• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got Wood?

My Dad used to build Muzzleloaders. He built about 25 of them. All the metal pieces he bought prefabbed, but the stock was a rough cut blank. After about 10 or so he bought a machine to cut the barrel channel. Before that, other than a band saw, table saw and a drill press, it was all done by hand.
I have a .50 cal Percussion half-stock and a .54 cal. Flintlock full stock that he built for me. I will get some pics of them when I get home.
Dad still repairs broken ones for people, but the fire has gone out on most things like that for him.
Dad built alot out of Tiger Maple because the curl was so nice to look at. He has had a couple of his guns in the museum at the NMLRA spring and fall shoots at Friendship, IN. He built mostly hunting rifles with little to no bling, but he blinged out a couple.

Nice! I only have a drill press, bandsaw, and belt/disc sander. But the majority of my work is done with hand tools. Files, copeing saw, and chisels.

I'm hopeing my fire won't burn out for a long long time....if even at all.
I love making stuff out of wood!

ripjack13 said:
HinkNl.jpg

oWofrl.jpg

^^^My Manzanita Root Wood

This is the wood I was telling you about Ripsnortr......
I'm not sure what the new batch will look like though. That's the root, the new stuff is not root but a burl. I asked the guy if he can get me some good sized roots....we'll see ...

I cut up that piece into 1911 grips. I am soaking them in wood hardener to stabilize it. If there's still air bubbles floating out on Sunday I'll leave in there a few more days.

I also tried my checkering tools out on some Ebony. It's very time consuming. I did a spot around 2sq inches and it took me forever. My lines aren't straight either. I need to practice quite a bit more.....
w1kuQl.jpg

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

A friend of mine has a revolver that he wants me to make new grips for. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I can't wait to see it! I'll update more soon!

Ttutt said:
who was it that wanted a camo laminate?
I think I have a natural version...

I sanded that one to try to make a ruler inlaid with brass. it was above my skill level. I have an unfinished piece from the same stock that hovers around 1/4" thick. I wonder if it would work for 1911 scales?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Is that the Lignum? man that's beautiful wood.....That would be perfect for grips. 1/4" is just right. as long as you don't have to sand to much off them more....but then if you did you could call them low profile..... ;)

what do you make with all the wood you have? Furniture? or ? The box of wood you sent has some decent size stock in there.
just wondering...

not much lately. I'm just a hobbyist/tinkerer. I've turned some bowls tool handles and a gavel for my mother in law on the lathe. I tried to turn a badly spliced walking stick / cane that flew apart. I think my best turning was a drinking cup out of the real lignum. I've made some decorative boxes that I've given away. I made a rather heavy duty tortilla press. it seems mostly I make canes sticks and for some odd reason whittled spoons.

the wood in the pics is the Argentine lignum. there's two woods with that name but only one gets really green like that. I got most of the wood I have now from a guy that I know that just gave it to me because it was just gathering dust in a shed but that's mostly walnut and maple.

RipJack!!! That checkering, is AWESOME! Even if it isnt perfect, I know youll get it, and youll get to where you will like it!

I know this. I know this cuz I've seen other stuff you have done and I know you dont wanna settle for "good enough". You work and practice till its just right and you take it on like a personal challenge. I admire that!

An old welder, after working with me for some time and getting to know me, told me if I was happy with the work, then he was happy with it. He knows how I want things and knows I dont settle for good enough either. I imagine you do likewise so I know when you are happy with it, it will look sweet!!!

On a similar note, I like that checkering, it isnt as many lines per sq. inch as some, but I like the heavier stuff!

What do you think of those 1911 blanks? Not as much detail on the underside as the Beretta I bet! A little to make room for the ambi safety, but not a bunch! ;)

Youre doin some great work my friend! :D

That's exactly what I was trying to copy......

Thanx Ross. I'll get it sooner or later.

I just got my shipment of Manzanita wood! OMG! IT'S CRAZY BEAUTIFUL!!!

Ttutt said:
I think my best turning was a drinking cup out of the real lignum. I've made some decorative boxes that I've given away. I made a rather heavy duty tortilla press. it seems mostly I make canes sticks and for some odd reason whittled spoons.

Nice...I'm sure if you have pics, we'd love to see em.

I have pics of the new batch of Manzanita wood! I cut it open today. OMG it's awesome....

vP7BEl.jpg

UhniKl.jpg

xLLZXl.jpg

ANWihl.jpg

^^^ these 4 are from the guy's website of the pieces I bought from him...
Hu9XYl.jpg

this is a 1/4" slice of the ball burl (M125) I made to see what it looks like inside.

gYjRbl.jpg

^^ comparison of the old manzanita root (small one) and the new manzanita burl (large one)

htcl7l.jpg

close up of the root after being dipped in stabilizer.

Doesn't it look wowtastic!!??

I sanded it a little while ago and put some wood hardener on it. Once it's dry and sanded again I'll post it up. The wife wanted it after I showed her....darn woman's slowly creeping into my wood collection.. :lol:

Rossignol said:
RipJack!!! That checkering, is AWESOME! Even if it isnt perfect, I know youll get it, and youll get to where you will like it!

I know this. I know this cuz I've seen other stuff you have done and I know you dont wanna settle for "good enough". You work and practice till its just right and you take it on like a personal challenge. I admire that!

An old welder, after working with me for some time and getting to know me, told me if I was happy with the work, then he was happy with it. He knows how I want things and knows I dont settle for good enough either. I imagine you do likewise so I know when you are happy with it, it will look sweet!!!

On a similar note, I like that checkering, it isnt as many lines per sq. inch as some, but I like the heavier stuff!

What do you think of those 1911 blanks? Not as much detail on the underside as the Beretta I bet! A little to make room for the ambi safety, but not a bunch! ;)

Youre doin some great work my friend! :D

I am trying to get around to cleaning them up. I like the fact that it does have the ambi safety cut out. And the set Sniper sent me does not. so I have 2 different sets. I'd like to get a few different ones just to see the dimensional differences and how and where they make their cutouts and stuff. Thanx again Brad.

I don't see any bubbles coming out of the set I have in my stabilizer, so Sunday I'll be taking them out to dry off. Then I'll be doing the Rip's Grips thang to em....

That wood is lookin awesome!

I love this color and grain!!!
vP7BEl.jpg

On a side note, I agree that the checkering looks like the frag pattern! I was tryin to recall what that reminded me of! I like it alot!

And youre welcome! ;)

Ross, the color you are seeing is just water sprayed on it to bring out the grain pattern. I need to post up pix of the stuff I cut up.

:roll: My wife says since I'm not working today, I should do something constructive outside. :oops:

ripjack13 said:

These two pics are really making me crave some Prime Rib!!!! :lol: :lol:

Back on topic. I'm loving this thread. These woods are awesome.

Back