• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gun Safes

Good advice on resetting the combo- be SURE you check the new combo three times before you shut the door.

As for a discount toward the shipping; I think i heard a 'gulp' coming out of the email when I asked about a discount and Alyssa looked up how much it was going to cost to ship my safe to me........ needless to say, I didn't get a discount.

Also, the carrier scratched up the finish on my safe pretty good somewhere on the trip across the country. But I got some touch-up paint from Sturdy and followed the directions in the video on how to fix the paint (I think that's on youtube). I was apprehensive at first but it turned out so good you can't tell where the scratch was. Love that new color.

I didn't get the common carrier shipping because I live only 20 miles away.
They gave me a $300 discount & had a local guy get it with his pick-up for $100.

So rather than say the shipping is free, say the shipping is included in the price. If you pick it up yourself they discount that.

BTW I changed my combination after I got the safe, and I couldn't unlock it again. I got it reset of course, because the door was open & I had the reset key. With the door open you just twiddle the lock around until the key goes in & you can reset it.

It turned out that the first number was just half a mark off when I set the combo. These locks are pretty precise, and you need to be spot on when you set it. Even more spot-on than when opening actually. Get the marks spot on or you may find yourself thinking you'd done it right but the lock won't work.

Different locks have different tolerances. S&G recommends you test it three times with each combo change, once with the under, once with the over and once with exact numbers. The over or under may be up +/- up to one number based on the tolerances of the lock. (i.e if your combo is 10-20-30 and your tolerance is +/-1 then test it with 9-19-29, 11-21-31 and with 10-20-30 before closing the door and locking it. It could also be in 1/2 tick increments). You will have to check the specs on the model of lock you have.

Thanks Mike,

I just diddled the numbers up and down a half notch and found it right away. But on my first reset I blew one number totally and had to go from the back with the key. You look in the hole and run the normal rotations without looking at the dial, until you get all the key holes lined up.

Some combinations seem to lend themselves to easier manipulation than others. I found that out when trying some different combinations.

Back