• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

hornady 62 grn barrier penetrating for hunting?

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
its cheaper than the winchester Super X PSP, which is also basically the same thing as the Winchester Ranger (non bonded) that ive sighted in with. content with the way it shoots. its a pointed soft point bullet. is there any reason this wouldnt be a perfectly viable option for predator hunting? in my opinion its just hunting ammo packaged all tactical fancy like.

I've never understood how a soft point can be barrier penetrating.....never really looked into it but it just seems like it shouldn't be a good choice . All the SP I've ever shot weren't great at blowing through stuff.

@nitesite. The 83285. And Oli. I agree. I have no intention to use it for barrier penetrating purposes. But think it would make a good hunting round.

83285 would make a perfectly fine hunting bullet for game larger than coyotes, such as pig and white tail deer if the aim and hit is optimum. For smaller game (<45-pounds) I would opt for ballistic tip stuff.

I've been looking at the Barnes 62gr TSX round for deer. I hear good results

i was just surprised that it was cheaper than the winchester hunting round. which is what made it catch my eye. if its basically the same thing only cheaper, its kind of a no brainer. basically what i was asking is if there was something i was missing that made it different. and why it was labeled "tactical" and "barrier penetrating"

Back