• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Homeowner Kills Armed Intruder with AR-15

Seems like a very clear cut case of self preservation. Wonder why the national media doesn't bother to mention this one? Thank you for posting it. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I'm satisfied with the results. Too bad one got away. Would have been nice to have seen him at least apprehended.

Martin was convicted of six felony drug counts last November and received a seven-year probated sentence, police said.

Guess no 3 strikes rule in Tenn.?

Glad the homeowner was a gun enthusiast! Sounds like the world will be a better place without Mr. Martin!

Doesn't sound like they have much on BG #2 - too bad but I doubt he's coming back. I certainly hope that this does not thrust Mr. Moffit into the spotlight. He's the victim of a crime and deserves his peace. His life has been changed by these idiots and one is still out there. I imagine that I'd be on my guard 24 / 7 for some time from something like this.

He's very lucky, I don't think I would have opened the door that soon.

Glad it turned out well.

I know this was an apartment complex but this type of event is why I've been looking into some type of home surveillance system

I've got a cheap camera bolted to the overhang above the porch with a line into my AV system. When there's an unexpected knock on the door, change the channel on the TV and anyone standing within ten feet of my door is on the screen.

toyracer38 said:
Guess no 3 strikes rule in Tenn.?

A Three Strikes Law was put into effect here in 1994 resulting in mandatory life in prison with no parole eligibility, but only certain "violent felony" offenses are counted as a "strike". Certain circumstances only require Two Strikes, but I'd need a team of lawyers to figure out what applies. Here's the list of strike worthy offenses...

- Murder
- Especially aggravated kidnapping
- Especially aggravated robbery
- Aggravated rape
- Rape of a child
- Aggravated sexual battery
- Aggravated arson

Since 1994, there are only 14 persons serving mandatory life sentences as a result of the three strikes law. Drug convictions are not considered a strike and there is a record of a man in Memphis who racked up a staggering 449 drug related convictions before his chosen profession as a freelance pharmacist claimed his life.

Curious why this was necessary for the story.

Moffitt, who is a firearms enthusiast

I hate how people try to write these stories.

I really do.

I bet you a nickel if he was a cigar enthusiast, it wouldn't be mentioned.

Oh wait, nothing else was mentioned. :evil:

The man was at his flippin' house. What business is it to the media what the man likes or dislikes. His house was broken into. He protected his self, his girlfriend, maybe kids, his apartment. That's all the media needs to say.

Now he's going to be targeted for more thefts because people think he's going to have a horde of weapons and ammo laying about.

Bad journalists or reporters !!!!

Journalists, reporters, editors, whole organizations and the likes should be accountable for what they write or say. Freedom of speech is one thing, but to put someone else in danger the way they have in this situation, is uncalled for and over the top as far as I am concerned.

If anything, his liberty and pursuit of happiness has been infringed.

mingaa said:
Doesn't sound like they have much on BG #2 - too bad but I doubt he's coming back.

I bet he lives in the same neighborhood. Maybe even in the same apt complex. Just watching and waiting.

I found this particular line disturbing as well...

...detectives theorize that Martin may have come to the apartment as part of a plot to rob Moffitt of his firearms.

Was it necessary to point out that there is more than one firearm in the home, again making him a potential target?

I agree. The press is just setting this guy up for another break-in. Doubt another home invasion, due to the outcome of this one, but nobody said criminals are smart!

I think the theory that they were trying to rob him of his guns seems a little silly. I know if I was going to rob someone, I would hope it wasn't a gun enthusiast.

Back