• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Guns to Avoid!

I have a .40 Hi Point Carbine that I enjoy very much.

My friend bought a .40 Hi Point handgun and neither of us could hit the broadside of a barn with it. I mean, it just didn't seem possible we could be so bad. Well, it is a pretty cheap gun, so he decided to do a little home gunsmithing on the trigger. Once he had tuned up the trigger, we were suddenly deadly with the thing. Now I want one of the .40 Hi Point handguns and I am going to give it to him to tweak, first thing! :D Take care. Tom Worthington

Even though I loved shooting it. Had no problems with feeding or ejecting and it is (was) my favorite .22 handgun.
I have to nominate the Sig Mosquito and it's new named GSG ATI Firefly.

Unless the slide problem has been resolved I can not recommend buying a Sig Mosquito/ATI Firefly due to slide failures/breakage.

I purchased my Mosquito used and I probably put 500ish rounds of HV CPRN or lead RN ammo through it.
The last range trip ended with a broken slide.

This is a prevalent problem with the Zamak slides and for this reason I can not recommend this handgun if you want something for the long term.
I am going to have a slide machined out of aluminum to hopefully resolve the slide issue.

Now I want one of the .40 Hi Point handguns and I am going to give it to him to tweak, first thing!
I'd like to hear how the HP.40 behaves before and after tweak job. Our HG carry school only has the 9mm Hi Point on the no-no list. The 40s haven't been much problem.

My friend has the Hi Point 40.... rear sight started to move after 100 rounds. And it's ugly as shit.

Even though I loved shooting it. Had no problems with feeding or ejecting and it is (was) my favorite .22 handgun.
I have to nominate the Sig Mosquito and it's new named GSG ATI Firefly.

Unless the slide problem has been resolved I can not recommend buying a Sig Mosquito/ATI Firefly due to slide failures/breakage.

I purchased my Mosquito used and I probably put 500ish rounds of HV CPRN or lead RN ammo through it.
The last range trip ended with a broken slide.

This is a prevalent problem with the Zamak slides and for this reason I can not recommend this handgun if you want something for the long term.
I am going to have a slide machined out of aluminum to hopefully resolve the slide issue.

What What?!?!?!?! That looks like cheap pot meta!! I would expect better from Sig

What What?!?!?!?! That looks like cheap pot meta!! I would expect better from Sig
Not made by Sig. They made mistake of attaching their good name to this pistol. Im sure many purchased based on name recognition and got screwed after Sig dumped them.

Not made by Sig. They made mistake of attaching their good name to this pistol. Im sure many purchased based on name recognition and got screwed after Sig dumped them.

Guilty!...I bought mine based on the Sig name.

Mailed off the original slide pieces today.
Hopefully the slide I'm having made out of aluminum functions well.

Too bad you couldn't keep the old slide pieces. They would look great framed. And think of the great stories you could make up for the next generation.

I sent the slide off to a machinist who is going to reverse engineer it and make me a slide out of either 6061 or 2024 aluminum.
I will get the original slide back.

I already have quite the story of that day. I had 2 slide failures on the same range trip.
Cease fires to clear the range and collect the pieces..twice .....
Broke the Sig Mosquito and The DBFS9 also had a slide failure, The tab that holds the recoil spring/rod assembly.
The FS9 is already at the factory in Florida getting repaired.

The damage to my DBFS9...

My friend has the Hi Point 40.... rear sight started to move after 100 rounds. And it's ugly as shit.
M6rEzCi.jpg

So far, after my experiences with the Kahr .380 pistol, I would advise anyone who is not at least a modestly capable gunsmith to avoid this weapon.

Mine would go bang when you pulled the trigger, and it would normally do it at least twice in a row. But the third shot with self defense ammo was a gamble. Out of five mags of flat nose Winchester I shot through it, we had at least 4 stove pipes and three no-feeds.

Also the mag would not drop nor even eject readily, and you had to physically pull it from the gun.

After I removed some internal plastic casting irregularities from the handle, the mag would drop OK. Don't take off too much because you could lose your alignment.

The throat on this gun is built into the barrel and it was polished, yet had scars, was cut crooked and thus short on one side. I carefully throated this out with some 320 sandpaper on a tiny brass rod, and then polished it again.

Now it feeds ball ammo and flat nose ammo with equal facility.

But for what I paid on this gun ($408 plus taxes and fees) I would have been very disappointed except for two things.

One is that I can fix it myself.

The other is that these guns are unavailable in California new.

Last edited:
Hi-point has a bad name. I had a Hi-Point .45 back before I knew anything about guns. It shot every time I squeezed the trigger. They're dirt cheap though.

I have a Hi Point 995. It is an absolute piece of junk. That said, it never FTF's or FTE's, was cheap to buy, Hi Point has the best customer service and warranty bar none (have used both when it was new), being a 9mm carbine, I question it's usefulness but it can be fun to shoot varmits with. It is very accurate with stock sights within it's useful range, it doesn't need to be cleaned often at all, it will shoot perfectly when filthy dirty, it can be tedious to take apart to clean when it is needed which is very seldom. Normally, I just spray out the crud with GT85, wipe out the bolt area, let it dry and leave it alone. I also run a brush and a few patches down the barrel every couple thousand rounds then forget about the bore. It's had thousands upon thousands of rounds thru it at the farm yet it works better than new. I don't feel like I have much to lose if I do lose it. It has yet to fail in any way but, yep, it is an absolute piece of junk.

An old welder I know used to say that the best tools were the ones that wore in instead of out.

I know my Mossberg lever gun didn’t work well until I had put some time on it. Now that it’s worn in, it doesn’t miss a beat.

Back