• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

GUN SAFES

S

SHOOTER13

This thread has been started for everyone to post the type of security you use to protect your valuable firearm collection...whether it's one gun or one hundred, your means of keeping them safe from theft and fire...

My 2 American Security Gun Safes are what keeps my vast collection of firearms safe and secure.

AMSEC6030.jpg

SPECS

Model................Dimensions..........Weight
BF6030.........59.25" x 30" x 26"......976

•2" total wall thickness on all sides featuring our poured DryLight insulation and two layers of steel for exceptional fire and security protection.

•U.L. Residential Security Container (RSC) Burglary Classification.

•11 massive 1½" chrome-plated bolts. Bolt detent system holds bolts in open position.

•Mercury Class III fire protection of 1275°F for 90 minutes.

•Commercial grade, adjustable ball bearing hinges.

•2 Stage Dual fire seals with silicone seal on door jamb and expandable Palusol™ seal on door.

•U.L. Listed Group II Lock with massive hard plate and two relocking devices.

•Spy-proof, key-locking dial with decorative five-spoke handle and a convenient pull handle in brass, chrome or black nickel.

•Unique mirrored back wall for added interior visibility.

•Bold zinc die-cast polished logos in brass, chrome or black nickel.

•Premium Door Organizer (PDO) maximizes storage space and offers quick access to commonly used items.

•4 pre-cut anchor holes and 1 pre-cut electrical access hole.

•E-Z Slant-Out Interior for easy access to your long guns. Interior features rich pin-dot fabric and adjustable interior shelving.

LINK

http://amsecusa.com/

Here's a portable safe that I use in my SUV...securing it to the frame of my Jeeps cargo space in the back, should I need to lock up my firearm while out...

Sentry® Digital Portable Safe

SENTRYSAFE.jpg

SPECS

Quick access using keyless, electronic 4-digit programmable entry pad
Keyed back-up entry
Carry handle
Lockable cable anchor
Padded bottom
Powder-coated steel construction
Uses 4 AA batteries
10 x 8 x 3 1/2"h., 3 1/2 lbs.

Cost: $30 Sportman's Guide: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=762780

===================================================================

Those are nice, we are looking into getting some. Currently we have an old wooden gun case with a glass front. Not safe for fire and I don't really consider it safe from my kids, since it's breakable. We leave all of our ammo and clips in different places though.

Re: SAFES

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
Those are nice, we are looking into getting some. Currently we have an old wooden gun case with a glass front. Not safe for fire and I don't really consider it safe from my kids, since it's breakable. We leave all of our ammo and clips in different places though.

Yea, I had the same setup when I first started my firearm collection. Once I had more guns than space in the cabinet, I decided to buy something more secure...so I bought the first safe. About ten years later, I needed the second.

And while I do have insurance through a private company and through the NRA...and have documentation and pictures in a safe deposit box to prove ownership...I'd rather have the firearms than the money.

Well you can't really call it a gun safe, but it's a gun security cabinet. It's thinner steel but still has 3 locking points. It only cost me $115 from Big 5 and is going to do a good job while I save up for something better! It holds 8 long guns, has a shelf for ammo and etc. and fits my handgun in case just fine. Here you go, the Stack On Gun Security Cabinet.
1166d7fe.jpg

2989f290.jpg

^ I was looking into getting one of these. My local Bass Pro Shop has a deal for 150.00 for this + a handgun safe. It'd be nice to have an actual safe, but these locking cabinets should provide more than enough security as long as you anchored it to the wall or floor.

Stack-On makes a good product...a very viable means to secure your firearm.

For my handgun safe I chose GunVault. I have one in the vehicle cabled to the passenger seat frame and one on the floor by the bed. If you are interested in these, I would suggest buying the largest version cause the small one (not the micro) is pretty small - will hold a 1911 for instance but not much else, and it's a little hard to get your hand into. The one in the vehicle is the larger and is much easier to reach into from an angle from the driver's seat.
I don't have a safe, chose to build a concealed false wall instead, so only thing I think about these is to get one that weighs more than 300 lbs + without any wheels, so it can't be moved without great effort.

Hey all, I just ordered a Cannon gun safe from Costco.com, they call it the CS20 (60hx28wx21d @ 420 lbs.) on sale for $569.99 + tax. It is 19.44 cu. ft. and 30 minutes fire rated @ 1200 degrees which should be fine for a 1 level concrete slab home. I was looking on line and noticed that they have a lifetime warranty for fire, water or burglary so that sealed the deal for me. I looked at reviews for this model and most were 5 stars. Most others I looked at were at least $800+ and you had to pick them at the place you bought them at not delivered the end of my driveway. I have a flat and short drive so I hope for 20 bucks they will push it in the garage. I can't wait for it to be delivered.

Congrats cb !!

Post some pics when ya get her in place... :!:

I just got the call from the delivery people my safe will be here in the morning!!!!!!! It will be a while before I can get pictures of it in place as I have to modify the closet before it gets put in place. If their dimension's are correct it will not be that bad. Will let you all know about the delivery after it arrives.

From the sounds of it I have the same one as cbshooter. I installed it after the recent break-in we had. I reenforced the floor joists and bolted into the entire mess with long lag bolts through the floor. It is a bit of a mess because I threw everything in there for now, I plan to get something different to put the ammo and other stuff in, but I have spent WAY more than what insurance was willing to cover. (they covered about 40% due to depreciation and my jerk of an ex-agents mistakes)

I looked at the stackon cabinets but they wern't any beter than what they pried open during the break-in. Once is enought for me.

2011-08-16174130.jpg

I recently read a blog by Mike Vanderboegh that was re-posted in another forum where I'm a member. I found it to be excellent food for thought.

I have a question: How long will your safe protect valuables when a home-invasion gang is holding a pistol to your two-year-old daughter's head? There's a lot of guys who have some gold or silver tucked away on the top shelf of their gun safes. That's fine. But what I am questioning here is the belief that a safe -- and a safe alone, absent firearms and the will to use them -- can protect your valuables from predators. Even if it is a break-in while you are not there, they will discover the safe, conclude it has valuables, and come back later with a better plan and a bigger crew when you are home to open it for them and available for a little friendly persuasion.

There is a man up in Winston County I know who once had a meth addict try to rob his house about ten years ago. The meth addict did not survive the experience. He regretted having to kill the man, but observed that the predator's death had netted some benefits. "Bought me a heap of peace and quiet," he told me. I pointed out that he still carried, even when he was on his own property. "Well," he explained, "there's always some dumb sonofabitch that don't know me and ain't smart enough to take the time to ask around."

Safes are fine, I suppose. Vigilance, ability and a neighborhood defense plan are better. Building a reputation for those things doesn't hurt either.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
^ I was looking into getting one of these. My local Bass Pro Shop has a deal for 150.00 for this + a handgun safe. It'd be nice to have an actual safe, but these locking cabinets should provide more than enough security as long as you anchored it to the wall or floor.

Stack-on also makes a smaller one designed to fit and mount between 2 studs in a wall.
It is small though- I think only 4-5 long guns.

I'm with Ripsnortr. The snap-on ones, while providing okay protection, are essentially a large tool box with a basic 2 or 3 point locking mechanism. A rod that goes through the top and bottom, plus a tab that is dependent upon the strength of the metal on the left of the door to secure it. Good to keep kids out, not so much for someone with ambition and a crow bar. Guess I'll be looking around for other options. Just don't want to drop a grand on a huge safe.

Yes, Rip it looks like the same one but I have the electronic keypad. It looks bigger online, lol. I wanted the safe to fit in the closet in MBR and be able to close the sliding door so it is "out of site out of mind" and yes I know that thieves will find it and try to open it but I am going to place it on the left side of the closet where there is an exterior wall. I think the way it is placed makes a difference. In your picture it looks like that there is room to stick a pry bar on the bolt side of the door and there may be enough room and leverage to get a good shot at prying it open. If you turn it 90 degrees to the left they can't get enough leverage because of the wall. There are videos on youtube of guys prying open safes. The first thing they do is shove in over with the door facing up and use 2 pry bars to pry the door open using their body weight as leverage. I am hoping that bolted down ( so they can't flip it on its back) and placing it close to a wall on the left side (no room for leverage) will deter them. It will take them longer than normal to get thru the door of the MBR alone ( because of the way it has been altered) so I am hoping they get scared (run out of time)and get the heck out of dodge. I do live on a dead end street with the houses close togeather and being in Socal all of the kids and stay at home moms are outside alot and will see any activity and call the police. Maybe this is wishful thinking but I think this my best alternative. Questions and responses are welcome. Oh, the safe did arrive and is in tact and I am getting everything togeather to move it in place. And I am sorry that your insurance company did not help as much as they should. I hope you all are getting back to being close to normal.

Mudinyeri said:
I recently read a blog by Mike Vanderboegh that was re-posted in another forum where I'm a member. I found it to be excellent food for thought.

I have a question: How long will your safe protect valuables when a home-invasion gang is holding a pistol to your two-year-old daughter's head? There's a lot of guys who have some gold or silver tucked away on the top shelf of their gun safes. That's fine. But what I am questioning here is the belief that a safe -- and a safe alone, absent firearms and the will to use them -- can protect your valuables from predators. Even if it is a break-in while you are not there, they will discover the safe, conclude it has valuables, and come back later with a better plan and a bigger crew when you are home to open it for them and available for a little friendly persuasion.

There is a man up in Winston County I know who once had a meth addict try to rob his house about ten years ago. The meth addict did not survive the experience. He regretted having to kill the man, but observed that the predator's death had netted some benefits. "Bought me a heap of peace and quiet," he told me. I pointed out that he still carried, even when he was on his own property. "Well," he explained, "there's always some dumb sonofabitch that don't know me and ain't smart enough to take the time to ask around."

Safes are fine, I suppose. Vigilance, ability and a neighborhood defense plan are better. Building a reputation for those things doesn't hurt either.

Every plan for protecting your valuables should be in layers. No one thing is enough to stop a determined theif(s). I have worked several things in between someone and my valuables after my break-in. I have called it the "onion" approach. If there is enough layers between them and what they want, they will have to decide if it is worth the trouble as they keep pressing forward.

I actually had the theives re-visit my home soon after the break-in and they pulled up the driveway until they saw my mother on the front porch with my Mossy. (she has fired it and had no issues using it if she had to) I have a long driveway and they got a third of the way up before they saw her and slowly backed out. Unfortunately they wern't close enough for her to make out the plate. Sense then I beleive we saw that another home a mile up the road was hit. So, they are still active, and probably will be for a long time. I think they had a list of things they missed and wanted to see if they could have another go at it.

My house was hit before I owned it, and I expect them to try again someday. Hopefully with all of the layers of the "onion" that I am putting in place, they will not get away with as much if anything at all before someone is on scene.

I live a town away from "the big city" here in New Hampshire. This is not something you would expect when you look at the thousands of acers of woods that surround my home, but looks like we are close enought to commute to rob. So, I have had to adjust accordingly.

Back