• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ghost Ring Sights

catnphx

.270 WIN
I really like the GRS on my 590A1. I've never used them before and was wondering how'd they work on the SG but it was great, very accurate and effective.

My brother has the Ghost Ring Sights on his Mossberg 590A1 and they are a dream to shoot with. Even more so when Mike at AIMPRO releases the front fiber optic for it.

I looked at the AIMPRO site ... is this what you're talking about or is there a fiber optic version coming? The picture looks like my front sight unless it is a night sight (which mine isn't).

The Mossberg® factory front Ghost Ring blade is also available in a Tritium version.

Urban$20Combat$20front$20blade.jpg

How does someone go about having something like that put on their gun? Do you have to send them the barrel or the entire gun (so they can sight it in)?

They would likely install the base if you dont already have one, I'm not sure if its silver soldered or not. If so, the barrel would have to be refinished. If it isnt silver soldered, you may be able to install it your self, then order the fiber optic from AIMPRO.

The sight in the above picture is actually dovetailed into the base. Look close and you can see it.

Just knock the old sight out, clean the dovetail with some acetone and loctite the new sight in.

If you don't have that type of sight base on you barrel, it can be added but will need to be silver soldered on.

gumbydammit said:
The sight in the above picture is actually dovetailed into the base. Look close and you can see it.

Just knock the old sight out, clean the dovetail with some acetone and loctite the new sight in.

If you don't have that type of sight base on you barrel, it can be added but will need to be silver soldered on.

Good lookin out on the dovetail sight, I forgot to mention that! ;)

"Just knock the old sight out, clean the dovetail with some acetone and loctite the new sight ."

And easy on the loctite - I've had experience with that stuff. :D

I too have the ghost ring sights on my 590 Special Purpose. I kinda wish mine was the 590A1 but I'm confident the SP model will do just fine. Shooting slugs is difficult with a simple bead sight and believe me I've tried using a Remington 870 which don't get me wrong is an excellent shotgun but I prefer the Mossberg after experiencing shells getting stuck between the magazine tube and the shell lifter on the 870. Mossberg did an excellent job at designing the ghost ring sights.

catnphx said:
How does someone go about having something like that put on their gun? Do you have to send them the barrel or the entire gun (so they can sight it in)?

Where I work, we want the barrel and receiver, so we can be sure the sights are properly aligned. Tunaround is about two weeks.

akgunnut said:
I kinda wish mine was the 590A1 but I'm confident the SP model will do just fine.

Trust me, no matter what model you have, you wish you had some of the features of another :lol: I'm much better with a bead. Even with slugs out to 50. But does some part of me wish I went for the ghost rings? Yup! One thing is for sure. I'll never get better with ghost rings if I never shoot them. Same with 5 vs 8 magazine, etc. We pick what's best for us, focusing on the features we want most, and then dream about what might have been!

I guess it gives us an excuse to buy another one if we hit the lottery! :cool: But I just need to buy a sighted barrel and ghost ring since the receiver is tapped. And if you buy a metal safety switch, you have the most important 590a1 upgrade to the civilian! Either way, we can each get what we want. But you only have to spend about $12 while I have to spend about $150!

blue said:
akgunnut said:
I kinda wish mine was the 590A1 but I'm confident the SP model will do just fine.

Trust me, no matter what model you have, you wish you had some of the features of another :lol: I'm much better with a bead. Even with slugs out to 50. But does some part of me wish I went for the ghost rings? Yup! One thing is for sure. I'll never get better with ghost rings if I never shoot them. Same with 5 vs 8 magazine, etc. We pick what's best for us, focusing on the features we want most, and then dream about what might have been!

I guess it gives us an excuse to buy another one if we hit the lottery! :cool: But I just need to buy a sighted barrel and ghost ring since the receiver is tapped. And if you buy a metal safety switch, you have the most important 590a1 upgrade to the civilian! Either way, we can each get what we want. But you only have to spend about $12 while I have to spend about $150!

There is much truth here! ;) Though while I dont wish I had the features of the other guns, I just want the other guns!!!

Gotta agree, whatever you have on one platform, you dream of the model thats a little different. Love the stock GRS' on my 590A1 20" and how low they sit, as it's right where my cheek weld is naturally. I first looked at and wanted the 590 SPX, but dont want the factory porting or the higher sight's. I'm even thinking of a 930 H.S. w/Factory GRS' and a 2+ext!! While the 'higher sights' do, from the factory require a slightly diff hold, it can be remedied with a monte carlo stock. But I wanted to keep the 590A1 somewhat 'sleek' w/the ghost rings and the Mossy GRS lie lower with a bigger/faster/slightly less accurate diopter where the LPA's require a higher cheek weld (Monte stock can and will fix if you want, though) and are still fast enough for me with a slightly smaller, more accurate, EASY TO ADJUST in comparison, but theyre too high on the factory stocks, I think I mostly wanted the 590 SPX for the free M9!! lol
Steve

Does anyone have experience adjusting the factory Mossberg GRS' rear sight? How many revolutions will 'max out' the elevation adjustment? Is it just one 360 degree turn and the rear sight sits on one of the little 'notches' and thats it or does it keep going past one revolution? The windage is pretty simple enough, rather coarse adjustment's(thank you to whoever recommended lifting up the aperture BEFORE making adjustments to avoid stripping the adjustment threads!), but fine tuning can be done w/the front blade I guess. Which I'm wanting to replace w/XS big dot tritium front sight, but they dont list that on their website, do you have to special order or just call directly?
Thanks,
Steve

Hey Steve, in my adventures, XS hasnt yet offered the big dot tritium. I have heard somewhere it is going to be made available eventually, but I dont know how to confirm this.

You may have a bit of luck by calling as you mentioned.

As I recall, it was a case they just didnt make the big dot with that dove tail to fit the Mossy.

Heres an option I've been told about, but its a bit of work. XS does make a dot that epoxys over a Remington bead. You can replace the Mossbergs bead with a Remington bead. I dont know exactly what that entails though. Once its replaced you can epoxy the sight. Its an option, but not my preference, nor is it what I'd wanna do.

I dont know how high the front sight needs to be, but you could look into Marble Arms;
http://www.marblearms.com/shotgunBeads.html

Or Meprolight who does make a dove tailed front sight for Mossberg. I actually have a Meprolight Tritium dot. It doesnt look green like the picture, in day light it looks like a white dot. It has been used ALOT on Allisons .410 and was just switched to my 590A1. You'll have to copy and paste these links for some reason.;
http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={42C1796C-E6AE-4B51-B1AA-BC100FEA817D}
This is the dove tailed sight;
http://www.meprolight.com/default.a...itemid={8546B38B-9CD7-4CEB-902E-53E54172C3B6}

Ok, on my 590a1 with GRS I could not get enough elevation to hit the jug at 50 yds or a 100 yds with hold over. I realize the stock is a bit long for me but I was hoping to have a POA/POI about the same. As far as where the slugs were hitting, they were consistent. Help on this please.

If I was to buy a Mossberg 590A1 12ga 18.5 with just the Bead Sight,could the Bead Sight be replaced with GhostRing Sights ? If so,what or how does it get replaced? Would I have to send the gun back to Mossberg? "Thanks" for any replies and help!

You can add the Ghost Ring Sights after the fact by sending it to placing like AIMPRO or Vang Comp Systems. I believe you can send it back to Mossberg as well but I would have to double check that for you. The issue with going that route is you are going to end up spending a lot more to add them later than if you bought them already on your Mossberg 590A1.

Back