• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hornady Zombie Max?

I swear if this isn’t just a play on Halloween I am going to sell all my guns....aside from my shotgun, I need that incase I see Bigfoot

oli700 said:
I swear if this isn’t just a play on Halloween I am going to sell all my guns....aside from my shotgun, I need that incase I see Bigfoot

I find this humorous!!! :lol: You have to worry about the vamps up there too, but Zombies? That rediculous!

Anyhow Blue... Excellent find!!! If its real, I'm buyin a bunch just because one day it will be fun to look back on them and remember all the zombie hype! :D

Oli, lets split a case! But I want .45 and 12 ga. K?

From the pic the bullets look like XTPs with a polymer insert to keep the Hollow Points from getting clogged with clothing, leathery desiccated flesh, etc :mrgreen:

Just found the full vid!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQWb-5nblx4[/youtube]

Rossignol said:
oli700 said:

I find this humorous!!! :lol: You have to worry about the vamps up there too, but Zombies? That rediculous!

Anyhow Blue... Excellent find!!! If its real, I'm buyin a bunch just because one day it will be fun to look back on them and remember all the zombie hype! :D

Oli, lets split a case! But I want .45 and 12 ga. K?

K

Dude we would slaughter those zombies....shoulder to shoulder, shotguns blazing...lets start with slugs

OLI wrote: "Dude we would slaughter those zombies....shoulder to shoulder, shotguns blazing...lets start with slugs"
=======================================

Been wondering how those slugs you made did on the range Oli....!!

Time to "ressurect" that thread...
zombie-1.gif

I checked with my LGS today on a few things, the Guard Dog ammo too... The stuff is available, but it has to be ordered. They didnt readily know about it.

The "Zombie" thing is gimmicky, trendy, and nothin but marketing at best. I'm gonna buy a metric butt load of it! :D

SHOOTER13 said:
OLI wrote: "Dude we would slaughter those zombies....shoulder to shoulder, shotguns blazing...lets start with slugs"
=======================================

Been wondering how those slugs you made did on the range Oli....!!

Time to "ressurect" that thread...
zombie-1.gif

Some results at the end of this post. viewtopic.php?f=103&t=2154 I LOVE them....I have a thing for slugs...its kind of like having a little artillary.

Oli, sorry dude, no slugs...

Hornady Zombie Max Ammunition
zombiemax-beauty.jpg

Hornady;
Zombie Max ammunition is available in:

•9MM LUGER 115 GR Z-MAX, Item #90262, 25-count box
•40 S&W 165 GR Z-MAX, Item #91342, 20-count box
•45 AUTO 185 GR Z-MAX, Item #90902, 20-count box
•223 REM 55 GR Z-MAX, Item #83271, 20-count box
•7.62X39 123 GR Z-MAX, Item #80782, 20-count box
•308 WIN 168 GR Z-MAX, Item #80962, 20-count box
•12 GA 00 Z-SHOT, Item #86247, 10-count box

Put the dead to rest for good - visit a major sporting goods retailer near you to outfit yourself with Zombie Max ammunition.

But please note, Hornady Zombie Max ammunition is not a toy. It is intended only to be used on zombies, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Zombie Max ammunition.

Again, we repeat, Zombie Max ammunition is for use on zombies only - that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say zombies, we mean zombies.

There is almost no info on the site with regard to specifics.

The .45 ACP is a 185 gr bullet with a 900 fps muzzle velocity. The bullet looks like the XTP but has a lower velocity...

The 12 ga. is called "Z-Max" shot and is 00 buck. There is no info on shot wad or muzzle velocity. Nothing to indicate which load if any it is based on.

I cant tell that any of these are repackaged and remarketed loads. It almost appears as if these truly are new loads. Theyre not especially more expensive than anything else.

I fully expected these to be repackaged for the sake of the Zombie trend, which it seems has seen new life in the recent past. The show, The Walking Dead begins again tomorrow night, Sunday on AMC at 9:00 pm eastern. A movie is being made based on the book "World War Z".

Gimmicky it may be, repackaged existing ammo being marketed differently? It doesnt seem so...

In all seriousness do you think Hornady is going to put serious research and money into a new ammo design ...for a nonexistent target? A little cash toward a cool commercial, new box graphics and get a little profit from the believers and the novelty seekers.

oli700 said:
In all seriousness do you think Hornady is going to put serious research and money into a new ammo design ...for a nonexistent target? A little cash toward a cool commercial, new box graphics and get a little profit from the believers and the novelty seekers.

No, I agree. I just havent been able to find the load these are based on, which is weird.

I'm still diggin through google to find what theyre based on...

AHA! I'm on to something!

I found an article which describes the pistol and rifle loads as having a green polymer tip! This would put the handgun ammunition in the "Critical Defense" catagory and the rifle ammunition is a little more vague as there are several bullets with polymer tips, but I'm gonna say from what I can find, it is most like the TAP FPD. The article says the shotgun loads are conventional 00 buck.

The trouble I was having was that at least with the pistol ammo, the muzzle velocities are different. Why, I have no clue. There is a ton of rifle ammo, but once I had the article to go by I was able to narrow down my search through the Hornady site and focus.

Buckshot? Still a little fuzzy there. There is Critical defense 00 with the VersaTite wad, but no way to compare the two.

I cant find ballistics anywhere else on the interwebs and plan to call Hornady just as soon as i'm able.

Rossignol said:
There is almost no info on the site with regard to specifics.

The .45 ACP is a 185 gr bullet with a 900 fps muzzle velocity. The bullet looks like the XTP but has a lower velocity....

Look closely at the pics. It seems to look like a critical defense with "zombie green" flex tip insert... Should be a "killer", pun intended, round if that's what it is. Also it seems to be a couple bucks cheaper than critical and only 30 FPS lower. 10% savings is 10% savings. Of course if you shot a mofo with one, you might have 'splainin' to do in the civil suit...

Yep Blue! I think its the Critical Defense too after some more checkin!

I agree, sounds like a good load. I plan to get some, as well as the Critical defense and some other stuff. Have to get my LGS to get some in!

blue said:
Of course if you shot a mofo with one, you might have 'splainin' to do in the civil suit...

I’d go insanity, “I seriously thought my wife turned into a zombie….just like on the game” I said. “this guy on a renowned website Mossberg something said they were real and I should stock up on this Hornady zombie ammo…and so we split what he called a metric butt load...he makes dog collars too"

I found more stuff on Guns & Ammo's site!

Guns & Ammo Exclusive; An Inside Look at Hornady's Zombie Max Ammo

Its a Q&A without real specifics but at least some telling insights. Oli, I apologize in advance, the rep from Hornady says werewolves and vampires are fictional. He didnt say anything about bigfoot or bigfoot hybrids.

Ben O’Brien: Who do you expect will be the core buyer for Zombie Max?

Steve Hornady: Well, anyone and everyone who’s worried they won’t be adequately prepared when it happens in their neighborhood.

BO: How did this awesome idea come about?

SH: I’ve seen several of the documentaries and read the history books (e.g Dawn of the Dead, World War Z etc.), which is when I learned of this threat and realized we weren’t really prepared. I felt we had a civic duty to our customers, our nation, nay simply the living, to offer the most effective ammunition we could develop.

BO: Any suggestions for zombie hunters out there as to how the ammo is most effectively used to kill the walking dead?

SH: Well, head shots or brain stem are the only effective shots on Zed so we focused on rapid fire quick recovery rounds. There was considerable debate about the shotgun round since, in my opinion, accurate shot placement is important. If Zed is close enough to reliably hit the brain with a shotgun then your situation may be dire indeed, and shotgun ammo is heavy, so you simply cannot carry as much as you will need. However, ultimately, I was convinced that for many shooters this may be their only rapid response firearm, at least initially.

BO: Describe the “testing” process for Z-MAX and how it came to be dubbed “proven.”

SH: Well, first we used our historical expertise in designing bullets after analyzing just what would be the objective. Field testing has proven we were right. After all you can’t find any walking dead now can you?

BO: What are the effective zombie-killing ranges for the handgun offerings? How about the .223 and .308?

SH: For the handgun rounds as well as the rifle rounds we wanted a fairly lightweight, high velocity round. After all, speed kills and in the case of Zombies, you can’t always assume there will always be enough decayed flesh or bone to reliably expand a heavier or slower bullet. That said, I personally recommend taking the shot at the maximum distance you can reliably place the shot where it is known to be effective. Rifles definitely offer a significant advantage here, and I strongly advocate noise suppressors as it is well known Zed is attracted to noise, and if it starts to moan it will only attract more. Be prepared, be very prepared. Have a lot of ammo and have an exit plan. As you can see from some of the documentary films, many living were, mmm, converted because they weren’t ready and couldn’t get out before the horde became insurmountable.

BO: Will there be any future enhancements of the line, say Werewolf, alien or vampire skews?
SH: C’mon Ben, everyone knows those are fictional characters.

I highlighted the stuff I think provides insight to the loads used. At least in the case of the .45 ACP, it looks like the Critical Defense at a slightly lower velocity, 900 fps. The .308 I compared was the TAP FPD. Velocities are the same. The buckshot, still looking but the rep from Hornady mentions "rapid fire quick recovery rounds" which I feel points to or supports the Crtical Defense with VersaTite.

Still researching... just cuz I love ammunition!!!

Back