• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hi! First time Mossberg owner here... Is my slide assembly loose?

Is this normal wear for a brand new shotgun?

• Total voters

Koop

Copper BB
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hLoNbwRewgaXHAie7 (Media won't embed, sorry)

Hey from Rancho Cordova (Sacramento), California! I picked up my first Mossberg shotgun yesterday, a 590 Special Purpose Persuader. It seems to me that the forearm feels loose, and I'm already through the finish down to metal scratches on the mag tube and one slide rail after only running the action about 35 times. But I have no point of reference on what is normal wear, and I'm hoping someone here can tell me what I'm seeing is normal, or because I've haven't lubed things properly yet, and I won't have to send my new toy in for service before I even get a chance to fire it.

For some reason my YouTube link won't embed nor my photos either, so here is a link to a Google Photos Album with a video of the Forearm rotation and the photos of the scratches on the mag tube and action slide assembly https://photos.app.goo.gl/hLoNbwRewgaXHAie7 Let me know what you think?

I'm glad to have found you all, and looking forward to learning a lot. Thanks!

Koop, welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.

Good to have you aboard.
I can't help you out with your 590 concern, but I'm sure one of our practicing gunsmiths will jump in here with some advice.

index.php

Looks like normal movement and scratches to me.

They all have some play in them. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to pull the handguard back on the magazine tube and cycle the gun.

By "they all have some play in them" I'm referring to mossberg, remington, winchester, ithica, literally all pump shotguns.

Welcome to the forum.

Excellent! Thanks for posting the pictures, Scoop. And for the reassuring comment, John. My mind is at ease now, so gonna head to the range! Thanks a million guys

Hope you have a great time at the range. Have fun !! Don't be a stranger.

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your new Mossy.

Koop, welcome to the forum and the Mossberg world. I'm sure this will not be the last one you own!

Looking at the pictures I'd agree everything looks normal. But hold the gun upside down and look at the action bars to see if they are straight. They have a tendency to bow out occasionally and while that doesn't hurt anything they will rub on the receiver and scratch the finish off. If they are bowed you can take your thumb and fore finger and push them inward. But it doesn't impact the action and over time, no matter what you do, eventually the finish will get worn off.

Enjoy and regards

As mentioned, a little slop is normal and desired. This is a NEW gun, correct? Your gun has a metal slide over a metal tube so there will always be a little wear of the finish initially. Many parts on that gun are stampings, and will have sharp "edges" that will eventually "break-in". When I get a new or new-to-me gun I will take it down and clean it and smooth any sharp edges or rough surfaces of working parts. I call this "easing-in". :) I do NOT touch trigger or safety control surfaces (ie: sear, disconnector) unless there is an issue.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Back