• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ghost Guns

John, suspect there are thousands, if not millions, of homemade weapons out there.

Plus, many folks know how to make powder, primers and cast their own bullets or shot.

Those with initiative will survive!

Regards

Yeah, I really need to learn how to make my own powder.

I've looked into it a little. But, I really need to get serious about it. It's about the only thing I don't know how to do at this point.

I think I have The Anarchist's Cookbook should any one want to read it for "entertainment/educational" purposes. ;) PM me and I'll send you a copy...

I think I have The Anarchist's Cookbook should any one want to read it for "entertainment/educational" purposes. ;) PM me and I'll send you a copy...
That book will get you killed, much of that has been debunked as being extremely dangerous! The Poor Man's James Bond is much better.

That book will get you killed, much of that has been debunked as being extremely dangerous! The Poor Man's James Bond is much better.
I'm aware of that, hence "e/e" disclaimer... ;) I DID download both vols of PMJB from archive.org. I also have a US Army "Improvised Explosives" handbook from the Viet Nam war. Will I ever use the info from any of these books? No. Could I ever use the info from any of these books? Yes, but will I ever use the info from any of these books and the answer is still no. ;)

I haven’t seen anyone who’s making modern slow burning powder at home. I thought people were only making like black powder with Willow charcoal.

BANG!

I thought it was oak or other hardwood.

The old school recipe for gunpowder I remember was 75% Potassium Nitrate, 15% Charcoal and 10% Sulfur

Decades ago people used a commonly found product called saltpeter (potassium nitrate), ground up some homemade charcoal and pure sulfur from the drug store.

I don't remember much about changing the above ratios to change the burn rate nor how the actual mixing was done. Too many years (decades) ago guys!

The old school recipe for gunpowder I remember was 75% Potassium Nitrate, 15% Charcoal and 10% Sulfur

Decades ago people used a commonly found product called saltpeter (potassium nitrate), ground up some homemade charcoal and pure sulfur from the drug store.

I don't remember much about changing the above ratios to change the burn rate nor how the actual mixing was done. Too many years (decades) ago guys!

I made some with my chemistry set when I was 10 years old. And it worked! Nearly singed my eyebrows off when I lit it off in the driveway!

Years ago people made charcoal at home using hard woods like oak, hickory, cherry or mesquite. Typically whatever was available in their area or scraps from a local mill. People used an old metal barrel with a removable lid and filled it with hard wood, secured the lid and then built a fire around the barrel. You could end up with a 55 gallon barrel of charcoal and it was stored right in the barrel.

Back to gunpowder. I seem to remember the ratios I described above were measured based on weight not volume. But It's been decades ago. I'm sure one today could use the computer to verify the mix and how it's measured.

Regards

I bristle at the term "casper guns" (I won't even type the gh-word), because it plays into the anti-gun agenda just like "assault weapons" and "gun violence."

However, I went down the PMF (privately made firearms) rabbit hole about 1-1/2 years ago. I've built four, so far. It's a ton of fun! I've got several more builds "on deck" waiting to be built.
P80-Four.jpg

I went so far down the rabbit hole that I created a gun builder's forum! It's taking off fairly well. In case anyone is interested:

Last edited:
Very nice.

I've belonged to a few different builders forums over the years. Most recently, making suppressors.

Very nice.

I've belonged to a few different builders forums over the years. Most recently, making suppressors.

My new forum was not something I ever expected to do. But the biggest / most popular forum for 80% builders (Marine Gun Builder) was shut down somewhat suddenly and without explanation. A few other members started some spin-off forums. But they weren't what I envisioned was possible.

So, I did a LOT of homework and set off on my own. And it's working! It's been up for 8 months, and we're past 1,000 members, 2,000 threads, and 17,000 posts. Not bad for a fledgling forum! I put a TON of effort into it. More than I anticipated! But, I'm pleased to see so many people enjoying it.

The old form 1 forum that I participated in was shut down suddenly and unexpectedly as well.

I'd put money on the government leaning on the provider causing it to be shut down. I've also found out that the gov had access to even private messages that was involved in at least 3 large cases that involved diversified machine and solvent traps.

The old form 1 forum that I participated in was shut down suddenly and unexpectedly as well.

I'd put money on the government leaning on the provider causing it to be shut down. I've also found out that the gov had access to even private messages that was involved in at least 3 large cases that involved diversified machine and solvent traps.

We're not about building N F A stuff. Just gun building... and most other topics involving guns.

The other popular gun building forum wasn't about N F A stuff, either. Just 80% frames. Nobody knows why it shut down, and the owner isn't saying.

Last edited:
But, the gov doesn't like personal made firearms. Doesn't have to be NFA stuff. They've been leaning on social media and businesses as a whole to do their bidding. From everything from "covid misinformation" to basically anything that they don't like.

When the plug was pulled on the original F1 forum, there was so much data that was lost, it would take years to replace it. Sadly, the replacement forum, doesn't have near the traffic as the old one did. It's just a shadow of what it used to be.

Back