• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello all from TX

dave2

Copper BB
Hello fellow Mossberg owners from big D - Dallas, TX. I've decided on a home defense weapon and my LE buddy sold me his older Mossberg 500A that he was not using. I've not been a 'gun person' in the past but want to learn now. I do not own a hand gun yet but am considering it.

Anyway I just wanted to say hello to all. I plan to be visiting this forum regularly. I need to learn and then practice to become good with this weapon. I need to find place to shoot and someone to shoot with and/or lessons.

Just now watching the video on how to load and unload a 500. http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=186

Is this considered the correct way? I really don't know......please help!

Dave

Welcome aboard Sir!

I'm a Dallas area native myself, Arlington to be exact. Hangin my hat in Nashville now though. We're a fun lovin bunch and we like to maintain a laid back atmosphere around here. Please take some time to visit our various subforums and make yourself at home. We've got plenty of handgun conversations goin in the Other Weapons subforum so feel free to jump in when you're ready. The video looks good to me. Be sure to post up some pics of your new 500 when you get a chance and let us know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy the site!

I'm looking for somewhere around the Dallas area to shoot my new 500 - range, property, etc. And someone to go with too

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Its great to have you as part of our ever growing community. Please feel free to post up any and all questions that you may have. I lived in College Station, TX for a bit so I could tell you some places and people to shoot with in that area but unfortunately I don't know anyone in Dallas at the moment.

Welcome, Texas is huge cant you just find a piece of desert or something to go shoot ? Remember the Alamo !

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum dave2...

To answer your question...yes, you can load your shotgun as shown in the video.

So, enjoy the forum and don't forget to post a picture of your new Mossy :!:

howdy dave2! glad to see ya around these here parts!

Thanks for the many welcomes! Yes I will be exploring the site over the next weeks. I've found one gun range in the Dallas area that gives a class on defensive shotguns. It's 8 hours though for $175. That sounds a bit long but would include the basics and some shooting as it says to bring buckshot and birdshot. I need a 'sling' also it says.... so I can put the gun over my shoulder? Where can I get one?

Dave

Check with your local Academy Sports store. They carry the Blackhawk Storm single-point tactical sling on-line, but not sure if they have in in-store...

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... ng&Ntk=All

There are several places to order slings on-line as well if you have time. I like AimSurplus, they have several to choose from...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx? ... 6+Adaptors

The only downside to ordering one is that you never know how it will fit, or how the gun will seat/hang. The ability to personalize the fit is crucial and I have found the Blackhawk Storm to be the best, most versatile fit for me. It's highly adjustable for shooters of all heights and sizes and has the Quick Detach feature which I find highly useful. For anyone unfamiliar with tactical slings, you can take a look through Blackhawk's sling selection to get an idea of the various styles. I like their site because they picture the sling being worn in its intended carry position.

Hi Dave2! Glad to have on the MO!!!

The video is on loading and unloading is correct... but. I think there is a better way to both fully load and unload. If I'm going to fully load any of my shotguns, I drop a round onto the lifter with the action back and chamber open, then slide the action forward and chamber the round. Same technique as a "tactical reload". Once the round is chambered, load as usual.

To unload, I use the cartridge stop. It takes a little longer annd youre not chambering every round to eject it, or in other words every round isnt cycled through the action.

Hmmm, maybe another video idea in there! ;)

Anyhow, Welcome aboard!

Rossignol said:
Hi Dave2! Glad to have on the MO!!!

The video is on loading and unloading is correct... but. I think there is a better way to both fully load and unload. If I'm going to fully load any of my shotguns, I drop a round onto the lifter with the action back and chamber open, then slide the action forward and chamber the round. Same technique as a "tactical reload". Once the round is chambered, load as usual.

To unload, I use the cartridge stop. It takes a little longer annd youre not chambering every round to eject it, or in other words every round isnt cycled through the action.

Hmmm, maybe another video idea in there! ;)

Anyhow, Welcome aboard!

Explain the 'cartridge stop' please --- does it keep each round in the magazine when loaded there?
Yes I would like to see a video of your method of loading/unloading - would it be easy for you to film a video for us shotgun newbies?

I really need to get together with someone in person who knows what they are doing so I can learn the correct and safe way to do things.

Thanks for the info!

Dave

I'll see what I can do in the near future, may be the week end before I can do anything though...

Its not that there is any wrong about what is shown in the video you linked to, or that there is any right about my preference. Just my preference is all, suits me better. So I'll see what I can do to get something together!

Thanks Rossignol. I'm trying to learn about the shotgun and its possibilities. There are many ways to skin a cat right.

I just last night read your piece on testing various ammo. Winchester Super X for practice shooting and the Federal LE132 for your home ... seems to be the conclusion there.

Sure thing man, Youre welcome!

Yeah, I like to target shoot and demo with the Winchester, its reasonably inexpensive as ammo goes and can be found just about anywhere, including gas stations around here in some cases. I do practice with the Federal, but not a ton. It isnt always readily available, so I always keep some in reserve for the home front! ;)

Using the cartridge stop is also better for the shell, eventually the rim will get tore up from the extractors if done repeatedly to the same shells…..

I have some work that's taking up most of my time right now, but I'm not too busy to offer a welcome to the site and Big Howdy from a fellow Texan. I'm sure you will find the site both educational and fun as I have.

Back