• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

There is supposed to be your option of light or dark background.

Myself, I like a white background. I'm almost always on a desktop though.

Dropped my truck off last night because I have an exhaust leak and something in the drivetrain is making noise.

Looks like a bad manifold but the side they said was the issue was the same one I had replaced a year ago.

They also said I have bad ball joints, wheel bearings (left is toast), brakes (F&R), bad rotors, possibly bad axles, axle joints, calipers and...and the list goes on.

Holy cow its like $2500+ in repairs for just what they can see is worn out.

I'm opting for the manifold, ball joints and left wheel bearing, everything else I can do myself easily or live with for a while.

Looked at a new truck but 70-80K for a truck is a no go. Prices of vehicles are crazy. Not sure who's buying them but I see a lot of new ones on the road.

In the last two years I paid off a car and several credit cards and I feel like we went from living pretty good to living paycheck to paycheck again. Even after paying so much off.

This administration is breaking a lot if good people and I do not see it getting better anytime soon. /Rant

In good news archery deer season starts Oct 1'st!!!

Be grateful that you were able to pay all of that off. Otherwise think of how much worse it would be.

I paid all mine off too. But like you, can't tell. I'm broke before I get it.

My catalyctic convertor and exhaust pipe rusted clear into and fell out from under the truck and was dragging the road a while back. I just unhooked the rear hanger on the side of the road and that's where I left it laying. Scrappers had it gone by the next morning. The body of the convertor had rusted out so couldn't reuse it anyway. Not that I'm inclined to replace it in the first place. That would've been pointless. Probably due to all the water in the fuel around here the gov puts in it.

Truck always had loud exhaust anyway. Couldn't even tell anything is different about it.

Your u-joints needing changed, may be the noise in the drivetrain you're hearing.

I don’t hate the white background, but it takes more battery juice from the phone than a black background.

Be grateful that you were able to pay all of that off. Otherwise think of how much worse it would be.

I paid all mine off too. But like you, can't tell. I'm broke before I get it.

My catalyctic convertor and exhaust pipe rusted clear into and fell out from under the truck and was dragging the road a while back. I just unhooked the rear hanger on the side of the road and that's where I left it laying. Scrappers had it gone by the next morning. The body of the convertor had rusted out so couldn't reuse it anyway. Not that I'm inclined to replace it in the first place. That would've been pointless. Probably due to all the water in the fuel around here the gov puts in it.

Truck always had loud exhaust anyway. Couldn't even tell anything is different about it.

Your u-joints needing changed, may be the noise in the drivetrain you're hearing.
We have a lot of alcohol in gasoline out here and alcohol is hygroscopic. That means it sucks water right out of the atmosphere. The less gas is in your tank, the more it gets diluted from moisture that condenses inside the tank, whenever it gets cold.

Instead of collecting in a puddle on the bottom of the gas tank, where you could drain it off like an airplane, it makes it into the gasoline and burns out through the fuel system, making the car run poorly.

However I live in the desert (I’ve only mentioned that what? . . . 3017 times so far?) and it’s so dry here that the gasoline is very dry. I imagine if you live in a climate that rains a lot, the gasohol would suck up a lot of water right from the atmosphere.

Here, the biggest problem is it eats up old carburetors.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

It’s a lovely day on the West Coast and I’m going to go out and ride my bicycle as per usual. I spent yesterday shopping and running around to bicycle shops and banks and credit unions.

I bought some LED USB rechargeable bicycle lights, and I’m going to try and disassemble them and mount them inside the lights of my bicycle. I’m regretting it already because they were ridiculously expensive and I don’t think the batteries provide much time.

On the box they say “up to nine hours run time”. I charged one up and ran it on high, and it only lasted for 90 minutes.

The second one was exactly the same.

I’m thinking I should’ve stuck with regular bulbs and batteries, But I wanted to be able to come home and just plug my bicycle in the wall.

I've been without power at home and without cell service at the shop so have been "quiet" lately. Power and cell service are back. :) No damage other than some patio screens blown out and a few tree limbs and debris in the yard. We also had to poop in a bucket for a day or so because the ground was so saturated with water, the septic wasn't working. Some here in FL were not so fortunate. There are areas in my town where roads are impassible and covered with water sometimes a half-mile or more. Many houses are flooded and even though the storm passed 3-4 days ago, levels are still rising. Ian (my son's name :) ) was just a TS here but was slow moving and dumped a LOT of water on the east coast of FL. This is not to make light of the damage to the Ft. Myers area in SW FL where Ian came ashore as a Cat4. :eek:

I'm glad you're doing OK Bobster. I'm thankful that you didn't have a lot of trouble. I know some places along the coast that was battered pretty hard. Please let me know if there is anything I can try to help you with.

I haven't heard from old mossy, but I was able to be nosey and noticed that he had visited the forum a little earlier this evening, so that's good that he's got service.

I'm glad you're doing OK Bobster. I'm thankful that you didn't have a lot of trouble. I know some places along the coast that was battered pretty hard. Please let me know if there is anything I can try to help you with.

I haven't heard from old mossy, but I was able to be nosey and noticed that he had visited the forum a little earlier this evening, so that's good that he's got service.
I believe Old Mossy is in Tarpon Springs area, north of Clearwater/Tampa. Ian was initially forecast to come ashore just south of Tampa (Sarasota) but the landfall prediction was modified last minute to put him even further south at Ft. Myers. So Tampa Bay escaped major water and wind damage. In fact, they had a "reverse-storm-surge" event where the water was sucked out of the bay several feet.

Ian ended up going across the peninsula and coming up the east coast which spared the upper Gulf coast but caused major flooding along the Atlantic coast and inland. Aside from storm debris waiting to be picked up, you couldn't tell that a hurricane happened on my street. Aside from some porch screens blown out and a few tree limbs and debris in the yard, we suffered no damage. But a mile away streets are completely under water, water is lapping against the sides of houses and water is still rising. :eek: And power crews generally won't work in standing water.

We lost power at the house the night of the storm. Went a couple days without before I bought a $100 Dayton 5500w/10hp B&S generator running, but smoking, from a guy nearby and $25 to my cousin to help pick it up and deliver it (he needed the money). I tinkered with it, cleaned carb, adj. governor, changed oil and got it running better and plenty enough to power the fridge. It still smokes/fumes (I think it needs a needle and seat) but I'm not super close to my neighbors so we just kept it away from the house. Ran the gen for a couple hours at a time for couple days/dozen hours then we got power back. So far no takers on the gen for $125 even with a video of it running fairly smokeless.

PS: my shop, about 15min from home, never lost power but DID lose cell phone service (ATT) for a few days. I still had cell service at the house, but no power or cable. There was a traffic light at a semi-major intersection that was inop for a few days and not really able to be avoided or bypassed so it was a PITA.

Pics are of areas not far from me. The lake in the "stone" pics is Lake Monroe, part of the St. John's River that flows north to Jax. It is still rising... :( Those are 1/2-million+ $ homes. Entire streets are flooded out for a half mile or more. Adding to the list of animals that will kill you in FL is a pic of a ball of fire ants in a floating, rotating mass that will "swim" to higher ground (or you :eek: ) when their tunnels flood.

stonei1.jpg stonei2.jpg stonei3.jpg stonei4.jpg courtland.png antball.jpg

Last edited:
Just checking in. All ok down here. Ian was headed for a direct hit to Tampa, but made an eastern turn 60 miles from us and hit Ft.Myers beach community and wiped it out completely .
I'm in Palm Harbor just north of Clearwater. We got some winds and rain but that was it. Thank God.

This is very strange. The system says I made a post here this morning. I don’t remember doing & I don’t see one.

I have been working to save my garage door. I don’t want to spend $5000 to have it replaced but it is 20 years old and it has taken a beating.

Belated good morning to all of yous. We are in the midst of a beautiful weather pattern. High 40s at night low to mid 80s for highs . I think we might be edging closer to San Diego, lol.

We have a gun show close by this weekend I am thinking about attending. Never know what ya might find.

Ya'll take care and have a great day.

Good Morning MO's!!

Found out that the guy who owns the property where I hunt died over the weekend. His son is managing the hunting on the property but I really do not know him very well. Not sure what the future holds for that hunting spot now.

Hoping to head up to my cabin this weekend for some small game and maybe some deer hunting. I can always hunt here but there just arent that many deer compared to down state.

Found out that the guy who owns the property where I hunt died over the weekend. His son is managing the hunting on the property but I really do not know him very well. Not sure what the future holds for that hunting spot now.

Good Morning, Mosssies!

Mike.
What if you write the son a note of condolence and mention how you appreciated his dad's friendship? Ask him straight up, politely of course, if he would like to extend the hunting arrangement. Send that as a personal note or contact.
Send a bouquet of flowers with your name attached to the service.
I'll bet he lets you continue. Can't hurt to try.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

I’ve been working on this old British bicycle on and off.
B9453FFE-3B23-46B5-9FDD-98AF6FF3A28F.jpeg
I haven’t knocked out the cups yet, but I decided that there’s maybe a rusty splice right at the top front at the neck. There appears to be a little bit of swelling from rust, between the tube and the lug.

All the stuff has to wait right now, because I had a major malfunction on my garage door, and I am in the process of rehabbing it

I have a powerful door opener, and when the door got caught on the track it just about folded the top panel in two.

I did some major re-construction to the top panel, including making a three dimensional truss of light conduit and some perforated iron.

That was easy to figure out, but the hard part is that the existing top beam of the door was only attached to the top panel at the frame members. I ended up adding about 50 pop rivets to unitize the beam to the door panel.

I put a lite gauge sleeve in the top of the door panel and I put concealed rivets in it.

I added a lite gauge steel rail to the top of the top panel, anchoring it down with 20 sheet metal screws. Some of those go through the door into the sleeve that I added. I added about 50 threaded fasteners.

This fixed the structural problems, but you can still tell from the outside that the door was damaged.

I have some cleaning painting and bodywork to do.

But I need a break from all of that, and I’m going to go to the bicycle shop first, to see if I can pick up some more parts.

Boy, they sure don’t make lumber like this anymore…cut this off the bottom of an old door I’ve been using in my kitchen the past 10 years, was probably 80 yo when I got it..the door got repurposed into a non opening transom window for my new room..

Attachments

• 8D0BAFA3-2E7D-4412-B8F7-FEB7FE5FE184.jpeg
    8D0BAFA3-2E7D-4412-B8F7-FEB7FE5FE184.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 6
  • C9C030F0-4460-4ACB-A755-99C0E1E2B007.jpeg
    C9C030F0-4460-4ACB-A755-99C0E1E2B007.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 6
Back