• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How do I remove finish from checkering on stock & forend?

I have a shotgun stock and forend I want to refinish. What should I use to remove the finish from the checkered area and the rest of the stock and forend for that matter?

Re: How do I remove finish from checkering on stock & forend

I have heard of others using Cirtistrip and a tooth brush.

There are many furniture strippers on the market. All of them are just plain awful to work with,
and just plain dangerous if you get it on skin or eyes. Getting checkering clean takes forever.
Personally, any gun I refinish, I have found it easier to spend a few dollars and have a furniture refinishing place just strip it for me! They do it in about an hour and it is a little pricey- but I don't have a mess to clean up or dangerous crap to store. It is ready for light sanding and stain/finishing.
Methylene chloride is nothing to play with and all "good" strippers contain it.

On the same topic but not this Mossy one, if you have *cut checkering* on a gun's furniture, you always want to use a matching checkering cutter to recut the checkering to remove the old finish. Chemical strippers, which are exactly what you *do* use for pressed checkering as in this thread, will soak the cut checkered points on the wood and cause them to soften and break off. You can really destroy some fine checkering fast by using chemical strippers on cut checkering. Mossy pressed checkering, and all the other manufacturers as well, you use chemical strippers as everyone said.

Be safe.

rich

Back