• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How long did you wait for a 590 Shockwave?

Flaman

.22LR
For weeks, I visited Budsguns.com and drooled over the new 590 Shockwave. Well... I finally pulled the trigger (no pun intended) a few days ago and entered my credit card info to get put on Bud's waiting list

For those of you who've purchased one: Where did you buy it from, and... how long did you have to wait for one?

Since these are built on a standard 590 receiver (drilled & tapped), I plan on mounting a picitiny rail on the receiver, then some sort of light/laser combo on the rail. Do you all have any economical recommendations?

Florida Gun Exchange had this ad about a month or less ago. I couldn't tell you about availability--you'd have to call.

Welcome Aboard! I'm off I-4 in-between Orlando and Daytona...

flgunxsw.JPG

For weeks, I visited Budsguns.com and drooled over the new 590 Shockwave. Well... I finally pulled the trigger (no pun intended) a few days ago and entered my credit card info to get put on Bud's waiting list

For those of you who've purchased one: Where did you buy it from, and... how long did you have to wait for one?

Since these are built on a standard 590 receiver (drilled & tapped), I plan on mounting a picitiny rail on the receiver, then some sort of light/laser combo on the rail. Do you all have any economical recommendations?
My recommendation is to leave it as is. This mossy is made for up close work and/or intimidation. Put it in the glove compartment or hide it under your pillow type of thing. This baby is made for firing from the waist or one handed if need be. Any external junk would be a waist of money. A light may be justifiable if you plan on using it for home defense. Mount it upfront. GG&G have some good light mounts that are quality and not too expensive.

Thanks Bobster & Jmm14534- appreciate your input!

Jmm14534, my "left brain" agrees with you, but my dang right brain has other ideas :)

Thanks Bobster & Jmm14534- appreciate your input!

Jmm14534, my "left brain" agrees with you, but my dang right brain has other ideas :)
No problem man! It's a personal preference thing at the end of the day. A couple of other simple upgrades are an aftermarket safety and possibly a single point sling on with a quick connect OD swivel.
When you are done post some pics!!!

I am on the same waiting list as of March 27th, almost two weeks ago. Too bad there's no way to know how long that list is and where we are on it. I'll be sure to post up here whenever I get an update.

I am on the same waiting list as of March 27th, almost two weeks ago. Too bad there's no way to know how long that list is and where we are on it. I'll be sure to post up here whenever I get an update.

I emailed Buds to ask what the average wait time had been for the shockwave, but I didn't get a response. Good luck Kadelic; I hope you get yours soon and look forward to seeing picks.

I emailed Buds to ask what the average wait time had been for the shockwave, but I didn't get a response. Good luck Kadelic; I hope you get yours soon and look forward to seeing picks.

Thanks Flaman. Their website clearly states they won't be able to answer questions regarding wait times, I doubt you'll get a response. I've been tempted to ask myself but am trying to be patient, lol.

I was surprised and disappointed today to learn that even tho the ATF considers it a legal firearm, the State of Texas does not.

Actually, there appears to be a lot of confusion and discussion over whether it is legal, or if it falls into the prohibited weapon category under Texas law. At least on the Texas Gun Talk forum. One member talked to a Texas Law Shield attorney who said it is absolutely illegal in the State of Texas. Another member, who is a lawyer, says that in his opinion, it's legal, but it's something that will probably end in arrest, and more than likely end in conviction.

So basically, it might be legal, but that won't stop the DA from prosecuting, and more than likely convincing a jury that the Shockwave is indeed a prohibited weapon.

I was surprised and disappointed today to learn that even tho the ATF considers it a legal firearm, the State of Texas does not.

I live in Texas and am in line for one at Buds. If I cancel my order I'll have to pay a 10% fee if I do so before 90 days. Hopefully there will be some clarification or it will take more than 90 days, I'd hate to take possession of this item and become a felon!

I live in Texas and am in line for one at Buds. If I cancel my order I'll have to pay a 10% fee if I do so before 90 days. Hopefully there will be some clarification or it will take more than 90 days, I'd hate to take possession of this item and become a felon!

I'm not claiming it's legal or illegal. Too much ambiguity in the Texas Penal Code for me to understand, as I am not an attorney. But here is a paragraph from US Law Shields blog.

http://blog.uslawshield.com/tag/mossberg-shockwave/

Part Two: Okay in Texas? Probably not.

Unfortunately, all this analysis does not help very much when we get to the laws in Texas. As noted above, the crux of the argument in favor of the weapon being a non-NFA item is that it cannot be classified as a shotgun under federal law. Federal law looks at whether or not it is intended to be fired from the shoulder. Since the firearm isn’t a shotgun to begin with, then logically it cannot be a short-barreled shotgun.

The problem under Texas law is that “shotgun” is not a defined term in the penal code, but “short-barrel firearm” is. Texas Penal Code Section 46.01(10) defines a short-barrel firearm as a rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or a shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, or any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle if, as altered, it has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

At first glance, there doesn’t seem to be a difference from the way the federal law classifies these weapons, however without having a clear definition of a shotgun, we cannot determine whether or not the Shockwave is excluded from what Texas courts would consider a short-barrel firearm. In the absence of language in the Texas Penal Code similar to “intended to be fired from the shoulder,” can having a pistol grip instead of a shoulder stock automatically create a firearm that is not a shotgun?

When left without a clear definition, the jury would end up looking at the firearm and deciding whether or not it met the commonly understood definition of a shotgun, which is usually a smooth bore firearm used for firing small shot at a short range.

If in the eyes of the jury the Mossberg 590 Shockwave looked like a shotgun, then due to the 14-inch barrel it would be a short-barrel firearm and possession would be a third-degree felony offense under Texas Penal Code Section 46.05(a)(1). Therefore, we definitely advise caution when it comes to purchasing and possessing this firearm in Texas!

My question is this: If the 590 Shockwave qualifies as a prohibited short barreled shotgun under Texas law, despite its federal status, then isn't any short barreled rifle, even one with an NFA stamp, still illegal in Texas? I can't say that I know anyone with an NFA stamped firearm, but wouldn't such a firearm still be illegal in Texas regardless if it had a stamp or not?

The way I understand it, short barreled rifles and short barreled shotguns are legal in Texas with the proper stamp. Those two items are defined in the State penal code. The Shockwave is neither pistol, rifle, or shotgun, but would be defined as a short barreled "firearm", which is a prohibited weapon here. Yeah, I don't get it either.

My 2 cents, not that any one asked. If it looks like a pig, smells like a pig and grunts like a pig - it's a pig.

Regardless of the stock and/or the barrel this is a shotgun no matter what the lawyers say. Can we all agree on that.

Mossberg should produce a longer barrel version (16 inches) for the States that require it. It's still a cool and functional addition to their product offering even with 2 inches of extra OL.

If I were a Texan, I would contact my state rep, senator and AG and let them know the law needs to be clarified/modified. I'd also point out to them that Mossberg is an employer in the state. Should the law be modified, that does not mean that some yahoo sheriff will be aware of the change and not bust you for it. :eek: "Imma gonna git you, boy!" ;)

Back