• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hearing Protection in an HD situation

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Last time I went to the indoor range and the guy next to me was blasting away with his compensated .44, I was thinking to myself about how even two layers of hearing protection were barely enough.

So what to do in a real HD scenario? Now of course I understand that I'd rather be deaf than be shot... But are there any options worth trying? Are any of the sound amplifying muffs good enough to allow you to hear the bad guy? I've only trained a few times in shooting houses for the CG, which is the closest Ive come to knowing what it would be like to actually defending my home...and each time we were wearing ear plugs...

What are your guys' thoughts?
 

yz9890

.270 WIN
I can't think of a scenario where that would be practical. That certainly doesn't mean there isn't one though because I can't think of a lot of things. :) Even if there are headsets that can react fast enough to cover a gunshot and still allow you to hear prior to the shot (and you have time to put them on), there's the reliability to worry about. Dead batteries or a malfunction equals no hearing when you need it most.

I'd never hassle someone that figured out a way to work hearing protection into their system though. And you're absolutely right about the noise. I've made the mistake of taking my hearing protection off while the range was still hot and it was crazy load and painful. At least it'll be loud for the bad guy as well.
 

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I don't know how many of you have had the chance to shoot long guns in a confined space... but the concussion can be overwhelming. I personally wouldn't opt to use hearing protection just because I know I wouldn't think about it in the first place... but man would it be helpful...

That's why suppressors should be standard equipment and off of NFA regulation... then you take the intruder down silently and in the shadows of your own home ;)
 

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I have a set of muffs that have built in amplified speakers that allow you to near better than normal but cut off at a certain db level. Ive used them hunting with a handgun and they work pretty good even though thay are not as good as the unfilterred ear for picking out precise location of sounds. I never thought about using them for hd but i guess it could be an option if time allowed.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2
 

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I have some of those, I like em......I shot my AR for the first time without them testing 3 reloads and it rang my ears bad....3 rounds and I was about deaf for 2 minutes
 

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Got it under control dude.
 

Tom396

.30-06
My concern is that I could possibly take myself out of the fight. :| I've considered putting earplugs next to the bed, but only putting one of them in. Just a thought. Take care. Tom Worthington
 

OhioArcher

Where's da fishes?
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
This is a good discussion. But comparing shooting at the range and during a HD situation is like...well, you know.

THE most important part is surviving and protecting your loved ones...or your dog...whatever it is that needs protecting. Will a gun shot in the house be loud?...Yes. Will your ears ring?...Yes. Will earplugs help save your hearing?...Yes, but it will impede your hearing prior to any gunfire. Electronic muffs work but there is a limit to how well they will protect your hearing. I was shooting at the local indoor range with only muffs. They weren't enough so I had to put in earplugs along with the muffs. You may have neither the time nor the ability to use either in an HD situation.

Save your hearing at the range...save your ass in an HD situation.
 

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
after I shot those three rounds my buddy shot two and rang his ears, then we started wondering what it would be like with 5 AR's or so going off in a building while in a fight, where communication is more important then anything.......what the hell does the military use for this because that's what I want laying around incase there is a need for it ?....not really for HD but if one actually had to fight for survival.....I would just suck it up for an HD encounter and hope the plan in place would unfold in my favor
 

OhioArcher

Where's da fishes?
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
oli700 said:
after I shot those three rounds my buddy shot two and rang his ears, then we started wondering what it would be like with 5 AR's or so going off in a building while in a fight, where communication is more important then anything.......what the hell does the military use for this because that's what I want laying around incase there is a need for it ?....not really for HD but if one actually had to fight for survival.....I would just suck it up for an HD encounter and hope the plan in place would unfold in my favor

Not sure about the military but I think they use comm system with molded ear buds. I have a set for the bike and my wife and I can talk easily even at highway speeds. But they block out a lot of other sounds. Everyone would have to be on the same comm system for that to work in a loud, dynamic environment.
 

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I shot my 357 one time without ear protection. Only one shot out in the woods and it was a few days before my hearing came back to normal. I cannot imagine doing that in an enclosed space.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2
 

OhioArcher

Where's da fishes?
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
MikeD said:
I shot my 357 one time without ear protection. Only one shot out in the woods and it was a few days before my hearing came back to normal. I cannot imagine doing that in an enclosed space.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

My ears are so screwed up after working on fighters, loud repair shops, Dynos and bikes. They ring all the time...it is never quiet in my head... :(
 

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
OhioArcher said:
MikeD said:
I shot my 357 one time without ear protection. Only one shot out in the woods and it was a few days before my hearing came back to normal. I cannot imagine doing that in an enclosed space.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk2

My ears are so screwed up after working on fighters, loud repair shops, Dynos and bikes. They ring all the time...it is never quiet in my head... :(

What? ;)
 
Top