seen in public gathering places.

Over the last few years, Congress has passed laws to improve the mental health system so individuals in need of psychiatric evaluation, treatment, and support do not fall through the cracks. Several components of these laws have yet to be fully implemented.

In a bipartisan effort to ensure that mental and behavioral health services are covered by insurance in a manner equivalent to medical and surgical services. Congress passed the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act in 2008 This law prohibits insurance companies from arbitrarily limiting the number of hospital days or outpatient treatment sessions a patient is granted, as well as prohibiting higher copayments or deductibles for subscribers who seek psychological services. Such practices by insurance companies were both wrong and counterproductive. This legislation will help the 54 million Americans with mental illness gain access to appropriate and affordable treatment. My Senate colleagues and I have been working with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to ensure this law is fully implemented. Additionally, I and several of my colleagues sent a letter to President Obama asking him and HHS to fully implement the law.

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) is also working to improve access to mental and behavioral health services. Individuals in Ohio who have been denied insurance coverage due to a pre-existing mental health condition can now access the new Ohio High-Risk Insurance pool. For more information on the high risk pool or to sign-up for coverage, please visit http://www.insurance.ohio.gov/Documents ... olFAQs.pdf

The ACA immediately eliminated pre-existing coverage exclusions for children. Kids will no longer be denied coverage — or have services excluded from coverage — as a result of pre-existing conditions. Additionally, parents of young adults can now maintain coverage for their children until age 26. Serious mental illness is often first noticed in the late teens or early twenties, when the brain is changing rapidly and when pressures to perform are great. It is crucial that young adults with existing or emerging mental illnesses not experience lapses in coverage at this time of high risk.

Beginning in 2014, insurance companies can no longer deny coverage to individuals with mental illness and insurers cannot use mental illness as a reason to raise premiums. HHS also established an essential benefits package — a set of health care service categories that must be covered by most plans — that will take effect in 2014. Mental health and substance abuse disorder services will be part of this package.

The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act and the ACA represent tremendous strides forward for mental health coverage and access. However, we must also re-examine our mental health safety net, which has faced unrelenting budget cuts, reducing access for some our most vulnerable citizens.

Finally, we must work to reduce the stigma attached to mental health treatment, and find ways to support families who are concerned about the mental health status of their loved ones. It is essential that families know about the mental health resources available to them, and that they understand they have allies and other resources to which they can turn. Education about signs of mental illness, how to obtain a mental health screening, and how to access treatment services are simple but key ingredients to a successful national plan for managing mental health crises.

Gun violence is a complex issue and we must work together to uphold our Constitution while at the same time ensuring that our communities are safe. We can and must act to make such tragedies less likely in the future. Should any legislation concerning gun control and access to mental and behavioral health care come before the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

-----------------------------
Dear Mr. :

Thank you for expressing your views about firearms legislation.

As a United States Senator, I took an oath to defend the Constitution. The Second Amendment makes clear that Americans have the right to own guns, and the Supreme Court over time has given meaning to this right.

When our children and families are no longer safe at our schools, in our malls, and in our movie theaters, then we as a country must take action. The shocking numbers of public shootings throughout the country last year, culminating in Newtown, Connecticut, demands that we engage in a serious national discussion about gun violence, not just in terms of weapons and bullets, but also including mental health access, public safety officers, and our responsibility both as individuals and a society.

Like all rights, it must be balanced against others. I have supported restrictions on the possession of assault-style weapons so our public safety officers are not put at increased risk, and restrictions on the ability of criminals to possess handguns but I fully support the right of Ohioans to own firearms.

Should the Senate consider this issue in the future, I will support common-sense reforms that protect both public safety and the rights of gun owners. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

My two latest responses:

US Senator Carl Levin said:
Dear Mr. MikeD.:

Thank you for contacting me about gun safety issues. I appreciate you sharing your views with me.

I support sensible gun safety laws and strict enforcement of those laws to help prevent crimes, suicides and violence committed with firearms. I support the steps President Obama outlined recently to curb the gun violence that plagues our nation, and I believe Congress can and should work to enact legislation to prevent gun violence without infringing on the rights of law-abiding citizens.

I was an original cosponsor of the Brady Law (P.L.103-159). This law requires prospective handgun purchasers to undergo criminal background checks before purchasing a firearm from a licensed dealer. The background check system is able to make 92 percent of background check determinations on the spot, and since 1994, has prevented more than 1.5 million firearm purchases. Additionally, according to Centers for Disease Control statistics, since the Brady Law went into effect, the number of gun deaths in the United States dropped 22 percent, from 39,595 in 1993 to 30,769 in 2007. The number of gun homicides dropped by more than 29 percent, from 17,024 in 1993 to 12,129 in 2007.

While the Brady Law has been successful in reducing gun violence, I believe more has to be done. For example, only 60 percent of all gun sales in the United States take place at licensed federal dealers, where background checks are mandatory. The remaining 40 percent of gun sales are conducted by unlicensed individual sellers, often at gun shows, and a background check is not required. This means that across our nation, any dangerous individual can go to a gun show and purchase a deadly weapon without any form of background check. To close this ‘gun show loophole,’ I am a cosponsor of the Gun Show Background Check Act. This bill would enact the common sense principle that anyone who wants to purchase a firearm at a gun show should be able to pass a simple background check. Ten national police organizations support closing this loophole.

Additionally, I am a cosponsor of the Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act, a bill that seeks to reduce gun violence by keeping firearms out of the hands of terrorists and criminals. Although hard to believe, nothing in current law prohibits individuals on terrorist watch lists from purchasing firearms, unless they fall into another disqualifying category. This “terror gap” in federal law must be closed, and this bill would do just that. This legislation would deny the transfer of a firearm when a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background check reveals that the prospective purchaser is a known or suspected terrorist and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the purchaser may use the firearm in connection with terrorism. Keeping guns out of the hands of terrorists is just common sense.

I also have always supported the rights of sportsmen and hunters. Hunting is a way of life for millions of Americans and plays an integral role in modern wildlife management. But military style assault weapons have no sporting purpose. Because of these weapons, our nation’s citizens are in greater danger and police officers across the country are encountering criminals armed with highly lethal military style weapons.

To support our law enforcement community and to save lives, I am a cosponsor of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2013. This legislation would prevent the future possession, manufacture, sale and importation of assault-type weapons while grandfathering weapons lawfully possessed at the date of the bill’s enactment. It would ban firearms with detachable magazines and military style features, such as grenade launchers, protruding pistol grips, and barrel shrouds. It would support law enforcement officers across our nation, who should not be forced to confront lawbreakers toting military arms. And it would protect the rights of hunters by specifically naming thousands of firearms with legitimate sporting, sentimental or other value that would remain legal to possess.

This bill also would ban high capacity ammunition magazines. Studies have shown that high capacity ammunition magazines are used in 31 to 41 percent of fatal police shootings in cities across our nation. They also have been used by the perpetrators of numerous mass shootings, including at Columbine High School, Virginia Tech, the Tucson shooting of Representative Gabrielle Giffords and 19 others, the attack on a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, and the horrifying shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The Newtown shooting alone left twenty six people dead, twenty of them children.

We must not wait until more places are added to this heartbreaking list. We can and should act swiftly to protect our families and loved ones from mass shootings. These measures have the overwhelming support of law enforcement communities around our nation, who have implored us to make changes to stop the flood of these types of weapons into the hands of those who would use them for harm. I will continue to work for common-sense gun safety measures.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Carl Levin

levin.senate.gov
US Senator Debbie Stabenow said:
Dear MikeD.

Thank you for contacting me about the tragic and senseless violence in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns with me.

If there is anything that deeply unites Americans across the country it is our love for our children and grandchildren and our desire to keep them safe. In the wake of the heartbreaking tragedy at Sandy Hook elementary, all of us must come together to determine what steps can be taken to protect our children. That means discussing how we can strengthen our gun laws to help stop attacks like this from happening again, while protecting responsible gun ownership and preserving our hunting heritage. It also means strengthening mental health services, and focusing on the broader culture of violence in the media and our society. These solutions may not be easy, but one thing should be clear – complacency and inaction until the next attack must not be an option.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator

Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM4:34 PM
Message starred
from Glass, Glen Delegate to recipients
2nd Amendment Protection
Show Details
1 Attachment17.9KBSlideshowSave to Computer

Dear Friend,

I was recently appointed to the prestigious House Judiciary Committee. I am extremely happy about this move because it will give me the opportunity to stand up for our 2nd Amendment rights. I firmly believe, in accord with the founders, that our right to own firearms stands next in importance to the constitution itself. Firearms represent our liberty and are the keystone to our independence. I believe that an atmosphere of armed citizenry restrains evil — and deserves a place of honor and respect in our society.
I absolutely uphold the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, a right which antedated the Constitution, and was solemnly confirmed by the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution. I have always supported and defended the law-abiding citizen’s God-given right to gun ownership because self-defense is the key to maintaining life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
As a Delegate, I will continue to call for the protection of such fundamental individual rights as recognized in the Supreme Court's decisions: District of Columbia v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago, which both codified our right and responsibility to safely use and store firearms.
As long as I am able, I will support our fundamental right to self-defense wherever a law-abiding citizen has a legal right to be, and I support all legislation that expands the exercise of that right, by allowing those with state-issued carry permits to carry firearms for their protection.

Glen

This is one of the many responses that I have been receiving in the past week from members of Maryland's state house on gun control, now this makes 5 out of 9 on the judicial committee who will vote no against gun control in Maryland

Archer, I've received those too! Well sort of. Actually variations of those, but the same paragraphs. Only pieced together in different emails.

Back