• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hog Hunting

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
Just booked my first hog hunt - scheduled for early March next year in Oklahoma. The hunt is on a 1600 acre fenced ranch using blinds. The owner says most shots are in the 40-50 yard range. A couple of my buddies are thinking of taking their bows. I'm considering taking one of my WWI-era rifles. Maybe I should take the 930 with slugs. The owner says we can bring whatever we want to shoot with.

Anyone else done any hunting like this? Most of my experience is either upland game birds or longer shots for big game.

Thats awesome dude! I was gonna try and make my first hunt last year, until I was laid off... oh well, another time!

I bought the Mossberg 4x4 bolt action in 30-06 for hog hunting but I haven't gone out with it yet.

I have a Savage 30-06 but that seems like a bit much gun for this type of hunt. As I mentioned, most of the shots are in the 40-50 yard range. That's hardly scoped rifle range.

I'm trying to do as little damage to the meat as possible while avoiding chasing a wounded hog through the Oklahoma underbrush. :D

Options include ... 930 SPX shooting slugs, AR in .223/5.56, 303 British or 30-40 Kreg shooting soft points. All three of the rifles have iron sights. I also have an EOTech on my AR.

Which ever you choose, don't shoot for the shoulder. They're armored like tanks. Right behind the ear with the AR

I know of quite a few folks who use rifled slugs for hogs! I know some hard core types who hunt with spears and knives too.

Is your 590 cylinder bore? If it is stop at Wally World and grab a few boxes of Remington Sluggers (rifled slugs). They work great on hogs here in NW Arkansas and they're cheap. DRT (dead right there) performance on hogs 'as long as I do my part'.

Using my 500 with a red dot sight, the 500 will shoot 'all holes touching each other' groups at 50 yds. To me, this is amazing accuracy from a smooth bore shooting cheap slugs. The Sluggers are loaded pretty hot with a FPS of 1,750 so they will talk to you a bit (kicks damn hard), but Oh boy, do they get a hogs attention! At least for a milli second or two. The farthest shot I've made on a hog with this set up was about 85 yds. Medium to larger sized sow. I over compensated for the range and hit her a shade to high on the shoulder. She tried to run but immediately stumbled, sat there for a couple seconds and fell over dead.

For short range hoggin' I use the 500 w/Sluggers. For farther range hoggin I use my Saiga in 7.62x39 and if we're glassing large meadows I use my Mossberg 4x4 in 25.06 or my 4x4 in 300 WSM.

Hoggin' is just about the most fun a guy can have 'with his clothes on'!

Enjoy your hunt in the Nations.

I hope to go some time too! If/when I go it will be my 590A1 and a sidearm.

You might look into Dixie Slugs Tri-ball ammo for your 930.

"What is Tri-Ball 3"?
Tri-Ball 3" is a development at Dixie Slugs for 12 ga. 3" Magnum! It has 3-.600" hard alloy cast round balls/buckshot, gives a velocity of 1050+/-'/". It is classed a buckshot, albeit very large buckshot. The three balls/buckshot will pattern 3 1/2" (center to center) at 25 yards and still be well within the kill zone at 40 yards or beyond, depending on the choke. There is no load like it anywhere! It is designed for smoothbore barrels with choke diameters from .685"/ .690" (avg. Full Choke) and under, however it will work well in the Trulock .660"/Remington Turkey (.665") choke tubes. It has been reported that a .675"choke seems to be ideal. These choke tubes will produce an average of 6" pattern (or less) with the three balls at 40 yards. It is legal in buckshot only areas." http://dixieslugs.com/home.html

%2000B%20II%20resized.jpg

They also have a 3.5" version of that too. If you have a rifled slug barrel they make some very interesting slugs. There stuff seems to bring the versatility of the shotgun up a level, think dangerous game.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with Dixie Slugs. I just really like there products.

i went once...it was great...i got two of em ..but they were a little tough getting em on my truck...

Q07ZL.jpg

Rip, somethin not right about that man. :shock:

Mud, looks great, And delicious!!! Nice work!

So where did you go here in OK?
A good looking pig there. Details, weight, etc. What did you use to take it?

I have dropped a few real small ones but hope to get in on some bigger ones this year. The spring has been out due to a broke foot and chipped ankle, not to mention the crutches. A friend of the family has an in on some property that has had a couple 400 pounders taken off it. As soon as Bill gets his European mount back I will get some pics of the monster.

sumoj275 said:
So where did you go here in OK?
A good looking pig there. Details, weight, etc. What did you use to take it?

I have dropped a few real small ones but hope to get in on some bigger ones this year. The spring has been out due to a broke foot and chipped ankle, not to mention the crutches. A friend of the family has an in on some property that has had a couple 400 pounders taken off it. As soon as Bill gets his European mount back I will get some pics of the monster.

I went to Bow Safari near Coalgate. The hog produced 55 lbs of meat. I didn't weigh it before it was dressed and quartered but I would have guessed her at about 175 lbs. I shot it with my AR using .223 62 grain soft-nose. It dropped like a rock and twitched for a bit after a single shot right behind the skull. So much for .223 not being big enough to take a hog. :lol:

This is the only hunting ive done. On a friends property. But we started just trapping them. That way we could put them in the pin and feed then for a while. Get that gammie taste out.

Before, when we just shot them. We would have to soak them in ice amd vinegar for a day or two just to be edible.

Back