• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Getting responses from reps

I actually got a hand written response from our state rep, Peterson.

It was written in ink on personal stationary thanking me for fighting to protect our rights and for holding our elected officials and government accountable.

Nice. I wish I'd get something like that. I did get an editorial in the Sundays News on the DHS buying personal defens weapons and my local rep who does answer back signed onto a PA frirarms protection bill. Senator casey go the nastiest letter I have written...the traitor.

Got a response today from my Rep. 6th District of Tennessee, Diane Black...

Thank you for contacting me concerning gun control and our 2nd Amendment rights. I appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts on this important issue.

As you may know, the tragedies in Newtown, Connecticut and Aurora, Colorado have prompted some lawmakers to consider new weapons bans, such as the recent legislation proposed by Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) which would prohibit the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of so-called "assault weapons" as well as large ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

While I believe that these horrific events warrant a serious discussion on what can be done to prevent future violence, I do not believe that greater government restrictions on gun ownership offer a viable solution to this problem and am not supportive of additional firearm bans; including the AR-15 rifle.

As a handgun carry permit holder and a lifetime member of the NRA, I believe that our 2nd Amendment rights are fundamental and must be protected. The discussion on gun control by the main stream media and some of my colleagues in Congress will only treat the symptoms of these tragic events, doing little to address the root cause behind how these incidents occur. Furthermore, they operate on the completely misguided premise that criminals will obey gun laws.

Instead of this approach, we must work to strengthen families and empower parents to provide safe home environments for their children and to recognize aggressive behaviors early on. Additionally, we must work with our communities to curb the trend of desensitization to violence, profanity and other high-risk behaviors glamorized by videogames and movies that often consume children's time, and shift to a culture that respects the sanctity and value of each innocent human life.

As a nurse for more than 40 years, I believe we must be prepared for a conversation on school violence as it relates to mental health. While many details remain unclear regarding the motives of the gunmen in the Newtown, Connecticut and Aurora, Colorado tragedies, we know that these individual were among the millions of Americans with a mental disorder, and may have benefitted from treatment options or more frequent opportunities to speak with counselors. Examples such as this are among the many reasons I continue to advocate for patient-centered healthcare reforms that will offer those facing mental disabilities access to the care that they need.

As discussion continues over what can be done to stop future acts of violence and keep our citizens safe, rest assured that I will work to achieve these goals in a way that upholds the provisions of the 2nd Amendment and protects the rights of private citizens.

Sincerely,

Diane Black
Member of Congress

Also got a response from Senator Lamar Alexander today...

Thanks very much for getting in touch with me and letting me know what’s on your mind regarding the right to bear arms.

I’m a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights. Congress should not pass laws that take away these rights from law abiding citizens and leave criminals to terrorize the streets. Good citizens don’t abuse guns – criminals do. I will continue to support legislative efforts to protect the Second Amendment rights of law abiding Americans, and oppose efforts to overturn the Second Amendment.

In two recent cases, the U.S. Supreme Court clearly held that the Second Amendment protects the right of individual Americans to keep and bear arms. In the 2008 case, D.C. v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that D.C.’s restrictive gun laws violated the constitutional rights of Americans. Two years later, in McDonald v. Chicago, the court struck down the city of Chicago’s handgun ban and held that, like the federal government, state and local governments must respect Second Amendment rights. I joined legal briefs in both cases in defense of this constitutional right and was pleased with the Supreme Court’s decisions.

I am grateful you took the time to let me know where you stand. I’ll be sure to keep your comments in mind as Second Amendment rights are discussed and debated in Washington and in Tennessee.

Sincerely,
Lamar

Got one more this afternoon...

Thank you very much for writing to me regarding your support of the Second Amendment and for expressing your opposition to more restrictive gun laws.

You may already know that I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. During my time in state office I have worked to pass laws that allow more freedom for responsible gun owners. Please visit my website at http://www.susanlynn.net and click on the RECORD link to see many of the pro Second Amendment proposals for which I have voted. And truly, like me, most Tennessee state legislators in Nashville support the Second Amendment as does our Governor, Bill Haslam.

However, the President and many members in the U.S. Congress in Washington D. C. are seeking to make our guns laws more restrictive – violating our Second Amendment Rights. I am not a federal lawmaker in Washington but a state lawmaker in Nashville. So, like you, I will be watching and expressing my opposition to more restrictive gun laws out of Washington DC.

In his State of the State address about three weeks ago, the Governor proposed adding more funding for mental health services in Tennessee in order to address the real issue behind the several shootings. I will vote in support of his proposals when the legislation comes before me in committee and on the floor.

There are a number of such bills filed that would prevent enforcement of any federal law to ban guns in our state. I do hope that one of them passes this session. I also believe such should be found to be constitutionally sound as in United States v. Lopez 514 U.S. 549 (1995), a federal law mandating a "gun-free zone" on and around public school campuses was struck down because, the Supreme Court ruled, there was no clause in the Constitution authorizing it.

This is a very good sign that the state has the right to ignore other federal gun laws that are not authorized by the U.S. Constitution. The Feds may bring us to court but this 1995 case is a good sign that they have no authority to command such laws.

In addition, if you'd like to see all of the gun legislation, please visit my web site. I provide an easy method to view the proposed laws with which you may have an interest:

http://www.susanlynn.net
On the menu bar click on Bills
Under bill search click on BILL SUBJECT

All current bills can be found by subject.

If you don’t mind, I would like to add you to my email list. That way you will be able to more easily follow the progress of bill with which you have interest and you will be able to quickly respond to me with any questions or concerns.

Thank you again for writing.

Rep. Susan Lynn
District 57
http://www.susanlynn.net

Got another reply on a separate topic from one of my Congressmen(women)...

Sequester Shows the President's Failure to Lead

At midnight tonight President Obama’s sequester will go into effect. As even the president will admit, his sequester is the wrong way to reduce the deficit. The difference is: the House Republicans have offered an alternative, where as the president has not. With my support, the Republican-led House has passed legislation, HR 5652 & HR 6684, to replace the president’s sequester with common sense cuts and reforms that would lead to a balanced budget in a decade. The president has refused to put forward any plan to replace his arbitrary, across-the-board sequester cuts. Instead, he has traveled thousands of miles across the country using scare tactics and misinformation to fuel his reckless campaign for more tax hikes, in spite of the fact that he already got more than $600 billion in tax hikes with the fiscal cliff deal two months prior. Moreover, the Democrat-controlled Senate has ignored the House sequester replacement bills and waited until hours before the deadline to vote on a gimmicky tax hike bill, which ultimately failed to gain the support needed for passage.

By offering no specific plan for reallocating the sequester cuts, the president is needlessly jeopardizing our national security and public safety. For example, the Department of Homeland Security recently indicated that approximately 5,000 border patrol agents will be let go and hundreds of illegal immigrants currently detained will be released. I sent a letter to the U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano yesterday demanding answers about how and why the department is not taking steps within its legal authority to cut wasteful spending and eliminate low priority positions, such as its politically appointed illegal alien lobbyist position. There are certainly alternative ways to cut two - three percent in spending out of nearly $4 trillion in annual federal expenditures, particularly at a time when federal spending has doubled in the last decade and America is more than $16 trillion dollars in debt. The House has put forward our solutions to replace the arbitrary sequester cuts with responsible, targeted reductions and reforms that would not undermine public safety or national security.

While the sequester is certainly problematic, a failure to cut any spending at all by delaying or eliminating these cuts would be far worse for the fiscal stability of our nation. America is fast approaching a debt crisis, unless action is taken to reverse course. Ultimately, in order to revive our struggling economy, expand opportunity and prosperity, and ensure America maintains its leading role in the world, it is imperative that Washington stops spending money we do not have by cutting wasteful spending, ridding out fraud and abuse and reforming our broken entitlement programs.

Sincerely,

Diane Black
Member of Congress

I finally got one from ol Dick B..

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thank you for your message regarding gun control legislation. I appreciate hearing from you.

I support the right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear firearms as protected under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. I have consistently said that the Second Amendment, as well as the Constitution of the State of Connecticut, secures for individuals a fundamental, constitutional right to bear arms. In considering any gun-related proposals, I am mindful that the Supreme Court has ruled that any regulations on firearms must be narrowly drawn and carefully drafted to pass constitutional muster.

There are several proposals to address our nation’s problem of gun violence currently being discussed by the Senate that fully respect Second Amendment rights. I am honored to serve on the Senate Judiciary Committee, and as I consider any gun violence legislation, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for your message. Please feel free to contact me in the future with any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Richard Blumenthal
United States Senate

If you would like to contact me again on this issue or another issue, please do not respond to this email address. Please, instead, use the contact form on my website: https://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/contact. I look forward to hearing from you

And one more....

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for your message regarding Second Amendment rights and recent changes to the Senate rules. I appreciate hearing your concerns and will keep them in mind.

As the result of a bipartisan compromise, the Senate recently passed careful changes to the Senate rules to reform the way that filibusters can be used. There were a record number of filibusters during the 112th Congress on a range of otherwise routine motions that should not have been controversial. The abuse of the rules in the Senate is a primary reason that jobs bills were not passed and important nominations were not brought to a vote.

Despite what you may have heard, these rule changes do not infringe upon minority party rights. While Senators can no longer filibuster the Motion to Proceed, they will continue to be able to filibuster the vote on passage of any legislation. The rule changes also established a minimum number of amendments during floor debate, thus ensuring that the minority party has the ability to offer amendments.

Law-abiding Americans’ right to keep and bear firearms is protected under the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. In considering any proposals related to firearms, I am mindful that the Supreme Court has ruled that any regulations on firearms must be carefully drafted to protect Constitutional rights. Recent rule changes do not override this important protection.

Thank you again for your message. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Richard Blumenthal
United States Senate

If you would like to contact me again on this issue or another issue, please do not respond to this email address. Please, instead, use the contact form on my website: https://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/contact. I look forward to hearing from you.

Actually got an e-mail response from the White House today.

It's essentially a written copy of BO's last public address on "Gun Violence" and not worth posting. I found it interesting that I at least got SOME kind of reply, even if it is a statement to the effect that they didn't read my letter and just clicked auto-reply...

Nothing from him is worth posting....except his letter of resignation.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Actually got an e-mail response from the White House today.

It's essentially a written copy of BO's last public address on "Gun Violence" and not worth posting. I found it interesting that I at least got SOME kind of reply, even if it is a statement to the effect that they didn't read my letter and just clicked auto-reply...

Ditto...same here. At least he is hearing from us. Well, he himself probably isn't but if they are keeping tabs on the numbers maybe he'll get that.

Dear John:

Thank you for taking the time to write. I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy and gun violence in our Nation, and I appreciate your perspective. From Aurora to Newtown to the streets of Chicago, we have seen the devastating effects gun violence has on our American family. I join countless others in grieving for all those whose lives have been taken too soon by gun violence.

Like the majority of Americans, I believe the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that has been handed down from generation to generation. Hunting and sport shooting are part of our national heritage. Yet, even as we acknowledge that almost all gun owners in America are responsible, when we look at the devastation caused by gun violence—whether in high-profile tragedies or the daily heartbreak that plagues our cities—we must ask ourselves whether we are doing enough.

While reducing gun violence is a complicated challenge, protecting our children from harm should not be a divisive one. Most gun owners agree that we can respect the Second Amendment while keeping an irresponsible, law-breaking few from inflicting harm on a massive scale. Most also agree that if we took commonsense steps to curtail gun violence, there would be fewer atrocities like the one that occurred in Newtown. We will not be able to stop every violent act, but if there is even one thing we can do to reduce gun violence—if even one life can be saved—then we have an obligation to try.

That is why I asked Vice President Joe Biden to identify concrete steps we can take to keep our children safe, help prevent mass shootings, and reduce the broader epidemic of gun violence in this country. He met with over 200 groups representing a broad cross-section of Americans and heard their best ideas. I have put forward a specific set of proposals based off of his efforts, and in the days ahead, I intend to use whatever weight this office holds to make them a reality.

My plan gives law enforcement, schools, mental health professionals, and the public health community some of the tools they need to help reduce gun violence. These tools include strengthening the background check system, helping schools hire more resource officers and counselors and develop emergency preparedness plans, and ensuring mental health professionals know their options for reporting threats of violence. And I directed the Centers for Disease Control to study the best ways to reduce gun violence—because it is critical that we understand the science behind this public health crisis.

As important as these steps are, they are not a substitute for action from Congress. To make a real and lasting difference, members of Congress must also act. As part of my comprehensive plan, I have called on them to pass some specific proposals right away. First, it is time to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun. Second, Congress should renew the 10-round limit on magazines and reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban. We should get tougher on those who buy guns with the purpose of selling them to criminals, and we should impose serious punishments on anyone who helps them do this.

These are reasonable, commonsense measures that have the support of the majority of the American people. But change will not come unless the American people demand it from their lawmakers. Now is the time to do the right thing for our children, our communities, and the country we love. We owe the victims of heartbreaking national tragedies and the countless unheralded tragedies each year nothing less than our best effort—to seek consensus in order to save lives and ensure a brighter future for our children.

Thank you, again, for writing. I encourage you to visit www.WhiteHouse.gov/NowIsTheTime to learn more about my Administration’s approach.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

Dear Friend:

Thank you for taking the time to write. I have heard from many Americans regarding firearms policy and gun violence in our Nation, and I appreciate your perspective. From Aurora to Newtown to the streets of Chicago, we have seen the devastating effects gun violence has on our American family. I join countless others in grieving for all those whose lives have been taken too soon by gun violence.

Like the majority of Americans, I believe the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. In this country, we have a strong tradition of gun ownership that has been handed down from generation to generation. Hunting and sport shooting are part of our national heritage. Yet, even as we acknowledge that almost all gun owners in America are responsible, when we look at the devastation caused by gun violence—whether in high-profile tragedies or the daily heartbreak that plagues our cities—we must ask ourselves whether we are doing enough.

While reducing gun violence is a complicated challenge, protecting our children from harm should not be a divisive one. Most gun owners agree that we can respect the Second Amendment while keeping an irresponsible, law-breaking few from inflicting harm on a massive scale. Most also agree that if we took commonsense steps to curtail gun violence, there would be fewer atrocities like the one that occurred in Newtown. We will not be able to stop every violent act, but if there is even one thing we can do to reduce gun violence—if even one life can be saved—then we have an obligation to try.

That is why I asked Vice President Joe Biden to identify concrete steps we can take to keep our children safe, help prevent mass shootings, and reduce the broader epidemic of gun violence in this country. He met with over 200 groups representing a broad cross-section of Americans and heard their best ideas. I have put forward a specific set of proposals based off of his efforts, and in the days ahead, I intend to use whatever weight this office holds to make them a reality.

My plan gives law enforcement, schools, mental health professionals, and the public health community some of the tools they need to help reduce gun violence. These tools include strengthening the background check system, helping schools hire more resource officers and counselors and develop emergency preparedness plans, and ensuring mental health professionals know their options for reporting threats of violence. And I directed the Centers for Disease Control to study the best ways to reduce gun violence—because it is critical that we understand the science behind this public health crisis.

As important as these steps are, they are not a substitute for action from Congress. To make a real and lasting difference, members of Congress must also act. As part of my comprehensive plan, I have called on them to pass some specific proposals right away. First, it is time to require a universal background check for anyone trying to buy a gun. Second, Congress should renew the 10-round limit on magazines and reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban. We should get tougher on those who buy guns with the purpose of selling them to criminals, and we should impose serious punishments on anyone who helps them do this.

These are reasonable, commonsense measures that have the support of the majority of the American people. But change will not come unless the American people demand it from their lawmakers. Now is the time to do the right thing for our children, our communities, and the country we love. We owe the victims of heartbreaking national tragedies and the countless unheralded tragedies each year nothing less than our best effort—to seek consensus in order to save lives and ensure a brighter future for our children.

Thank you, again, for writing. I encourage you to visit www.WhiteHouse.gov/NowIsTheTime to learn more about my Administration’s approach.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

I got "friend"...

Don't you just love form letters DHonovich?

Back