• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hey....been a few years for me.

roamingiowan

Copper BB
Just today I purchased a new Mossberg 590 shockwave.
I was checking it out and loading it up.
I loaded some Federal (10+ years old) 2¾" slugs.
They all cycled fine then I went to load up some 2¾" Rio 00 buck.
They wouldn't go past the brass (high) into the tube magazine.
They would go into the barrel if hand loaded from the ejection port in the receiver but not if I want them in the tube.
Any ideas"
Only thing that comes to mind is the Rio may just be slightly bigger for the tolerances in this new gun.

I really hate to have to completely disassemble and try to buff out the magazine tube but may have to.

I cast and reload my own buckshot and slugs and have a lot of different manufacturers hulls I can load to try out... including many used Rio and new Fiocchi .

What say you guys?

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but was the brass resized the last time it was reloaded? Because if it was not, that may be the issue. When brass is fired in a chamber, it typically swells to the dimensions of the chamber in the earlier gun.

Therefore, that's why they generally need to be sized back down.

I'm not sure, but was the brass resized the last time it was reloaded? Because if it was not, that may be the issue. When brass is fired in a chamber, it typically swells to the dimensions of the chamber in the earlier gun.

Therefore, that's why they generally need to be sized back down.

These were new unfired factory shells I bought a number of years back.

Since you reload shotgun ammo can you carefully size down the base of each shell on your press? It's pretty safe to do. Nothing would come close to the primer. What shotgun reloader do you use?

Since you reload shotgun ammo can you carefully size down the base of each shell on your press? It's pretty safe to do. Nothing would come close to the primer. What shotgun reloader do you use?

I mainly load by hand and use a roll crimper on my drill press.
But I do have a 12ga Lee load all 2 that does have a hull sizer....Would just have to find it.

Last edited:
The first thing I would do is take a brush and some oil to that magazine tube and scrub the living snot out of the inside. I’ve had several weapons that came from the factory with rust inside the magazine tubes.

The first thing I would do is take a brush and some oil to that magazine tube and scrub the living snot out of the inside. ...

Good idea @CaddmannQ .
Even though I use Living Snot as my main cleaner/lube, you really have to be careful about letting it accumulate in the wrong places.

My $0.02. The magazine tube inside diameter is sized to accept the maximum diameter on the shell plus a little extra for a positive tolerance. The max diameter on a shotgun shell is at the rim. So the ID of the tube will be slightly larger than the rim diameter. If you have a micrometer or caliper you can measure the Federal shell and the Rio shell and compare the results.
I’d start there and confirm if it’s a ammo issue or a shotgun issue. Keep us posted.

Good idea @CaddmannQ .
Even though I use Living Snot as my main cleaner/lube, you really have to be careful about letting it accumulate in the wrong places.

I can sell you 6 oz of my special snot removing oil for only $12.95!
(contains some soy.)

My $0.02. The magazine tube inside diameter is sized to accept the maximum diameter on the shell plus a little extra for a positive tolerance. The max diameter on a shotgun shell is at the rim. So the ID of the tube will be slightly larger than the rim diameter. If you have a micrometer or caliper you can measure the Federal shell and the Rio shell and compare the results.
I’d start there and confirm if it’s a ammo issue or a shotgun issue. Keep us posted.

One of mine had a slight dent or distortion in the magazine tube and it wasn’t really evident at casual observation. When I put the follower in the tube it would fall through.

I put that follower on a stick with some hot glue and ran it in and out with my fingers and I could feel it catching in a certain spot.

I used a steel rod to help straighten it out. I think it was damaged by the fellow that sold it to me.

Back