• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

H&R & NEF Rifles

Re: New England Firearms Handi-Rifle

Thanks John!!! I appreciate that info and the $40 is an excellent price!

The other thing I would have to look into is moving the front sight back on the barrel..

Re: New England Firearms Handi-Rifle

I've not looked at them very closely, but would probably be no harder than aligning and tapping a few holes for screws.

If they can center the barrel for the mill using the factory sights before cutting the barrel, they should be able to get it as close to center as the factory

Help me pick between these two Handi-Rifles

I can trade into either one of two Handi Rifles pretty much even up. One is a NEF and the other is an H&R.

One is chambered in .44 Magnum, the other in .357 Magnum. Both have Williams rifle sights and are NIB.

I cast bullets for (and reload) .38-Spl and .357 Magnum so ammo for me is really cheap and I can load anything from what would feel like .22 Long Rifle to something that would put a pretty good thump on a deer. I have plenty of brass and powder and primers and lead.

I could buy a 6-banger .44 bullet mold and then start making fourty-fours that would be really inexpensive as well, although all the brass I currently have is just .44-Special (I gave away craploads of .44 Magnum brass to online friends over the last two years). Getting a couple hundred pieces of .44 Magnum brass will set me back pretty bad. I don't have a .44 Magnum or .44 Special revolver at present but looking thru the barrel at that massivly huge bore has got my wheels turning regarding the forty-four. It's calling to me. I want one.

I have a few revolvers chambered in .38-Spl/.357 Magnum plus two bullet molds ready to go for the cast bullets needed. This .357 Magnum rifle is also calling to me because I can start shooting the .357-Magnum Handi-Rifle right effin now at a cost of about $3.00 per 50-rounds. But if I get the .44 rifle I can be up and going for the cost of a $40 bullet mould and shoot even bigger thumpers.

The .44 Magnum rifle is almost $50 cheaper as well.
What the heck should I do??????????????????????????????????

Re: Help me pick between these two Handi-Rifles

oooohhh, I didn't think about getting a can for it. Whatta cool thing that would be!

Thanks for the comment, dammit! :)

If the start up cost you mention isn’t an issue…44 mag without a doubt. You already been loading the 357 for a while…..44 mag is a whole new adventure and you like the challenge of learning a new cartridge….plus the 44 has way more poop.

.44 MAGNUM...Just do it ...and don't look back!! ;)

You mention the .44 bein $50 less. Theres your start up cost for the molds... just need brass.

I've been lookin at the Handi-Rifles too, but in .45-70, which is a huge expense, but I had seen an NEF in .45-70 and it has captured my imagination ever since.

It seems you really kinda wanna get into the .44? But if it isnt something you feel really strongly about, I'd stick with the other as youre already casting those. Interchangability.

Well, now I really feel like a dope.

I didn't consider the fact that I have an SB2 HandiRifle in .270 already! So for less than the price of adding one new rifle I can get two barrels for the one I already own.

See why I feel stupid right about now? :lol:

I think I'm going to dust off the old girl and load some sub-sonic .270 Winchester rounds with 130-gr JSPs and Trailboss and have me a little plink-fest while I ponder the new barrels option..... These very quiet .270 loads are an absolute hoot to shoot!

some folks are loading the 6.8 with trailboss to get subs.

After all, 6.8 = .277. ;)

So the new topic is wich barrels to get..what are the choices? Still the same as the first question?

I think that pistol bullets that are easy to cast and for which I have brass on hand is preferable to starting a whole 'nuther beast like .45-70 or some other.

Besides, the pistol cartridges would provide really fun plinking and small game shooting that doesn't require lots of case prep work. Plus, kids and some wimmins who are recoil shy would probably like shooting the sissy loads. ;)

I can load 100 rounds of .357 Magnum for under $5.00 a box of 100 so it's about as cheap to shoot as .22 Long Rifle! heheheheee.....

So, yeah: Still pondering either a .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum barrel. The one "issue" if you were to call it that, is that either of the rifles on the rack come with fairly nice iron sights, and the fitted barrels from H&R are sans sights and have a scope base on them so there is some cost for glass involved. I was kinda excited about an iron sighted rifle mich like shooting a .22LR plinker.

yeah ...better take the easy way :| .

Well, I got one of them. Pics will follow, but I think a lot of you will really like this little rifle.

It's an H&R1871 Trapper TALO Exclusive 72370 chambered for .357 Magnum, with an 18.5-inch barrel instead of the normal 22-inch. And it has the pistol grip synthetic stock and Williams iron sights (the normal 72370 comes with a scope base without iron sights plus a conventional shoulder stock).

When I get some pics I'll get them up here and over at HR1871Owners.com

This rifle is begging for a can.......

+1

Looking forward to updates

John A. said:
+1

Looking forward to updates

Well, here are a few quick unprofessional snapshots and comments....

It's a one-of-a-kind NIB rifle, I discovered.

This .357 Handi-Rifle TALO Trapper was shipped with hardwood stocks. But the LGS owner (whom I have bought guns from for 15 years) saw some potential for the H&R Handi-Grip shoulder stock and the synthetic Trapper forend. So he ordered the stock set for a .243 Lightweight Rifle and the swap was made before it went on the shelf with all OEM parts. Here's what it looked like when I saw it for sale:

357Handi_rifle1.jpg

It's a 5-1/2 pound .357 Magnum rifle, iron sighted but also drilled and tapped for a scope base, and cut short to 18.75". It has a very comfortable pistol grip stock, and I got the complete wood stock and forend set as a bonus

357Handi_rifle3.jpg

It has a very soft recoil pad, not that it's really needed

357Handi_rifle2.jpg

I shot some 158-gr LSWC .38-Spl +P that probably did about 1,000-fps (didn't want to drag out the chrono for just a few shots) and it was as quiet as a .22-LR with High-Velocity bullets. Hell, I may not even want a can for this little lightweight Handi-Rifle. I didn't wear hearing protection and it sounded like a .22 rifle but the thump on the other end is a pretty good smack.

I'm looking to load some 180-gr Hornady XTPs that'll be great deer medicine (maybe $24/100), and also some 148-gr full wadcutter thutty-8s for rabbit and squirrel and plinking and teaching kids and killing racoon raiders and whatever else I can think of. (At less than three bux per fifty). :D

I'm pretty happy with the purchase. My bride and I stopped in to put it on lay-a-way but while I was distracted with the owner she just bought the thing outright so I could take it home. Thanks for looking!

And Thank You, Kathy, for being such a wonderful and understanding wife. Wuvoo.....

That is a great looking gun. Looks like it will serve you well for a very long time to come.

I really like the pictures and backdrop too.

[Thundering applause in the background]

Nice. I've aleays wanted to try the .357 in rifle/carbine form.

If you want some real thumpers check out the Buffalo Bore stuff. I've been shooting some out of my .357 revolver and I like it a lot.

Great lookin rifle nitesite! Congrats on the aquisition, and it looks like you married well Sir... :D

John A. said:
I really like the...backdrop too.

I wanted to put a white towel on the table and use the camera flash for lots of contrast but didn''t have the necessary motivation. :lol:

Back