• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Go Gauge Delrin Follower - Jams After Last Shell Chambered????

I bought a pair of the NON-light-up Go Gauge Dupont Delrin followers (because I think a flashing light on a shotgun is silly) as they have them priced low, and Delrin is good material.

But I noticed that after cycling some snap caps through our matched "His & Hers" pair of Shockwaves, that one of them jammed, and needed some force and wiggling to allow insertion of the first shell into the magazine tube. So the follower was jammed at the receiver end, and could not be easily pushed in with a finger or a shell.

That's a non-goal, so I checked, and the spring is as far over the spring shaft of the follower as possible, the spring-retaining cap is properly inserted into the magazine tube at the muzzle end, flush with the end of the tube, and there isn't anything else to see here, as there are no other parts.

But the receiver end of the follower DOES have a protrusion so that it makes a flat surface with the receiver end of the magazine tube assembly, to push the end of the shell out so that it clears the surfaces. Could this be jamming due to a slight misalignment, where the follower is getting twisted cockeyed in the magazine tube without a shell to keep it "straight" in the tube?

I'm not sure how to debug this problem. Any hints would be appreciated.

Pics might help. I always thought Delrin was on the softer side of polymers but it is easy to machine... Maybe just file a little bit here or there as needed, look for gouges or similar to see if you can tell where the follower is hanging up?

I'm sorry.

I don't even understand what you're talking about.

"non light up go gauge"?

Unless there is some marketing gimmick unknown to me, a go gauge is a piece of metal that is shaped the size of a cartridge to make sure the chamber is machined correctly and to the proper size and the barrel installed right.

I generally make metal followers for my shotguns because I just like metal parts on/in my guns where possible, but in their defense, I have a bunch that still have the factory plastic followers and I've never heard of one breaking or cracking.

But, I'll ask, did the factory follower work right? If yes, put it back in and see if you can get a refund.

Guess the real question was did the OEM follower work OK and if you reinsert it now does it work OK?

If so, you know the problem.

OEM parts are designed for the gun's most rigorous operations and seldom does aftermarket parts improve their operations.

Regards

Try as I might, I cannot reproduce the "jam" with the Delrin follower.
It is a new firearm (Its a NOT-a-Shotgun!) so time will tell, the stock followers are saved in a ziplock, in a box, in a drawer.

Back