• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Holographic/Red Dot Sight Magnification

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Magnifiers for Holographic/Red Dot Sights? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

I personally like Eotech's for quick acquisition. And the small center dot helps with precision.

My eye doesn't pick up as well with the Aimpoint and why I am not a fan of them.

I also like the Bushnell Trophy 4 reticle. It has been bullet proof and the 30mm housing also accepts the aimpoint mounts for co-witnessing and such.

I don't have any magnifiers. The ones with the dots aren't set up for long/intermediate range.

I have several scoped guns for that.

I use a Sightmark magnifier and flip-to-side mount behind an EOTech 512 on my SCAR 16s. The set-up allows for an easy transition to a co-witness with the SCAR's iron sights.

The magnification allows me to reach out a bit further than my bad eyes are capable of. It REALLY cleans up the outer ring on the EOTech as well.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I use a Sightmark magnifier and flip-to-side mount behind an EOTech 512 on my SCAR 16s. The set-up allows for an easy transition to a co-witness with the SCAR's iron sights.

The magnification allows me to reach out a bit further than my bad eyes are capable of. It REALLY cleans up the outer ring on the EOTech as well.

Thank you for posting this...I've been wanting to find out how this would look/work! And, so how's this set up working for you?

I'm waiting for the mail to come today cause I've bought a sightmark to put behind my EOTech 512 too.

As I said in a previous post I have been waiting today for the sightmark 3x magnifier to get here, and here it is...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsnD0wo9XJE[/youtube]

Like I have nothing better to do, the kids had a snow day, I got my work done, and it's snowing outside...when it's done snowing I'll field test this magnifier.

Good deal!

Glad to see you're happy with it so far and I'm looking forward to your follow-up. It's crazy how clean the reticle gets isn't it? I'm still running this set-up on the SCAR and it's been great. After using the SightMark there's no way I'd drop $500 on an EOTech magnifier...

Took me a long while to decide on a magnifier. I finally bought one of the TMS versions that have windage/elevation adjustments in case the magnifier/mount doesn't line up exactly with the Bushnell that I am using.

The bushnell is in a cantilever aimpoint mount and thus the reason why I bought the 42mm height mount instead of the 36mm height over bore because I THINK that is the one I need. I'm pretty certain that the mount that comes with the magnifier isn't spring loaded and I will likely buy a different mount down the road anyway, but this should get me going I believe. (no pics--still waiting on USPS to learn which state I am in).

I ran a magnifier for a while, it was cool but I got tired of it

its good to get a magnifier with the adjustments to center because they almost never line up perfect......but you never notice

Decided it was so much like a scope I went with a 1x6 to streamline the rifle.

It did lose some weight and it cleaned up the gun a lot but I missed the red dot.....the 1x scope is very close to a red dot but not the same .
The scope works way way better at any distance but throwing it up and treating it like a red dot at closer ranges is not near as nice as an actual red dot

......so its either a scope that acts like a red dot or a red dot that acts like a scope but they both kinda suck at each others job

^ I've learned that lessons many times over.

Apparently not well enough though because I always try to squeeze a little more out of my stuff.

But having never had a flip to the side mounted magnifier, at least seems like a fair way to go for what I need the gun for. Especially in knowing 150 yards is maxed out altogether and I'm shooting more up close than I am farther away, I just wanted a little something to help see mo' better for those few times when I do.

I'm thinking that I want it to flip to the right side though so it's not in my way and not in my line of sight when I'm not using it. If I can position it so the brass isn't banging into it.

it wont be in your line of sight at all, but its strange having all that hanging off the side of the gun......depends on what your doing , you probably wont mind it

just make sure your mount flips to the right if your right eye dominant

and I dont know what mount you want, I had the Burris with the push button.....it was ok but wish i went with the ADM . No button involved and the Burris ended up loose as a goose sloppy

this is the only pic I can find of it

Last edited:
So.... how bout just get a 2.5 power red dot, and split the difference?
because anything with magnification will have eye relief and eye box and be impossible to operate on the red dot theory of unlimited , parallax free, huge eye box , two eye heads up shooting , run and gun or just acquiring static targets very fast
Unless you pay 1500+ even 1x scopes have an ever so slight magnification on 1x and you can only kinda run them like a red dot .....still having to be mindful of eye relief.
Also not very easy throwing the rifle on its side and making quick hits with magnification

Got the magnifier today and will give you guys a heads up.

The 42mm magnifier mount was way too high for the standard setup I have. Perhaps it would work better with something like the TRS25 bushnell or something that sits up ridiculously high, but it sure doesn't work with an Eo or Aimpoint. And the 3x magnification still shows the blur of the front sight post too. The 4x would probably "ignore" it.

I ordered a shorter spring loaded flip to side mount, but for the meantime, am going to use a fixed 30mm mount that does align with the optic.

Back