• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How’s the Water?

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
Here in the Sierra Nevada, it is very low, and we are in our third consecutive year of drought. And we had not really recovered from the previous drought either.
EF5D069D-F6A8-418D-B429-C7449566149B.jpeg
You can see in this photo of Pine flat reservoir (because of the camera) it looks like the marina is 5 miles away, and we have the worlds longest boat ramp. Well it is not, but it is a long boat ramp and our water is only at about 28% of normal capacity.

Getting ready to launch at the top.
6D6BE9AF-92B1-4CC5-BB5E-4A6A1725DDFC.jpeg
Here I am stopped on the ramp, at the entrance kiosk, and it is in the trees, just above the highwater mark.

This is the main reservoir on the Kings River, which comes out of the Kings Canyon (which I recall is the steepest in America.)

96420B9B-97AC-413D-A464-A2651BC53C3F.jpeg
You can see the narrow lower and wide upper boat ramps. The upper boat ramps are completely useless now, and end in a small road which goes down to parking for the clubhouse & the marina.

The view of Deer Creek marina & ramps from quite a ways out. This is one of 4 public ramps.
F5875902-FAE6-454E-9034-14AB27F12707.jpeg
The lower boat ramp ends in the water for now, and as it is actually raining tonight, I suspect it will continue to do so.

Our lake is at normal elevation right now. This is looking over our Marina (Harbor View) to the south down Duck Creek. The main lake is about a mile and a half south of us. This was taken Sunday morning before the wind picked up. A couple of hours later the lake had whitecaps.

image.jpeg

Our lake is at normal elevation right now. This is looking over our Marina (Harbor View) to the south down Duck Creek. The main lake is about a mile and a half south of us. This was taken Sunday morning before the wind picked up. A couple of hours later the lake had whitecaps.

View attachment 25049

I`m about due for run that direction...Spavinaw Creek, Eucha, Grand, Pistol Pat`s for a cheeseburger and stop off in Wyandotte for a visit...:thumbsup:

None of the marinas here have covered slips. That's pretty nice.

BTW, I finally finished up the boat wiring tonight. I had some issues with the varnish I used on the instrument panel, and I may do it over, but for now it will float, motor, and not leak. Too late for pix though.

I'd be hitting the water tomorrow, but it's my daughter's birthday and we have plans.

Well my daughter canceled her plans to come here because her daughter was feeling ill.

I wasn’t feeling too good either so I didn’t go fishing.

So the new instrument panel is much simpler. I removed the switches for the 36 V motor, relying on the switch within the motor itself, and I removed the cigarette lighter and the panel-mount fuse holder.

I switched it over from Buss fuses to ATC fuses, Under the panel. In the 25 years I owned this boat, The only time I ever blew a fuse was from that cigarette lighter.

BE98F5C3-1A67-4253-8521-F2948D827FFA.jpeg
I re-oriented and repositioned the panel So my motor would stow when fully retracted, and not hit the Humminbird. This was a big deal, and one of the reasons I rebuilt the whole control box and panel.
253F8F3A-0563-432E-A624-8DE6B51314EA.jpeg
I didn’t like the varnish that I was using and it came out with a huge amount of orange peel.
CC1F43C2-19AF-4A5A-87C2-B7CB5A4A20F2.jpeg
I have lights for this boat and will eventually add more switches to the panel and a proper 36 V voltmeter, if I can find one. At that point I will probably make a completely different top panel. This is a real quickie job made from a couple bits of mahogany drawer bottom that I laminated together. All the wood came from our old kitchen.

I added a separate battery and a completely separate circuit just for the fishfinder, as I was having a lot of interference from the motor at certain speeds.

Anyhow, the 25 year saga of my project boat continues…

A friend of mine went fishing in Alaska. She is in the red jacket. 29 tons that haul. They are standing amidst what would not fit in the hold. She was up north for 4 or 5 months. She just celebrated her 56 th birthday.

image.jpeg

She is now looking to purchase a couple of firearms. She has a revolver chambered in .357 mag. I am steering her towards a mossy 12 ga.

Back