• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Sorry if this is not the right forum, wasnt sure were to put it. Did a search but didnt find anything. Btw, searching via droid isnt fun... Anyway,

I am looking around armslist, and were ever, trying to find a cheaper gun just for fun, maybe a .22 so i can give my wife mine, or so i can keep mine amd give her the new one.. or maybe something else, idk.

My question here is, what does one do to help insure there in keep with the law as far as stolen guns go? What i mean is, can one search the ncic (i think its called) or something to varify the gun is not stolen before purchasing?

I dont wanna buy a gun, then in the future sell it, or use it for HD and go to jail for having (or stealing) a stolen gun. Do i just have them sign and date a bill of sale? I mean, obviously if the guy acts nervous. And tries to sell me a mossberg 590a1 or a glock 22 for $40, ima tell him no thanks. But not everyone selling a stolen gun is going to be like that, and likewise, not everyone selling a gun at a good deal is selling a stolen gun. Might be someone falling on hard times..

I mean, i just baught a 500 for $150~ from a pawn shop

That means someone sold it to the shop for $75~ needing quick cash right?

Re: (not) buying a stolen gun?

gibson_es said:

Well, it could have been traded in for something the shop had, like a guitar, or it could have been a contractor who traded for power tools, or a compressor. But generally in most places Pawn Shops work pretty closely with the po-po. If the serial number on the gun is intact, police had probably been by before the gun was put on sale, recorded the number, checked for stolen, etc. If the serial number was scratched off, a reputable pawn shop wouldn't touch it. At least in civilized places that's how it works... I understand Florida can be a bit... Wild :lol: You can always call the police before doing business with the shop and ask if the shop is reputable.

Now private party sales is another matter. I wouldn't buy a gun from someone I didn't have some kind of association with, like belonging to the same club, or I knew them from somewhere else. But that's just me. I'm not rich, but I can afford to buy a "good deal", so I don't really search out "crazy great deals". I'd rather pay a little more, and be safe.

Another thing with used weapons. You never know when you're getting the failed project of an amateur gunsmith... I'd rather buy a used gun from have shop that has an in house smith. You pay a little more, but I've had guns go off unexpectedly in my hand before. I was trying someone's Ruger 22 pistol to see if I liked his red dot sight, and it rattled off 3 shots, full auto style, on one trigger pull. He had just installed a "drop in" competition trigger upgrade kit. He did it badly...

blue said:
gibson_es said:

Well, it could have been traded in for something the shop had, like a guitar, or it could have been a contractor who traded for power tools, or a compressor. But generally in most places Pawn Shops work pretty closely with the po-po. If the serial number on the gun is intact, police had probably been by before the gun was put on sale, recorded the number, checked for stolen, etc. If the serial number was scratched off, a reputable pawn shop wouldn't touch it. At least in civilized places that's how it works... I understand Florida can be a bit... Wild :lol: You can always call the police before doing business with the shop and ask if the shop is reputable.

Now private party sales is another matter. I wouldn't buy a gun from someone I didn't have some kind of association with, like belonging to the same club, or I knew them from somewhere else. But that's just me. I'm not rich, but I can afford to buy a "good deal", so I don't really search out "crazy great deals". I'd rather pay a little more, and be safe.

Another thing with used weapons. You never know when you're getting the failed project of an amateur gunsmith... I'd rather buy a used gun from have shop that has an in house smith. You pay a little more, but I've had guns go off unexpectedly in my hand before. I was trying someone's Ruger 22 pistol to see if I liked his red dot sight, and it rattled off 3 shots, full auto style, on one trigger pull. He had just installed a "drop in" competition trigger upgrade kit. He did it badly...

Im refering to private party. The pawn shop was a bad example i guess..

Im just wondering, if i get a signed bill of sale, and check i.d. to insure the name matches, would this "get me outa dodge" so to speak?

Though. I would feel much better if i could have the numbers ran, you mention calling the police, will they run numbers for you like that? No fee, no nothing?

Here in Vegas, we go to a local PD and transfer handguns on the spot.

I presume other states might do this, but might not so I can't say for sure

I also presume they run the gun info to make sure it's legit

gibson_es said:
Im refering to private party. The pawn shop was a bad example i guess..

Im just wondering, if i get a signed bill of sale, and check i.d. to insure the name matches, would this "get me outa dodge" so to speak?

Though. I would feel much better if i could have the numbers ran, you mention calling the police, will they run numbers for you like that? No fee, no nothing?

Okay. Gotcha. All you can do is get the best info you can. You can find any number of forms online for recording the required info. My state (washington) has its own. Your state might. If not lots of gun rights groups have their own like this http://www.beararms.com/PDF/FTUP.pdf There's a link at the end of the form to the ATF for further info

Here's a form you can modify, then copy & paste:

===================================================================
GUN BILL OF SALE

STATE OF _________________ COUNTY OF___________________

("SELLER") and ("BUYER") agree as follows:

For the payment of the sum of $_______________ , SELLER does hereby sell and transfer ownership to BUYER the following described firearm:

Model: ____________

Make: _____________

Serial Number: _____________

Caliber: ___________________

Carry Permit # of Seller: ___________

State and County Permit Issued: ________

Seller’s Drivers License #: ________

Buyer’s Drivers License #: ___________

If buyer is a dealer, include the following information:

Dealer’s Name: __________
Dealer’s Address: ______________

State and County Dealership is Located: _________

Dealer’s Permit or State Dealer Number: ___________

Seller hereby warrants that they are the lawful owner of said property and that they have
full legal right, power, and authority to sell said property. Seller further warrants said
property to be free of all encumbrances, liens, security agreements, claims, demands,and
charges of every kind whatsoever and will warrant and defend the title to said property
against any and all persons whomsoever.

The said firearm is being sold "as is" without any express or implied warrant
as to condition or working order.

SELLER and BUYER declare under penalty of law that to the best of their knowledge
all disclosures to each other in connection with the above transaction, and all other
information on this Bill Of Sale, is true and correct.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Parties have executed this Bill Of Sale on this______(day)____(year)

Seller Name: _________________

Seller Signature: _________________

Seller Street Address: ______________

City:______________ State: _______ Zip Code: ______

Date Signed: ________

Buyer Name: ___________

Buyer Signature: ___________

Buyer Street Address: __________

City: _________________ State: ______ Zip Code: ________

Date Signed: ________________

+++++++++++ IF REQUIRED BY STATE LAW +++++++++++

Witness Name: _________

Witness Signature: ___________

Witness Street Address: ___________

City:____________________ State: _____ Zip Code: _______

Date Signed:________

NOTARY SEAL ( if required by law ):====>>>

====================================================================

blue said:
gibson_es said:

$150 for a Mossy 500 is about right for a pawn shop used item.
Florida might be a little "wild" but the pawn shops are pretty careful.
All will require a "transfer" form and call it in before you walk out.
Gun shows are "buyer beware", but if you can find a dealer to do a legal
transfer, pay him his fee! It is well worth peace of mind. If seller won't do it-
you have your answer!

Handgun Recommendations, Need Advice...

Greetings,
I have an itch to purchase a .45 pistol. I am starting the research stage by asking my fellow board members for recommendations. This is my criteria for the .45 pistol. It has to accept high capacity magazine. I do not care what brand it is or how much it cost. I would like to have the whole field of view on these pistols before I narrow it down. If you know of any pistol meeting this criteria that I should stay away from, this information would be greatly appreciated also. If there is other criteria you feel I should consider, also let me know. Thank you in advance. ;)

Re: Recommendations for a .45 pistol?

What is your intended use for the pistol, HD, CC, etc?

That'll help narrow the field of options a bit...

The intended use is HD, occasional CC, and fun at the range. It will also be carried in the vehicles. I always carry while hunting along the Rio Grande. The gun will be well used. If I like it, I will buy two. I do not mind using a 1k pistol for truck carry. I just do not store it in the truck.

g21.jpg

Got Glock? :D

My personal favorite hi-cap .45...

Glock 21

I've always liked Glock for their simplicity and bare bones operation. It shoots like a dream at the range and even though it's a full sized pistol, can be easily concealed in an IWB holster. They're very reasonably priced and can be found almost anywhere.

I will also accept hearsay. Any lead is a welcome lead. You newbies, please chime in. I'd like to hear everyone's :) thoughts and recommendations.

My next handgun purchase...

P220 Elite Stainless

SIG reliability plus .45acp power wrapped up in one helluva good lookin package. I've gotta have it...

The GLOCK21 is a very good pistol. The Gen 3 is better than the Gen 4, but Gen 3s are getting hard to find NIB.

Would you like your options to include all steel and a longer sight radius? If so, I would strongly urge you to check out a CZ97B. A great all-steel gun.

Gen3's are still in production so the only way I could see it being a problem is dealers trying to move their Gen4's. The only issues with the Gen4's (I have a Gen4 G19) I've seen/heard of is the early production guide rod springs, but Glock will replace it if you get one of the older ones.

I'm still partial to the ergos of the Gen 3 Glocks. Not a fan of the rough textured frame on the Gen 4...

+1 for a Gen 3 Glock...G21 ( full size ) or G30 ( compact ).

I carry a G30sf ( slim frame ) all day, every day, in an IWB holster, strong side, kidney....hardly feeling the weight. Loaded 10+1...it only weighs 34 ozs...and will accept the 13 round mag for the G21.

It meets and exceeds your criteria...battle tested and street proven.

======================================================

GLOCK30SF-1-2.jpg

=======================================================

The list of users at the bottom of this links page speaks volumes about it's reliability & merit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock_pistol

=======================================================

Price matters. In the $500 to $600 range your usual suspects are Glock, Springfield XDs and S&W M&Ps. You didn't mention your experience level either.

Personally I like the M&P, having had my M&P9 for awhile, there is nothing but the rear sight that I wanted to change. I wanted a more flat face "combat style" as opposed to the novak lo-mount style which I don't like on any gun so I got a 10-8.
04__37543_zoom.jpg

Since I'm now reloading 45acp, I'm looking myself at the 45s from the three companies I mentioned above. Glock still feels weird in my hand. XDs still look like a double decker bus, and the perceived recoil is bad due to the axis of the barrel in relation to your hand. That leaves the M&P, which I already know I love :mrgreen:

They have three sizes full (4.5 inch barrel), intermediate (4 inch barrel), and compact (4 inch barrel with a shorter compact style grip, and no beaver tail. Their capacity is a little lower than their competitors, but if you can't get it done with 10 in the mag, you probably needed a shotgun or an AR in the first place.

So I would suggest an M&P should be on your short list. The Sig 220 is a very nice gun, but you can buy one of the guns I mentioned, a TLR-1 light, a holster, and over $200 of ammo for the same price. If you're a serious "enthusiast" it may be worth it. But it takes a fair amount of shooting, and regular practice, to get competent with the DA/SA action on Sigs. That initial 10 lb trigger pull on the first Double Action shot is something to really consider. The first shot is your most important in self defense. I don't want my first one to be 10lbs and the next to be 4.5. The other guns I mentioned are all going to be around 5lbs on every pull, including the first.

I think a Gun like a 220, or a 1911 is great for a second gun. One of the high quality tupperware models is probably a better bet for the gun you keep beside your bed, or in an IWB holster. Just my opinion.

Back