• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Yeah, I've missed seeing him too. I had checked his profile a while back, and I just checked it again, and it's actually been 2 months since his last visit.

Sept 15, 2021 was the last time he logged in.

Well I left a message for Meanstreak in the old motorcycle forum archives. It is really defunct now and has not been in operation for years.

I spent quite a bit of time working on my car yesterday, trying to get the rear body sorted out.

This car never had rear body mounts. The rear body was attached to the side panels and the front of it was attached to the floor pan. But the rear of it was just sitting on the bumper brackets.

And the muffler. Which had burned the cardboard form inside the hollow fiberglass reinforcement tube that girdles the rear facia.

That’s right. The reinforcements in this fiberglass body are made out of 1/2 of a cardboard mailing tube covered with fiberglass.

These are the first bits where I cut it out, and where I cloud it in yellow is where the muffler was cutting a hole through the body.

19FC0C82-2462-4D06-A603-7C3B18F0F4AE.jpeg When you pull it apart you get this.

EC613606-0058-4476-B2D2-2DBB0B142136.jpeg

This is just a portion of the heat affected zones. The area of scorched cardboard was about 10 inches long. That’s how much of the muffler was rubbing on the body. The fiberglass was worn there but it was only worn completely through to the cardboard where the end seam of the muffler rubbed.

Anyhow it should make the car a lot more quiet now that I have removed this and it doesn’t hit on the muffler. (LOL This car is so loud I will be lucky if they ever allowed me to drive it on the street.)

And addition to that I have raised the back a little and I now have a minimum 1 1/2 inches of clearance from the exhaust system to any part of the body.

(LOL This car is so loud I will be lucky if they ever allowed me to drive it on the street.)

First thing is first, I really hope @meanstreak is OK and just has other things to be doing.

Secondly, I read about your car being loud. Do you remember chitty chitty bang bang?

Asking for a friend.

movie_cars_chitty_chitty_bang_bang_ahall_dvdyke_hripley_ahowes_1600_900_2.jpg

Do you remember chitty chitty bang bang?

Asking for a friend.

movie_cars_chitty_chitty_bang_bang_ahall_dvdyke_hripley_ahowes_1600_900_2.jpg

I do remember it but I never saw the entire movie. Just bits and pieces here and there over the years. Ooof! . . . is that Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke?

Anyhow, this Volkswagen will barely be able to move under its own power by modern standards.

Don’t expect too much.

...is that Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke?

Dick Van Dyke but some other actress, I forget her name. He and Andrews were in Mary Poppins together. There were a whole bunch of movies that I saw when I was a kid and made sure my kids viewed them as well. Partial list is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (you should take time to see it :) ), Mary Poppins, Willy Wonka (original), Sound of Music, Ol' Yeller, all the old Disney cartoon classics like Dumbo, 101 Dalmations and Jungle Book, etc. Good, wholesome movies compared to some of the crap they put out now...

It's a sin what has been done to kid's shows. (Adult too.)

I don't recall my folks ever taking us to any adult movie theatres, but we kids did go to the 10 cent kids Saturday matinee on the air base. We did go to the drive-in a few times when we lived near Spokane in 1961-62, but mostly the Arizona desert in 1963-64.

I recall that we saw Mary Poppins there at The Thunderbird drive in. We saw Mr. Limpet, and some spooky movie about an Irish cat with 9 lives.

While I never saw all of Chitty-Chitty, my kids did & to them, in those years, that was us.

My cars didn't fly, but I was always working on crazy old cars, and taking them on mountain roads and motorcycle adventures in the local pit. Painting them up custom pink "Barbie" bikes with their names, later fixing their broken transmissions and bent fenders. To this day it is the same, but now I fix the grandkids cars too.

If you're not going to use a vertical or angled grip on the new handguard, I bet the magpul textured rail cover or the knights (or airsoft copies of) would work well there.

If you're not going to use a vertical or angled grip on the new handguard, I bet the magpul textured rail cover or the knights (or airsoft copies of) would work well there.
I'm thinking of maybe having a quick attach/detachable vertical grip at the very back of the under rail.. maybe a rail cover for the rest

Yeah, that's the only way I'd use a bottom rail on a pump.

FWIW, I still have a 3 railed ergo aluminum forend on my old workhorse. I kept a light and a vertical grip on it for many many years. I would often tuck the butt of the gun up kinda under my arm and use the grip to carry the gun that way through the woods. At first thought, many people would think that would be awkward and uncomfortable but it's not. Try it sometime.

Yeah, that's the only way I'd use a bottom rail on a pump.

FWIW, I still have a 3 railed ergo aluminum forend on my old workhorse. I kept a light and a vertical grip on it for many many years. I would often tuck the butt of the gun up kinda under my arm and use the grip to carry the gun that way through the woods. At first thought, many people would think that would be awkward and uncomfortable but it's not. Try it sometime.
I understand what you're saying and i do think it comfortable :) I used to carry my G3 in the field in a strange but comfortable way.. if i find a pic ill post it

Good morning Mossberg Owners. Still working late nights on the SS 100 kit kar.

The builder of this car left out quite a number of bolts, and at least six steel brackets, which are integral to the structure of the car. I’m getting it squared away nicely now but it was sure a wobbly mess when I got it.

The worst part of this entire car was the electrical wiring. What the hell is this pile of wires in the nose of the car?

76E2394B-BE5E-4DD9-9BFE-CECB3801954A.jpeg
Some of it went to the fuel gauge. The rest is for the lamps and it is a tangled mess.

Here the wiring is exactly as I received it. Yuck!

409D0365-3240-466A-A3FD-4383E8A4DEA5.jpeg
I tore the wiring out of this car a year ago, because it was a mess of crude taps, splices, extensions, and loosely crimped terminals. It’s still not all together but the lights are done, thefuse panel is in, all the major wires aredone, and I have the gages polished up and gettin’ wired.

Of course, unlike a production vehicle where everything is well thought out inadvance, nothing is well thought out on this car, and you have to fiddle with every little bit.

The original wiring harness seemed to wind up a little short at random switches and every damn lamp, and so it got bits spliced onto it.

Wires were spliced with electrical tape and marked with 30 year old bits of sticky masking tape.

Yet here was 3 extra feet of harness just coiled up underneath the gas tank doing nothing!
68E22420-6953-4910-9037-BE4BDBDC3D4D.jpeg
Well it was soaking up the dripping gas, which turned all the electrical tape into goo and made the colors on the wire run off.

Anyhow wiring continues here, And I will be locked up in the garage, but you all have a nice day.

Good morning my friends.

I hope each and every one of you get to enjoy it with your families and those you care about the most.

Good morning Mossberg Owners. Well I’ve been rushing to get this car wired up enough to start it and it’s nearly there, but I need several more hours crawling around with a soldering gun and a 5/16 wrench.

But I’m going to take a break today.

I’m gonna start preparing for Thanksgiving dinner pretty soon because the whole family will show up today.

I hope you all have a chance to see your families and have a lovely holiday.

This is my moms old turkey roaster from the 1970s and I’m afraid it has become a family tradition.
8B5C7090-5259-4CD9-A142-280B7F4978D5.jpeg
I’m cooking turkey in the garage because there’s not enough room to do the ham and the turkey and all the fixings in my kitchen.

I used to just put this on top of the washing machine, but I bought a fancy new one and I don’t want to scratch it up

This thing still cooks but the thermostat is a little flaky so I have to sit on it. I don’t want crispy turkey bits.
85C9658F-16F1-4108-B07F-CFC0892EA140.jpeg

I’m cooking turkey in the garage because there’s not enough room to do the ham and the turkey and all the fixings in my kitchen.

Nothing wrong with a Thanksgiving garage. :) Our neighbors invited us over and they had the garage cleared out with a number of tables extending into the driveway. Sort of a tradition on their part and we've been several times. Low-key, no dress code although POSITIVE politics was discussed... ;)

Well, everybody actually ate in the house. The garage was just the overflow cooking area or kitchen annex. We had lovely weather here and all the grandkids and my daughters went out to the park with rollerskates and stuff. It’s only about 300 yards from my house to the neighborhood park.

I wanted to go skating myself but I had eaten too much and I was exhausted from all of the preparation’s.

Today I have taken the big table apart and put it away, put away the extra tables and chairs and the big ice chest etc. etc. When I went out for some more wearing accessories so I can finish my car today.

Unfortunately Judy’s calling for me to come get all of her Christmas ornaments down out of the attic so I’m heading for the ladder.

Back