• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from NY...and Help

shootin fool

Copper BB
Hello all...I've been reading this forum for some time as a visitor. I decided today to join so that I can possibly benifit even more from the wealth of experience from the members here. I've had many questions answered already, just reading through the posts. I've never owned a gun before so this all new to me.

Here's what I've got:
I purchased a used Mossberg 500 pump Tactical? Persuader? several months ago for 'Home Defense'. It's synthetic/black with a 20" barrel and 7 (+1?) magazine. I don't hunt, but I've put 500 or so rounds through it since I got it, just shootin' stuff. Target load, slugs, whatever... Lot's of land/woods where I live/very few houses around.

I tried trap shooting last month and I absolutely loved it. I was practically laughed at by the regulars at the range when they saw what I was going to use. (20" barrel with open cylinder/no choke.) I was the one laughing when I nailed 16 out of 25 by my third round. (First round was 8, second was 10.)

I've been back every week and I keep scoring around 14, 15, or 16 out of 25... something's got to change... I went to gun store yesterday and purchased a 28" vented/ribbed barrel that came with a modified choke that I can change if I want.

Here's my issue:
The new barrel looks like it needs to be used with a shorter magazine tube. When I line up the barrels, the part on the barrel that screws into the magazine tube is 5 1/2" shorter on the longer barrel.

My questions are:
Should I return the 28" barrel and get a barrel that fits with the 7 round mag? Do they make such a barrel?
OR
Should I keep the barrel and buy a shorter magazine tube & spring? It doesn't matter how big the mag tube is when you only load 1 round at a time.
AND
If purchasing a new mag tube is a viable option, how do I know what size to get?
and
Where can I get one?

And yes, I know, I've read enough of the threads to know that someone will suggest that I return the barrel, save my energy, spend a couple bucks more, and just buy a gun set up for trap already. Sorry, wife won't let me...lol.

Thank you, and I look forward to many years of picking everyone's brains here as often as I can...

Howdy shootin fool, and welcome to the club. I cannot help with your questions, however there are peeps here who can. I just wanted to welcome you, and congrats on the Mossberg. Also, if you can post up the serial number and/or the model number here that'd be helpful to those who can be helpful.

Cheers. and I look forward to seeing ya round these parts for many years as often as possible....

Sorry another Non-Expert here :oops: But, I will say; Hello and Welcome!
The experts will be along shortly :mrgreen: :lol: :cool:

Lateck,

Hey man! Glad to have you here, thanks for taking the plunge and registering!

What you have is a 500 of the Persuader variety, 20" barrel, with the standard 500 mag tube lug only with a 7 + 1 capacity. This you already know though!

So you got the 28" barrel, but its set up for a sporting gun which is the same barrel/magazine lug set up, but 5 round capacity, or it may be 4 + 1.

There isnt a sporting barrel made to fit the longer magazine. You could get a magazine tube to match the barrel. I know there are a few places that offer them like Brownells, but I would go straight to Mossberg first.

Definitely interested in what you decide! Keep us posted!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Unfortunately I am not aware of a 28" barrel that fits on your model Mossberg 500. So you are left with changing your magazine tube OR having your 20" barrel threaded and add a set of chokes to it.

Rossignol - See, you've already told me more than I knew before.

I've searched many websites...Mossberg's was the first, but again being new to this I am not sure what I need. The mag tubes offered for sale at Mossberg's (that I could find) were for 500A, 500C, and 500E. Mine only states 500 on the bottom of gun. I have read that "A" designates that it's a 12 gauge, which is what I have, but on the bottom it is only stamped 500. No letters after the numbers.

The serial number is T790310.
I couldn't find any info on the gun using the serial number.

DHonovich - I didn't realize that I could have the 20" barrel threaded. Any idea on a general cost to have that done?

Thanks again for the help.

Welcome aboard!

Glad to see you're getting the help you need. If your 500 is a 12 gague, then it's definitely a 500 'A', so a shorter 500A mag tube will do the trick. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of your 500. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy the site!

No problem man! Lazy is absolutely right about the 500 "A", and as Dan mentioned, the 20" can be threaded for sure!

You can check with the place you got the barrel and see if they can recommend a gunsmith. I've seen some charge $75 and have heard of folks being charged much more... Theres a chance the cost of the 28" barrel could cover it.

Another place you can check is Havlin sales;
http://www.havlinsales.com

You can get a magazine from MidwayUSA.com they have s lot of Mossberg parts. Should be about $27 I think.

Sent with my modified D2G running TapTalk.

Blackhawk 835 Ulti-Mag 12 gauge 10+1, quick point limbsaver and spec-ops recoil reducing stock with tri-rail, laser, light and bipod.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum shootin fool !!

...you've come to the right place for answers on all things Mossberg.

Hey again all... I was able to get a shorter 5 round mag tube. (Local gun shop...used, with the spring for $25). Just finished putting it all together. Going to the trap range tomorrow night to try and kill as many of those little clay pigeons as I can...wish me luck! I'll let you know how it turned out. I'll also post pics as soon as I can get one of my kids to show me how to download them to the computer...ha ha.

As a side note...I called Mossberg on Monday to see if they had a mag tube for a 12 gauge 500, 5 shot round. After 15 minutes listening to muzak, I was told by the pre-recorded message that my wait time to speak with a representative was 32 minutes...I left a message.
They finally called me back two days later (yesterday). They said they were busy...aren't we all? Anyway, I told him why I called, and he stated that the tube for the 500A is what I needed. He also said they DO make a 28" barrel that can use a 7 round mag tube...for $135 and a 6 to 8 week wait period. I'm not sure if they custom make it or if they stock it unadvertised, but he said it was not available on the website, that I would have to order it through him over the phone. I told him thanks and I'd let him know, but the fact is, I already had the parts I needed and really did not want to wait 'till end of January.

Again, thanks for everyone's input. It's surely appreciated.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Glad you got it solved...now you got to work on that pic posting problem... ;)

OK Well...Friday night at the range didn't go as well as I wanted. Shot 7 rounds all together low was 12 out of 25. Highest was 19 out of 25. Definitely better, but not quite there yet. I did order a set of extended choke tubes last week. Will be here tomorrow. We'll see how the full choke works vs. the modified that came with the barrel.

Back