• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got Wood?

Ok, so I've been gone for like what 3 or 4 days? I've missed so much!!!

The grips on the Vertec are sooo AWESOME! RipJack, amazing work man, the ebony looks sweet! Dude, youre a talented man, well done!!!

Thanx man! I'm working on a eucalyptus burl base for a plaster casting of the mrs. & my hands. I was told I need to work on her projects before I start more grips. But....I already have rough cut a couple....
;) sssshhhhhhh.

2 things;
nitesite. Be-a-u-ti-ful S&W!
rip, have you made any revolver grips yet? My Uncles Model 67-1 is screaming for some nice wood grips.

I have not made them yet....yet. But I think it might be possible to, as long as they are the 2 piece style.

Got a pic of it so I can see what I'm up against?

The only pic I have is this one with the Hogues installed.
SWModel67-138Special.jpg

I have the original small wood grips, but was wanting a set somewhere in between the small grips and the large target grips that S&W was putting on the .357's. The color I would want would be the black and grey laminate to match the stainless steel. I would send the original small grips to you for the pattern. It is a K-frame BTW.

I'll check out the dimentions later tonight. Do you have it with you? I would need to know the thickness of it. Just the one side. Assuming it's a 2 piece set. The other dimention would be the widest part. From the nub under the trigger to the nub under the hammer.

Hopefully the black n silver laminate I have will be the right width & thickness. If not I wont be able to. I have 2 pieces that are 1-1/2" wide & 3/8" thick. The other piece is only 1/4" thick.

Rossignol!!! I think I found some wood that'll look like it's breathing fire!! I'll update ya once I figure out if it'll work and how to cut it....

And no I didn't set it on fire....;)

ripjack13 said:
Rossignol!!! I think I found some wood that'll look like it's breathing fire!! I'll update ya once I figure out if it'll work and how to cut it....

And no I didn't set it on fire....;)

:lol: I'm interested!!! ;)

ripjack13 said:
I'll check out the dimentions later tonight. Do you have it with you? I would need to know the thickness of it. Just the one side. Assuming it's a 2 piece set. The other dimention would be the widest part. From the nub under the trigger to the nub under the hammer.

I don't have it with me as I am currently in Saudi Arabia working. I will get back with you on this project when I get home in early June. Thanks!

ripjack13~

Take my advice. Don't EVER try to get into doing revolver grips. You'll put over 20-hours into some wood meant to go on one freakin' gun that you can't sell for more then $75.

Sorry, all the rest of you guys that want him to make you some grips. But one-off revolver grips in wood are a huge investment in time and effort that never pays off for the craftsman.......

Please, don't ask him to make you some revolver grips like it is as easy for him as using a chainsaw.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
OK folks,

The ebony Beretta 92 Vertec grips made by our very own ripjack13 arrived yesterday. I had a chance to snap some pics a little while ago. I could waste time talking about how amazing these grips are but like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

All I can add to the photos is that they are amazing and my camera really doesn't do justice to the beautiful grain. These presentation grade grips transformed my Vertec into a work of art. rip, I really can't thank you enough for all the time and effort you put into making these for me. I haven't had a chance to take pics of the Hawaiian Koa wood 1911 grips you made me yet, but I'll post them up once I get them mounted...

You are one SERIOUSLY talented man!!!

Those look pro! Great job Rip!

who was it that wanted a camo laminate?
I think I have a natural version...

a6cd0a43-a11a-4c8f.jpg

a6cd0a43-a152-920c.jpg

a6cd0a43-a16a-07de.jpg

all the same piece. about 1.5" x 24"
I sanded that one to try to make a ruler inlaid with brass. it was above my skill level. I have an unfinished piece from the same stock that hovers around 1/4" thick. I wonder if it would work for 1911 scales?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Oh that's sweet! I just made some handles for my stubby razel knife outa the lignum you sent me! It looks great!
ThanxTtut....

Thanx toyracer!

nitesite said:
ripjack13~

Take my advice. Don't EVER try to get into doing revolver grips. You'll put over 20-hours into some wood meant to go on one freakin' gun that you can't sell for more then $75.

Sorry, all the rest of you guys that want him to make you some grips. But one-off revolver grips in wood are a huge investment in time and effort that never pays off for the craftsman.......

Please, don't ask him to make you some revolver grips like it is as easy for him as using a chainsaw.

Thanx for caring. :D
I'm always up for a challenge though. What good would I be if I always said "No, that's too hard for me." I'll give it shot if I think it'll be workable with the tools I have. If not, well, I know when to say when. :oops:

**edit. I was going to give ya some reps, but...
You must spread your reputation point to other users before giving to the same user.
:roll: :roll:
we need to change that....

nitesite said:
ripjack13~

Didn't mean to cause a stir. I would understand if Rip told me that it was too much of a time investment for short money. I will respect a man alot more if he told me he could not do something rather than offer me something and then not follow through. I don't know much about woodworking, but I do know this. I know that it is an art and way more difficult that running a chainsaw.
I know a man who makes his own turkey calls. I know he spends alot of time on R&D before he perfects his design, the same as the Vertec grips that Rip made for LES.
I just thought it would be nice to have some 'Rip's Grips' like alot of you do, and because all of my pistols are polymer framed, my revolvers are the only option I have for them.

Not a problem tc....it's all good. Sniper's the only one with Rip's Grips so far.....
I haven't checked the specs like I said I was going to the other night, but since I have some time before the ball gets rolling on these...
Cheers.

I didn't mean to sound all pissy. I just know that flat-sided pistol stocks panels are much easier than the curves and dozens of varying thicknesses involved in doing revolver grips. See, to me it would seem sensible to have a couple jugs set up for the flat panels, a couple of router stations, and that would really get the product fairly close.

But revolver grips???? That's more than ten times more difficult to pull off and make things fit and fill all the gaps properly, not to mention the long curvatures and radiuses.

I apologize for stepping in were I should not have. Sorry, everyone.

Can I give myself a -1 Rep point?

No no no....it's ok...I like to hear from everyone. Since this is all new to me. I'm sure once I find a style I like I'll stick with it. But for the members here I'll see what works and what doesn't.

rip's being nice and not telling everyone what a huge PITA my Vertec grips were to make.

What you can't see on my grips is that the backside has a ton of the aforementioned varied thicknesses, recessed and extended surfaces, and cut-outs for the external action mechanism. Most of these lines and surfaces have to be made to exact specs for the grips to fit. In my experience with revolver grips, I can only imagine that they would be difficult to make as well.

All that said, I have no doubt that rip would turn out some amazing looking wheelgun grips! The man's got SCARY talent...

Back