• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hog Hunting

Re: Whating to know if this is good shell for hog hunting?

IVe got one more question for you all ive been looking on noslers website they have some of .308 e-tips on there that are instock and will be sent with in 48 hours of my order has anyone used are they as good as the accubonds they are lead free and from what i can tell on there site there pretty good rounds and wanted some input on them

texasfan85 said:
IVe got one more question for you all ive been looking on noslers website they have some of .308 e-tips on there that are instock and will be sent with in 48 hours of my order has anyone used are they as good as the accubonds they are lead free and from what i can tell on there site there pretty good rounds and wanted some input on them

Not familiar with the E tip bit if it’s some sort of ballistic tipped bullet then they are said not to penetrate as deeply. I have some Win ballistic silver tips in my 30-06 in 180gr for elk, haven’t used them on meat yet but people say they work fine. Reason is once ballistic tips get beyond 168 gr they thicken the jackets to let them drive deeper and act less like a grenade

oli700 said:
texasfan85 said:

Not familiar with the E tip bit if it’s some sort of ballistic tipped bullet then they are said not to penetrate as deeply. I have some Win ballistic silver tips in my 30-06 in 180gr for elk, haven’t used them on meat yet but people say they work fine. Reason is once ballistic tips get beyond 168 gr they thicken the jackets to let them drive deeper and act less like a grenade

they are ballistic tipped there solid copper no lead and they are 168gr i seen on there ballistic's chart for them at under 2000fps they only open at the tip which is why i wanted some input on them before i got them they are only $27 per box plus a $12 shipping fee they do have some of the accubond 165gr for $32 yet the 150gr accubonds are $38

texasfan85 said:
oli700 said:
texasfan85 said:

they are ballistic tipped there solid copper no lead and they are 168gr i seen on there ballistic's chart for them at under 2000fps they only open at the tip which is why i wanted some input on them before i got them they are only $27 per box plus a $12 shipping fee they do have some of the accubond 165gr for $32 yet the 150gr accubonds are $38

right on,try as many as you can .

texasfan85 said:
oli700 said:
texasfan85 said:

While I know that it's not an accubond bullet, I was happy with the performance of the SST Hornady's last whitetail season too.

Lots of dead piggy's accredited with the 120 gr Hornady 6.8 SPC SST. Just look around on 68forum and you'll see a bunch of bacon laying around.

John A. said:
While I know that it's not an accubond bullet, I was happy with the performance of the SST Hornady's last whitetail season too.

Lots of dead piggy's accredited with the 120 gr Hornady 6.8 SPC SST. Just look around on 68forum and you'll see a bunch of bacon laying around.

Yea i seen one box of the sst's but the guy working there said that they are a really hot load and in a bolt action gun that hasnt seen afew boxes of ammo through it it would make it really hard to open the bolt compared to other brands through the same gun.

texasfan85 said:
Yea i seen one box of the sst's but the guy working there said that they are a really hot load and in a bolt action gun that hasnt seen afew boxes of ammo through it it would make it really hard to open the bolt compared to other brands through the same gun.

that dudes full of shit

oli700 said:
that dudes full of shit

good to know i might head back up there tomorrow and pick up that box of sst's then cause he said hes had those on his selfs for weeks becuase he is so far out in the middle of nowwhere that nost people doesnt even know his shop is there you have to take a graval road cross an old washed out bridge and drive for bout mile with nothing but trees to keep you company.

selous said:
Here you can see a good wild boar taken with a spear from Cold Steel.High risk hunting ¡¡¡¡¡¡

http://youtu.be/HJwkGx2XZSU

Upon viewing this video, I'd like to quote MikeD, granted the quote comes from an earlier discussion, I feel that it relates to this kind of hunting.....

MikeD said:
Just because one can do something doesn't mean that one should. When it comes to hunting we owe it to the animal that it be dispatched in as quick and humane way as possible.
I like pushing myself and my equipment as much as anyone else, but not at the expense of another living creature.

Just my .02, take it as you will.

This is the post Mike was talking about....pretty much the same sort of thing...
SoCal Choppas said:
Jonny99 said:
Has anybody hunted hogs with the Tac .22?

If so , what ammo did the job? (If any!)

for me...I'd feel more comfortable to use a 12 gauge slug or 308 or bigger.

Pistol caliber 357 magnum or bigger. I hate to see an animal suffer

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVlrSVsAdpI[/youtube]

ripjack13 said:
SoCal Choppas said:
In the video, you can tell/hear the shooter was freaked out....this might be his last Hog hunt with his AR.

That's the reason us hunters get a bad rap. He obviously had never done that kind of hunt before. He had to ask " shoot it again?"

I hate to see to any animal in pain. No matter how much of a nusance it is or had been.

He obviously had never done that kind of hunt before. Yummy bacon or not... :cry:

It right what we were saying on humane kills and not letting animals suffer so its kinda right with what we were talking bout and it was hog hunting all so

texasfan85 said:

It would have to be way over pressure to be hard to work the bolt. At least in my experience.

I've got a wonderful Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that I think would be an ideal rifle for hogs. Never had the opportunity to hunt them, but I think the 45-70 would be a good round to use.

Scrolling through this topic is getting my hyped! I am supposed to be going on my first hog hunt this Spring. A lady in Kentucky was telling me that her farm is overrun with feral hogs and she is worried about them killing her cows. She wants someone to help get rid of them. I have been collecting guns that I will be able to use since last December. I'll plan on taking my Mossberg 500c with slugs, my WASR-10, a Mosin Nagant, and my new Winchester 94 .44 Magnum.

Chris C said:
I've got a wonderful Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that I think would be an ideal rifle for hogs. Never had the opportunity to hunt them, but I think the 45-70 would be a good round to use.

It's a great round. I have a few buddies with them.

Here,the 444 Marlin is becoming very popular between wild boar hunters in very dense areas in short and medium ranges.I think that the 45-70 has a better energy and also stopping power.

I have found in my computer two pictures of wild boar meat ,before and after of cooking it in the oven for one hour.It is from the T-bone area.The meat was about two days in a special mix made of:eek:live oil,red wine,onions,vegetables,carrots,some spices and salt.

[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/jselous/IMG_1187.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/jselous/IMG_1190.jpg[/img]

Nice. Looks good. I started to buy a .444 a long time ago but I was more into hot rods than guns at the time. Regretting it ever since

Back