• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hog Hunting

Here's a hawg I shot while hiking the Appalachian trail .... :lol:

HOGZILLA-1.jpg

...and here's what I used to take 'em down !! ;)

A10GETSUM-1.jpg

Don't ya just love hunting stories.... :mrgreen:

HOGZILLATSHIRT.jpg

Has anybody hunted hogs with the Tac .22?

If so , what ammo did the job? (If any!)

Re: Has anybody hunted hogs with the Tac .22?

Jonny99 said:

Never have...but that's because I would take more gun than a .22 with me to drop a feral hog...!

Just my 2 cents...

Jonny99 said:

I have killed several hogs with a 22.

But they've not been wild hogs and were tame and basically just put the gun up to their noggin' and turned their brain into slush puppy when it's time to turn them into bacon and ham and sausage.

I wouldn't personally want to hunt feral hogs with a 22 though.

Matter of fact, I don't even think I would want to with a .223 unless it was a little one although many do because they can be so accurate and can put the bullet exactly where it needs to be.

With everything related to hunting, shot placement is key.

But I would prefer something with more ooomph. The last thing I would want is a pissed off boar charging at me through the woods.

Jonny99 said:

In these parts there are tales of all size antlered creatures being taken with .22 lr, difference is the are standing still or running away from you. If you like a challenge I can see a smaller cal for fun but if you wound it and it dies a slow death than that’s the worst thing a hunter can do in my opinion. I strive for the clean kill, helps me sleep better

Jonny99 said:

I have a personal acquaintance whom I have known for years, and we talk guns and hunting a lot.

He likes to hunt hogs. Wild ones. He's gotten pretty good at it, but before he was good at it he had to learn thru some trial and error and learn from poor judgement.

A couple years ago, he was stalking down a forest trail and heard a hog rooting. He had a long gun slung across his back and a .45ACP 1911 pistol. He froze. The long gun was going to get hung in branches and make too much noise. So he quietly unholstered his trusty forty-five. And several seconds later the hog entered the trail and gave him a head on shot on a stationary wild pig. He fired once.

The 230-gr bullet skidded off the hogs flat skull.

I think a .22LR rimfire round would be equally ineffective or worse.

nitesite said:
Jonny99 said:

I have a personal acquaintance whom I have known for years, and we talk guns and hunting a lot.

He likes to hunt hogs. Wild ones. He's gotten pretty good at it, but before he was good at it he had to learn thru some trial and error and learn from poor judgement.

A couple years ago, he was stalking down a forest trail and heard a hog rooting. He had a long gun slung across his back and a .45ACP 1911 pistol. He froze. The long gun was going to get hung in branches and make too much noise. So he quietly unholstered his trusty forty-five. And several seconds later the hog entered the trail and gave him a head on shot on a stationary wild pig. He fired once.

The 230-gr bullet skidded off the hogs flat skull.

I think a .22LR rimfire round would be equally ineffective or worse.

No doubt, if you’re going to do it you should make it count . On the other hand if your buddy got him through the eye than it would have been legendary, 22 might go in the eye and bounce around some.I wouldn’t do it for sport but if I was hungry I’d take the shot, and if it was legal . I have heard the same thing about bear skulls , the way they posture when they charge makes their head a perfect bullet ramp lol

Jonny99 said:

for me...I'd feel more comfortable to use a 12 gauge slug or 308 or bigger.

Pistol caliber 357 magnum or bigger. I hate to see an animal suffer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVlrSVsAdpI[/youtube]

SoCal Choppas said:
I hate to see an animal suffer
So do I.
If I think one will, I won't take the shot.
I have to finish off animals that are suffering and it leaves me with mixed emotions.
After watching that video, I think I am feeling really sick. That was horrible.

SoCal Choppas said:
Jonny99 said:

Wow, I don’t even know what to say about that. Some people should not be allowed off the range with their guns. I would wear a paper sack over my head if I did that. I probably wouldn’t hunt again.

SoCal Choppas said:

Comments for that video have been disabled.

I guess the boy hasn't ever heard of "Sight over bore". Looked to me like he just kept shooting it in the jaw/mouth

I guess the boy hasn't ever heard of "Sight over bore". Looked to me like he just kept shooting it in the jaw/mouth

SoCal Choppas said:
I found it disturbing too. I rather have over kill, no pun intended.

You just earned a positive reputation point from me. I don't give them out easily.

Good effort.

John A. said:

I saw that video before the comments was disabled...there were hundreds of angry comments and remarks.

I actually wonder if that guy was using range ammo, instead of special purpose hunting rounds ie: soft points.

SoCal Choppas said:
John A. said:

I saw that video before the comments was disabled...there were hundreds of angry comments and remarks.

I actually wonder if that guy was using range ammo, instead of special purpose hunting rounds ie: soft points.

I have taken a nice size deer with a mini 14.....dropped in his tracks, 62g hollow point at 40 yards and it went clean through with a surprisingly large exit hole right behind the shoulder, sorry it was before digital cameras. I believe a clean kill is obtainable with a 223 on a hog as well, that guy was just a fool with a cool gun, probably 55g FMJ to boot

SoCal Choppas said:
Jonny99 said:

In the video, you can tell/hear the shooter was freaked out....this might be his last Hog hunt with his AR.

SoCal Choppas said:
In the video, you can tell/hear the shooter was freaked out....this might be his last Hog hunt with his AR.

That's the reason us hunters get a bad rap. He obviously had never done that kind of hunt before. He had to ask " shoot it again?"

I hate to see to any animal in pain. No matter how much of a nusance it is or had been.

I hope you don't plan on hunting anything but crows n squirrels with a 22.....

And there, Jonny99...is your answer !!

Back