• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How shotgun loads work *as explained by a doctor video

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
As the title implies, this is what happens when someone gets shot with a shotgun, and as a doctor, what he would expect to see. He has other videos covering whether 9mm will blow your lung out and others, but since we discuss this a lot here, I wanted to be sure to highlight this video.

There is some NSFW language in one of his excerpts from a guy playing fortnite as well. So, just a friendly warning before you open it up.

I've hunted long enough to have observed a lot of this first hand on deer but it is a good video and worth watching.

In short, you do not want to be shot by a shotgun.

Totally agree with G-T and what the Doc has to say and I also use the Federal 00 for #2 on but my #1 is a Browning 3" #2 S/S Goose shot, 92 pellets at 1450fps. IF I can get the pic posted I'm guessing it will be a BAD day for the dipstick that just came into our home. It's a toss up , several larger holes or a truck load of smaller ones moving really fast??? And 22ft is grabbing the 930SPX and taking one step to take cover behind the 100+yr old plaster wall and door frame next to the couch.IMG_20211023_205832271.jpg

The problem with that logic is not the number of projectiles, nor the total weight of the shot load and velocity that matters most, but the mass of the individual projectiles that matters. The smaller ones do not carry enough retained energy to penetrate. Think of it this way. Would you rather I hit you with a fistful of thrown gravel or a fistful of rocks?

No doubt that would ruin a perp's day. If he was wearing a T-shirt. It the dipstick in your home was a Hell's Angel wearing a leather jacket, you'd probably just piss him off and he'd beat you to death with your shotgun.

The debate over 00-Buck, #1-Buck or #4-Buck for defensive use will rage on forever, I suspect, but I would not even consider anything smaller than #4-Buck, personally, anything less would be subject to too many variables to be considered a reliable stopper, IMO. For me, I'd stick with 00-B or #1-Buck only.

Of course, YMMV. But along the continuum from buckshot down to birdshot, at some point along that line the physics will win out. I don't know if your goose load is that far or not, but virtually no experienced defensive shotgun instructor I've seen recommends anything below #4-buck for that reason.

Please note, it certainly CAN be effective. Depending on distance, perp's clothing and physique, shot placement, etcetera, I'm not saying it's an inconsequential load. I don't think one can argue it's a definitive stopper though. When you have to put a perp down, you need to put him DOWN. Every time.

Agreed, like I said this is just the first round. But now that you mention it I'll see what I can do to do some real world test. The ballistic gel torsos is gonna be a no go. But t-shirts,jeans,and a leather jacket should be no problem (Goodwill). So the big question is what to use as the backer??? And suggestions anyone? I have a friend that has a relatively popular utube channel. I'll check with him and she what he thinks about doing a vid on it vs just pics? But the biggy is the backer , a chicken carcass? Thick steaks?(I'd kick my own but for that!) Once again suggestions?

The problem with that logic is not the number of projectiles, nor the total weight of the shot load and velocity that matters most, but the mass of the individual projectiles that matters. The smaller ones do not carry enough retained energy to penetrate. Think of it this way. Would you rather I hit you with a fistful of thrown gravel or a fistful of rocks?

No doubt that would ruin a perp's day. If he was wearing a T-shirt. It the dipstick in your home was a Hell's Angel wearing a leather jacket, you'd probably just piss him off and he'd beat you to death with your shotgun.

The debate over 00-Buck, #1-Buck or #4-Buck for defensive use will rage on forever, I suspect, but I would not even consider anything smaller than #4-Buck, personally, anything less would be subject to too many variables to be considered a reliable stopper, IMO. For me, I'd stick with 00-B or #1-Buck only.

Of course, YMMV. But along the continuum from buckshot down to birdshot, at some point along that line the physics will win out. I don't know if your goose load is that far or not, but virtually no experienced defensive shotgun instructor I've seen recommends anything below #4-buck for that reason.

Please note, it certainly CAN be effective. Depending on distance, perp's clothing and physique, shot placement, etcetera, I'm not saying it's an inconsequential load. I don't think one can argue it's a definitive stopper though. When you have to put a perp down, you need to put him DOWN. Every time.
you suggested I used "Logic" I usually just run with my gut

I like a custom buck & ball mode. Three 00 balls surrounded by nine number two buck.

So if you take a full load of that, it’s almost like 9 22’s & 3 .38’s all at once.

Having just visited one of the few places in the world where the largest carnivore on the planet makes itself home, I can say I have a whole new respect for 12ga shotguns. Every guide carries a gun. Most expeditions have more than one gun on hand. Every one of them is a 12ga loaded with either a mix of bear bangers or less lethal and 2 3/4" or 3" slugs to finish up.

No fancy rifles. No semi-autos. Just good ol' pump action 12ga shotguns to take down 700-1200lb polar bears.

I've carried 12ga w/ slugs as defence against black bears and grizzlies...it's well known to be very effective. And I always felt confident that I could get a round or two on target pretty darn quick if needed. It just seemed more real when you see all these people who deal with polar bears on a regular basis and that is their go to tool of choice. I am told that a 3" slug to the middle of the bear's chest will bring them down with authority. Even not so well placed shots often stop them long enough to get another shot. Slugs=broken bones...even really big ones. Hugely effective.

As CMC said above the vast majority of folks who live in bear country and deal with these creatures daily use 12 gauge pump actions. Plus typically carry a pistol in 10mm or 44 magnum. There are times when you're working or even fishing that your shotgun will not be in hand so a pistol becomes your primary weapon.

We carry a combination of 12 gauge Brenneke Black Magic 3 inch slugs and 2 3/4 inch high brass 00 buck. Underwood Xtreme Defender has become one of the popular pistol cartridges.

The speed of these magnificent creatures is very deceptive and if in a full charge situation you may be lucky to only get off one or two shots, so shot placement must count. However, maintaining situational awarness and avoidance are your best choices.

Regards

Back