• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hog Hunting

Re: Has anybody hunted hogs with the Tac .22?

Jonny99 said:
Good stuff guys. I think I will bring the .300 Win Mag instead!

cool you can see how many you can get with one shot lol, what kind of yards are you looking at on a hog in you parts?

oli700 said:
Jonny99 said:

cool you can see how many you can get with one shot lol, what kind of yards are you looking at on a hog in you parts?

Well the only reason I was considering using my .22 is that I will hunt from a bow stand at about 25 yards.

Jonny99 said:
oli700 said:
Jonny99 said:

Well the only reason I was considering using my .22 is that I will hunt from a bow stand at about 25 yards.

sounds like a good job for some sort of brush gun with iron sights.....or a 12g with slugs....or a 357 mag , 44 mag handgun

Jonny99 said:
Has anybody hunted hogs with the Tac .22?

If so , what ammo did the job? (If any!)

I hunt hog with a .22 Marlin using cheap brick ammo. I prefer the .22 and hunting the small ones than to a larger caliber for hunting the larger boars. I am in the hunt for the quality of meat. The .22 leaves less damage than a larger caliber. I prefer the smaller hogs simply because they do not have the wild taste of the much older boars. One can easily take down wild pig with a .22, just not the big ones. :)

J.L. said:
I hunt hog with a .22 Marlin using cheap brick ammo. I prefer the .22 and hunting the small ones than to a larger caliber for hunting the larger boars. I am in the hunt for the quality of meat. The .22 leaves less damage than a larger caliber. I prefer the smaller hogs simply because they do not have the wild taste of the much older boars. One can easily take down wild pig with a .22, just not the big ones. :)

Just because one can do something doesn't mean that one should. When it comes to hunting we owe it to the animal that it be dispatched in as quick and humane way as possible.

Under perfect conditions a ,.22 can be just as effective as bigger rifles but in the outdoors, we rarely encounter perfect conditions. Pigs, with their natural armor and resilience deserve and demand better than a .22. I seriously question the ethics of anyone that would argue otherwise. Yes, I've head numerous stories of how a monster was stopped in its tracks with a .22, but I've also seem videos of hunts where pigs went unfound after a magazine dump.

I like pushing myself and my equipment as much as anyone else, but not at the expense of another living creature.

Just my .02, take it as you will.

MikeD said:
Just because one can do something doesn't mean that one should. When it comes to hunting we owe it to the animal that it be dispatched in as quick and humane way as possible.

Under perfect conditions a ,.22 can be just as effective as bigger rifles but in the outdoors, we rarely encounter perfect conditions. Pigs, with their natural armor and resilience deserve and demand better than a .22. I seriously question the ethics of anyone that would argue otherwise. Yes, I've head numerous stories of how a monster was stopped in its tracks with a .22, but I've also seem videos of hunts where pigs went unfound after a magazine dump.

I like pushing myself and my equipment as much as anyone else, but not at the expense of another living creature.

Just my .02, take it as you will.

Well said.

I've got your back on this debate, MikeD.

Camel & a Boar

Thought id throw up this story, it took place towards the end of last year just before the heat of summer(Australia)

A mate and I were crusing a dry creek bed on a 75000acre property we have access to, when i caught site of this bull camel. The owner had told us prior that any camels about had to be culled as they were breeding out of control and destroying fences. I pulled up my quadas quick as possible and took to one knee, but the feral spooked and took off into a trot I gave chase until he stopped to front me as he turned and let out a warning to let me know to back off I steadied my Savage American Classic in 30.06 on his head and gave a quick humane dispatch at about 50 yards. He was in great nick very fit clean looking feral. We took the back meat for the farmers cattle dogs and left the rest for pig bait.

Attachments

• DSCF1623.jpg
    DSCF1623.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 293
Re: Camel & a Boar

A few days later I caught this boar early one morning having a feed on the carcass. Just as I was getting in position I stood on a twig and he took off once again gave chase and caught up with him in an opening in amougst the thick cover, again my Savage 30.06 using remington corelokt 150gr nice boar he weighed 80kg

Attachments

• DSCF1650.jpg
    DSCF1650.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 291

micko43 said:
A few days later I caught this boar early one morning having a feed on the carcass. Just as I was getting in position I stood on a twig and he took off once again gave chase and caught up with him in an opening in amougst the thick cover, again my Savage 30.06 using remington corelokt 150gr nice boar he weighed 80kg

Wow! Great posts! And I bet the boar meat wasn't given to the dogs! ;)

micko43 said:

Nice takes on both accounts micko43! Very nice, and thanks for sharing your stories...

micko43 said:

SWEET! Awesome story, Well done.

micko43 said:
Thought id throw up this story, it took place towards the end of last year just before the heat of summer(Australia)

A mate and I were crusing a dry creek bed on a 75000acre property we have access to, when i caught site of this bull camel. The owner had told us prior that any camels about had to be culled as they were breeding out of control and destroying fences. I pulled up my quadas quick as possible and took to one knee, but the feral spooked and took off into a trot I gave chase until he stopped to front me as he turned and let out a warning to let me know to back off I steadied my Savage American Classic in 30.06 on his head and gave a quick humane dispatch at about 50 yards. He was in great nick very fit clean looking feral. We took the back meat for the farmers cattle dogs and left the rest for pig bait.

micko43 said:

I've honestly never heard of hunting camels. And that is one nice hog. Congrats on both!!

micko43 said:

good story mick! what do camels taste like? and please don't say chicken... ;)

ripjack13 said:
good story mick! what do camels taste like? and please don't say chicken... ;)

It really has a flavor of it's own, maybe if anything abit like beef! Nothing like chicken ;)

Nice boar

Stalking along a dried up creek bed I came onto some action, where i found some pigs in the distance having a feed on a dead cow, so i slowly crept in and closed the distance unseen, getting closer I had to climb up out of the creek bed and pop up on the ferals. As i popped up the mob of about 5 took off in all directions. I quickly pulled the hammer back and got my crosshair on the largest one and shot it on the run, then turned to pick off what else i could before they dissappeared i managed a smaller sow and pigglet. The rest got to the grassy paddock and out of sight. The boar ended up 60kg live so 135 pounds in your terms i think correct me if im wrong?
The rifles a 1894SS Marlin with leupold mounts and leupold 2-7 VX1. Unfortuanly the rifle let me down a few times on the trip it has problems ejecting empty shells and jamming live rounds.

Attachments

• boar.JPG
    boar.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 460
Re: Nice boar

micko43 said:
Stalking along a dried up creek bed I came onto some action, where i found some pigs in the distance having a feed on a dead cow, so i slowly crept in and closed the distance unseen, getting closer I had to climb up out of the creek bed and pop up on the ferals. As i popped up the mob of about 5 took off in all directions. I quickly pulled the hammer back and got my crosshair on the largest one and shot it on the run, then turned to pick off what else i could before they dissappeared i managed a smaller sow and pigglet. The rest got to the grassy paddock and out of sight. The boar ended up 60kg live so 135 pounds in your terms i think correct me if im wrong?
The rifles a 1894SS Marlin with leupold mounts and leupold 2-7 VX1. Unfortuanly the rifle let me down a few times on the trip it has problems ejecting empty shells and jamming live rounds.

Nice pig & tale M8! Lol with the rifle. Did you stock the lot away or have a pig roast??

micko43 said:

Looks like a lot of fun! Except the part about your rifle, that kinda sucks...

micko43 said:

Very nice!

micko43 said:

That one's a keeper. Congrats!!

Back