• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hog Hunting

Re: Nice boar

micko43 said:
Stalking along a dried up creek bed I came onto some action, where i found some pigs in the distance having a feed on a dead cow, so i slowly crept in and closed the distance unseen, getting closer I had to climb up out of the creek bed and pop up on the ferals. As i popped up the mob of about 5 took off in all directions. I quickly pulled the hammer back and got my crosshair on the largest one and shot it on the run, then turned to pick off what else i could before they dissappeared i managed a smaller sow and pigglet. The rest got to the grassy paddock and out of sight. The boar ended up 60kg live so 135 pounds in your terms i think correct me if im wrong?
The rifles a 1894SS Marlin with leupold mounts and leupold 2-7 VX1. Unfortuanly the rifle let me down a few times on the trip it has problems ejecting empty shells and jamming live rounds.

Good hunt! You are right on the conversion. 60kg = 132.277lbs

micko43 said:
Stalking along a dried up creek bed I came onto some action, where i found some pigs in the distance having a feed on a dead cow, so i slowly crept in and closed the distance unseen, getting closer I had to climb up out of the creek bed and pop up on the ferals. As i popped up the mob of about 5 took off in all directions. I quickly pulled the hammer back and got my crosshair on the largest one and shot it on the run, then turned to pick off what else i could before they dissappeared i managed a smaller sow and pigglet. The rest got to the grassy paddock and out of sight. The boar ended up 60kg live so 135 pounds in your terms i think correct me if im wrong?
The rifles a 1894SS Marlin with leupold mounts and leupold 2-7 VX1. Unfortuanly the rifle let me down a few times on the trip it has problems ejecting empty shells and jamming live rounds.

Plenty of bacon for the freezer!

micko43 said:

here piggy, piggy, come to big poppa boom. mmmm...bacon.

micko43 said:

Mmmm, baaaaaaaaaaconnnnnnn!!!

micko43 said:

Congrats on your kill !!

That is a good size boar...

micko43 said:

Did you ask the guys over at Marlinsowners.com about the FTE issue? There are some real wizards there that have helped me a lot.

I do a hog hunt every Feb/Mar in northern Florida and enjoy it a lot. I use A Marlin 336 levergun in 30-30 or in 35 Rem. This year I may try my MMR and use 75 grain Hornady .223 . As the guys said the best shot is right in the ear or aft of there a few inches; they will drop in their tracks. A hogs boiler room is all the way down and forward in their torso; a quartering away shot in this area might work but an ear shot will definitely work. As has been said don't even try a shoulder shot; that area has been know to stop a 30-30 round. The best way I have found to take a hog is when they hit the feeder is to pick what you like very quickly and stay on it until it gives you the shot. They move around fast and would be like trying step on a mouse. Good luck and have fun and enjoy the meat. I grind mine and make into patties; really good grilled to well done on a George Foreman with some sauerkraut and mustard.

I went last October to NE Texas. Bagged a 275 lb boar with one shot from my Savage Axis Combo in 308 at about 35- 40 yards. Was in thick brush as the dogs had cornered him while he was resting in the shade. By the time we got to him he'd already cut up one dog & the rest were about 5-7 yards away barking at him. The dog that was cut up had 28 staples in him once he was patched up. I would like to go again & try taking one with my 590

I have a little question.Is there any difference between a "hog" and a "boar"?Here ,the translation in english for spanish word"jabali" is "wild boar".

they are all hogs or pigs, males are boars and females are sows....at least in my part of the country.

To have an idea of the type of terrain we hunt wild boar with dogs this video is very representative.Very close shoots and little time for shooting makes very useful a shotgun.
In this video,Remington 7600 pump action rifle in .35 Whelen.

http://youtu.be/9fXQeVqbVCo

He uses hunting knife to finally kill the animal.

Whating to know if this is good shell for hog hunting?

I just picked up a box of nosler troghy grade accubond 150gr for .308 was wondering if they were good for hog hunting ive never shot any noslers before but since these where all i could find figured i would grab them the where $36.99 +tax but the guy at the hometown gun shop i got them from said since they where so high i could have them for $37 even not sure if this was good price but all i can find with in 50 miles so i bought them any input would be great.

Re: Whating to know if this is good shell for hog hunting?

texasfan85 said:
I just picked up a box of nosler troghy grade accubond 150gr for .308 was wondering if they were good for hog hunting ive never shot any noslers before but since these where all i could find figured i would grab them the where $36.99 +tax but the guy at the hometown gun shop i got them from said since they where so high i could have them for $37 even not sure if this was good price but all i can find with in 50 miles so i bought them any input would be great.

Accubonds are top shelf, in 150 .308 they are going to straight up thump on pigs.....And I commend you for not going into it under gunned. So many play around with small calibers with "pest" animals, they deserve to die clean just as much as anything else does. People who don’t care if an animal suffers , suck

oli700 said:
I commend you for not going into it under gunned....

Certainly truer words have never been spoken! :D
150grn was a great bullet for me and Nosler won't leave you asking for more!

oli700 said:
texasfan85 said:

Accubonds are top shelf, in 150 .308 they are going to straight up thump on pigs.....And I commend you for not going into it under gunned. So many play around with small calibers with "pest" animals, they deserve to die clean just as much as anything else does. People who don’t care if an animal suffers , suck

Thanks for the input and i agree with what you said oli every animal deserves to die quick and as painless as possible let say i go in with a .223 and it takes 2 or 3 shots to kill one then its just going to suffer and i cant stand to see anything suffer even if it is destroying my friends farm so when he called and said he had lost some of his crops last year to the pack of hogs my first thought at that time was ill take my 30-06 and make it as quick as possible but seen as how i traded it last week for this .308 i figured it would do just as good of a job and making it quick and painless as possible.

texasfan85 said:
oli700 said:
texasfan85 said:

Thanks for the input and i agree with what you said oli every animal deserves to die quick and as painless as possible let say i go in with a .223 and it takes 2 or 3 shots to kill one then its just going to suffer and i cant stand to see anything suffer even if it is destroying my friends farm so when he called and said he had lost some of his crops last year to the pack of hogs my first thought at that time was ill take my 30-06 and make it as quick as possible but seen as how i traded it last week for this .308 i figured it would do just as good of a job and making it quick and painless as possible.

Yeah, we try the best we can, sometimes it doesn’t work out the way we want , even with our 30 caliber high power rifles.
A 223 will do it clean but it’s got to be precision in the bread basket every time, I'll never forget the first black tail that I saw shot with a 223 55 gr soft point, my dad actually got him about 30 yards, couldn’t have been cleaner through the heart with an exit wound about the size of a small fist...it struck me as devastating at 8 or so years old lol ….but inside 40-50 yards 223 is in its wheel house, especially nasty IMO

Re: Wanting to know if this is good shell for hog hunting?

oli700 said:
Yeah, we try the best we can, sometimes it doesn’t work out the way we want , even with our 30 caliber high power rifles.
A 223 will do it clean but it’s got to be precision in the bread basket every time, I'll never forget the first black tail that I saw shot with a 223 55 gr soft point, my dad actually got him about 30 yards, couldn’t have been cleaner through the heart with an exit wound about the size of a small fist...it struck me as devastating at 8 or so years old lol ….but inside 40-50 yards 223 is in its wheel house, especially nasty IMO

Yea true good point oli I've seen a few whitetails take with .223's that didn't move out of there tracks.

Back