• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning Mossberg Owners. It never fails it after I build something I have to take it apart three times and put it back together again. I had to R&R the gas tank, so I could get to the brake master cylinder.

I decided that I didn’t like Volkswagens method of charging the brake lights from the ignition circuit and grounding them at the master cylinder switch.

I will send power to the brake light switches from the master switch, (not ignition switch) and ground my brake lights at the rear frame as God and Thomas Edison intended.

So I added a new wire to the loom, which meant clipping zip ties and fussing around for quite a while. Needless to say I have not finished my fuse panel. I should get back on that today, but my wife is planning a big Halloween party tonight.

You guys look out for ghouls, and fools in high places.

Good morning,

I decided some of my collection needs a bit of work so I started rebuilding the hilt on my 1860 Cavalry Saber replica yesterday. Drilled the peen out pretty easily and went to work reshaping the wood core on the belt sander to get better fit up. Saved the wire but I need to get new leather to wrap it. I found that the blade is tempered surprisingly well but the tang is too narrow, I'm going to mill a new tang for it and weld it on later.

They are lovely but the violet colors don’t really show up on a photograph very well do they. They’re very nebulous as they approach the horizon.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

My wife had a Halloween party last night and I think Poison Ivy had the costume of the night. That’s my wife’s great niece. My wife is of course on the right.

441B63DB-F969-458A-A36D-65C8A488F17E.jpeg

My daughter brought me a piece chinezeium steel furniture with a broken TIG weld here and there.

I’m going to try and put it back together without burning it full of holes but this is extremely thin metal on the order of 0.030” or .75mm. The round tubing is maybe even thinner. There’s no open edge that I can measure.

Yet.

Where do I blow a hole in it? Place your bets folks….

image.jpg

In the back there you can see my wiring diagram for the SS. I’m attempting to formalize it from my other sketches and diagrams.
image.jpg

So here I am stretching the metal back into position before welding.
image.jpg
The strap comes off before I do any welding. I want everything to be relaxed.

Prepping for a tiny weld with a tiny grinder.
image.jpg

stay tuned…..

The strap comes off before I do any welding. I want everything to be relaxed.

Prepping for a tiny weld with a tiny grinder.

It's OK to weld something like that under tension... That is probably where it was to begin with.

Sometimes if you blow through you can take a #6 washer and weld it to the tube then weld the other tube to it.

@CaddmannQ i would have loved being on that party :D

Judy has some very attractive young nieces and cousins. Of course I have grandchildren the same age.

It's OK to weld something like that under tension... That is probably where it was to begin with.

Sometimes if you blow through you can take a #6 washer and weld it to the tube then weld the other tube to it.

Well I blew through . . . About six places, in 32 welds, but all I did was take a blob of filler, & lay it in the hole so it made a nice puddle. Well nice enough to grind down And still have a weld. Part of the problem with this bedframe was that some of the welds that were dressed off for cosmetic reasons should have been left alone because they were structural.

But basically it’s just a cheap light gauge frame.

After I released the straps, the tubes did not come in perfect alignment but they were close enough to get good welds without any trouble.

If only I had been able to make good welds. Well they’re OK, but they don’t all look too hot.

Fortunately the ones that don’t look great are not a real visible spot either, But they are definitely structural, so I did not grind them.

If only I had been able to make good welds. Well they’re OK, but they don’t all look too hot.

Practice makes better--I think you're doing fine! :) A welder is one of those tools that once you get one, you find uses for it. I've fixed fridge icemaker augers, bar stools, mower decks and so on. It often takes far longer to setup and prep than does the actual weld time...

Generally speaking you are right.

If you’re not spending a lot of time on the prep work you’re going to spend too much time holding the torch, and make a crummy weld.

It’s the same as painting really. If the prep work is done well, the painting and goes fast and looks good.

My daughter brought me a piece chinezeium steel furniture with a broken TIG weld here and there.

I’m going to try and put it back together without burning it full of holes but this is extremely thin metal on the order of 0.030” or .75mm. The round tubing is maybe even thinner. There’s no open edge that I can measure.

From Cadd's pix:
index.php

Cadd, Ol' Buddy! I know you are just looking for and excuse to weld something.

You need that table in a hurry? A few nylon zip-ties and a roll of duct tape and 20 minutes on the clock.... PRESTO!

[But it is more fun welding. Go to it and send more pix.] :thumbsup:

I am already putting off the welding I already have the most excuse to do, so I needed this for practice.

It is already painted, so no pix of ugly welding. I had to hurry and finish it today because of the expected rain (that really didn’t happen.)

This bracket holds the steering column to the dash. I had to sporterize it by adding lots of lightness.
No 'before" photo, but just imagine a square chunk of rusty angle with sharp burrs, a ragged notch, and four holes.
lightness.jpeg
It now has been sanded and painted and installed where it will be forever unseen.

The steering on this car still needs lots of work.

I’ve spent some more time working on my wiring but I still have to install switches and gauges. The fuse panel is almost finished. All the lighting wires are in but the tail lights are not yet attached.

I spent yesterday working on a cage to protect the catalytic converter on my daughters car. Catalytic converter thefts went up 10 times in 2021 over what they were previously, in her county.

Right now this is all just assembled with self tapping screws. It has to come off the car and be welded completely, then go back on with rivets.
EC504BE1-D978-4C30-9C7B-7AD2E9CB42F7.jpeg
I decided not to use heavy solid barstock on this, but instead light tubing. I will fill all the ends of the tubes to look solid, add a few bars, and then paint it all in a real obvious glowing color.

If someone looks under this car with a flashlight they will just turn around and walk away.

I tried to make it tight to preserve ground clearance but I made it a little too tight and it needs some extra clearance so it doesn’t clatter on the exhaust under full throttle.

You can buy devices to go under the converter of a Prius or a Tacoma (several hundred dollars) but I could not find one for sale online to fit her van. So I just decided to build this.

And I’m not done, so Time to go do some welding.

Good morning,
having a bit of an idea here. Thinking about drilling some diy keymod in the bottom of my 500 forend so I can stick a removable rail under there for an angled grip. I'm thinking that if the Magpul MOE handguard is plenty sturdy with only polymer MLOK than I shouldn't have much of a problem either.

This thing ended up with 130 welds on it. I ran out of Argon halfway through and I finished it with the acetylene torch. It’s a very crooked affair because it snakes along the crooked exhaust system. Every anchor point is at a different level so it doesn’t really stand up straight on its legs
4102581F-9888-4123-90E8-DDC9BC528512.jpeg
My practice with the TIG has made me seem like some kind of amazing acetylene welder.

. :lol:
I am over three times as fast with a Victor #1 torch.

I was only 60% done (I had reground the tungsten about 10 times already) and thinking “Help me Jesus! I gotta weld all the way around all these tubes.” (I had added two more and a bar!) Then I felt like I was getting tired, there was a buzzing noise in my ears, and I couldn’t make a weld for anything. It turns out that I had run out of argon gas.
:brick:

That was good luck in the end because I am so much more comfortable with acetylene gas. I was also welding a lot faster just because I didn’t have to reposition the work. Turns out I can gas weld in any position. (Not so with the tungsten.)

I decided to give it all a coat of fluorescent orange paint, but it had dried up in the can, so I grabbed the fluorescent green paint. About halfway through the first coat it blew up on me and shot green paint everywhere from the broken stem.
AC037721-519A-4C53-8FD7-E4DD0A89FCBF.jpeg
I brushed the mess all down and gave it a coat of turquoise, which was the only shiny bright paint I had left.
985C8E17-51A5-4ED9-8A78-DDA2213ED7E6.jpeg
Every bit of this metal was used and has been painted & I ended up inhaling some nasty burnt paint. Unfortunately I don’t have a sandblaster and I had to wire wheel to get it clean.

Of course I only took off enough to clear the heat affected zone for a TIG welder. The heat affected zone for gas Welding is about 3 times as big. Pheeeeew!

Anyhow the paint has dried overnight and after it dries a little more I will crawl under the car and put it up there with rivets. I still have some military spec aircraft pop rivets left over from the Vietnam war.

Today is cold and cloudy in central California and we had drizzling rain for most of Monday night and Tuesday morning.

It was not the toad strangler I was hoping for but it was well received here in the drought stricken west.

I still didn’t allow enough clearance on my converter cage. Yesterday I crawled under my daughter’s van and took out a small piece with a drill and grinder. Later I will take it down and patch the carnage, but for now it won’t rub.

I realized today that we have not seen Meanstreak in a month of Sundays. Or at least a month. I hope he is doing OK and I sent him a PM. Hopefully he is just off visiting his kids.

I do not recall if I first met Meanstreak online at motorcycleUSA.com or at The Kawasaki Nomad Owners group. Nonetheless I think we have been reading each other’s posts for possibly 18 years.

I’m gonna go crawl back under my car. I’m still trying to get the frame storted out well enough For now.

Back