• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Watch Bad Cat or Shiey on youtube. They explore old soviet bunkers. Illegally. Lots of stuff just rotting away since the 1980’s.

They get into Italian shelters and abandoned stuff thru eastern europe.

Good evening to yous. We have had three days of very nice weather. That is about to change. Rain and much cooler temps the next 3 days.

Ya'll have a great evening.

C36B8150-9D22-47E1-A481-999F0A15798E.jpegGood morning Mossberg Owners.
The jellyfish is killing it!

Since I have retired there is absolutely no reason for me to support Microsoft windows.

Windows 11 will not be coming home.

Since I have retired there is absolutely no reason for me to support Microsoft windows.
I had a hard drive crash last year. Had Win 10 on it. The external drive that I saved backups to also had a bootable copy of Ubuntu Studio on it, but a little older. So I took that out and used it as a boot/working drive for a couple/few months and determined that I STILL think Linux sucks. ;) It was an older version (12.?) and I didn't want to corrupt anything/lose data on other partitions by installing a newer version. I'm used to using Photoshop but GIMP or the other editing sw included just wasn't cutting it. And double-clicking on SOME folders to open was farking killing me! PLUS, I couldn't get my sound card (SoundBlaster) to work and video drivers were ganky. IF you have the time to "play" around, I suppose Linux is OK. I've played with it since the ol' Red Hat days but never grew at all fond of it. Maybe if someone had showed me "in person" the tricks and tips to managing it I could have been convinced.

Don't get me wrong, IF I ever saw Uncle Bill out and about, I would kick him so hard his testes would replace his eyeballs! :D I firmly believe that Gates and other hackers/sw engineers that have caused so much collective angst over the years, should be put to death by a thousand cuts! :mad:

I have run or attempted to run five different flavors or distributions of Linux.

Since I had supported DOS and Windows and OS2, it usually wasn’t that big deal.

But back then I had some cutting edge hardware that it just could not support.

I’m running much newer gear now but it’s too old for “new” windows. If they say that the new hardware you’re buying is designed with your safety and security in mind, be assured that it’s designed so they can snoop on you, and prevent you from stealing music videos over the Internet.

I feel much safer running obscure software on non-conforming hardware. I’ve never wanted to be a conformist anyway.

The thing that bugs me most is that there is no more AutoCAD for unix (which could be run under linux.) They bought into the windows paradigm, lock, stock and barrel.

The best thing is that people have been fixing linux up for 20 more years since then and everything is working great for me.

Of course this would not be true if I went out and bought the latest and greatest Microsoft machine.

Unemployment Number Explained

Aha! Now I understand.

COSTELLO: I want to talk about the unemployment rate in America.
ABBOTT: Good Subject. Terrible Times. It's 5.6%.
COSTELLO: That many people are out of work.
ABBOTT: No, that's 23%.
COSTELLO: You just said 5.6%.
ABBOTT: 5.6% Unemployed.
COSTELLO: Right 5.6% out of work.
ABBOTT: No, that's 23%.
COSTELLO: Okay, so it's 23% unemployed.
ABBOTT: No, that's 5.6%.
COSTELLO: WAIT A MINUTE. Is it 5.6% or 23%?
ABBOTT: 5.6% are unemployed. 23% are out of work.
COSTELLO: If you are out of work you are unemployed.
ABBOTT: No, Biden said you can't count the "Out of Work" as the unemployed. You have to look for work to be unemployed.
COSTELLO: BUT THEY ARE OUT OF WORK!!
ABBOTT: No, you miss his point.
COSTELLO: What point?
ABBOTT: Someone who doesn't look for work can't be counted with those who look for work. It wouldn't be fair.
COSTELLO: To whom?
ABBOTT: The unemployed.
COSTELLO: But ALL of them are out of work.
ABBOTT: No, the unemployed are actively looking for work. Those who are out of work gave up looking and if you give up, you are no longer in the ranks of the unemployed.
COSTELLO: So if you're off the unemployment roles that would count as less unemployment?
ABBOTT: Unemployment would go down. Absolutely!
COSTELLO: The unemployment just goes down because you don't look for work?
ABBOTT: Absolutely it goes down. That's how it gets to 5.6%. Otherwise it would be 23%.
COSTELLO: Wait, I got a question for you. That means there are two ways to bring down the unemployment number?
ABBOTT: Two ways is correct.
COSTELLO: Unemployment can go down if someone gets a job?
ABBOTT: Correct.
COSTELLO: And unemployment can also go down if you stop looking for a job?
ABBOTT: Bingo.
COSTELLO: So there are two ways to bring unemployment down, and the easier of the two is to have people stop looking for work.
ABBOTT: Now you're thinking like a Democrat.
COSTELLO: I don't even know what I just said!
ABBOTT: Now you're thinking like Biden.

I have run or attempted to run five different flavors or distributions of Linux.

Since I had supported DOS and Windows and OS2, it usually wasn’t that big deal.

But back then I had some cutting edge hardware that it just could not support.

I’m running much newer gear now but it’s too old for “new” windows. I
Yup, I've been with DOS and Windows since the early years. For reasons unknown, Microsuck felt the need to constantly update their sysop sw, sometimes with real duds like Me, Vista or 8.1... :rolleyes:

I have an older laptop I was considering installing Puppy on. You can't run Win7 on less than 2GB ram, let alone Win10 that likes 4GB. But do I NEED a Linux laptop or desktop? Not really... The biggest problem is if the computer is not 1000Gb network or Wireless N.

Well the other computer that I was going to convert turned out to have a bunch of blown capacitors on the motherboard. And it’s not worth fixing. As it turns out I might have another motherboard for it out in my shed. I have to go dig for it, and I’m not up to that right now.

The new Ubuntu machine is working great except that it does not have a Blu-ray player built-in. I do have a standalone Blu-ray player on the system.

It does have a DVD player but I haven’t figured out what software I need to play DVD movies yet. It’s a PITA, but see there’s no schedule for this job. I can take as long as I want or just forget it entirely.

. . . But do I NEED a Linux laptop or desktop? Not really... The biggest problem is if the computer is not 1000Gb network or Wireless N.
Two is one and one is nearly none.
Particularly in these complex installations.

In my case (with the smartphone) it is three, which is to me the practical minimum, because research is usually required at some point in the install.

The system will ask a question you didn’t expect or (so often with mswinblowz) is ambiguous.

In the old days I’d have reams of paper docs, of which most guys needed maybe 3 paragraphs and a chart.

Then came Docs on DIsk. Not just a readme or two, but Two Reams of docs you can’t easily flip thru.

Now you are just expected to download whatever you need.

Ubuntu was bad enough for me, but I just did a major win upgrade on my wife’s desktop. Not that painful, but I slept thru the major download. Probably 100GB. It never tells you.

Oooof…am I up ranting about MS at 4am?

Good morning Mossberg Owners!

Good afternoon Mossberg Owners.

I was watching Joe Rogan‘s latest over on YouTube, and they were talking about re-introducing wolves into the wilds of Colorado.

The people in the city voted for unregulated wilderness releases of wolves, and the people in the country voted against it.

Sentiment seems to be that the people who live in the city (and are against guns) voted to have wolves running free in the wilderness, and people who live in the country (who are in danger of losing their guns) are eventually going to have wolves approaching their backyards.

Hunting will not be allowed under the new laws. You won’t be able to hunt wolves, and there won’t be many other game animals to hunt. Once they smell the wolves, I think they will move along.

I expect in 10 years the state’s gonna be paying a lot of money to licensed hunters, to exterminate wolves that have killed off peoples dogs, goats and children.

In the meantime, I expect shotguns to get very popular there.

It's not quite morning, yet.

I read the life of pi, finished it two weeks ago. Then a book of fishing stories by Heminway. Now I am reading catch-22 which is like the unemployment/out of work scenario above.

We were mid 60s today, and again tomorrow. Lows in the high teens or low 20s over the weekend, WTF. Lol.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

For some reason this morning I was thinking about the stock market. I always look at indexes but I don’t think about it too much. I just groan a little bit.

Conventional wisdom in America long held that when women’s skirt’s got long, the stock market would fall, and when they got shorter, it would rise. Some scallywag called this “the hemline index”.

But what happens to the stock market when women wear pants and men wear short and long skirts?

As far as I can see, it bounces up and down like a hungry Terrier and poops itself.

That’s the most interesting thing I could think to post this morning, as I was up late last night trying to debug a computer.

The lawn guys are already out there with the blowers and edgers and I need an aspirin.

The weather here has turned very nice, and if I feel spunky later I’m gonna go ride my bicycle around. It’s supposed to start raining again over the weekend so time to get while the getting is good.

It's not quite morning, yet.

I read the life of pi, finished it two weeks ago. Then a book of fishing stories by Heminway. Now I am reading catch-22 which is like the unemployment/out of work scenario above.

We were mid 60s today, and again tomorrow. Lows in the high teens or low 20s over the weekend, WTF. Lol.

The last time that I went for jury duty they had that movie on a big screen in the waiting room. It’s a rather confusing movie if you come in in the middle of it, and all the people that hadn’t seen it before couldn’t make any sense of what was going on.

I’m not sure, that having seen the whole thing from beginning to end, that I actually did.

Back