• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hunting 2019

I know what you mean. My shot was up close, so I probably hit a little high in all probability considering the rainbow trajectory.

My deer crossed over property lines too. I had permission to look where I was searching, but not to go further than I did because it turned into state animal preserve at that point.

And had I been seen dragging my deer from there, even though I didn't shoot it there, we both know how that would have ended.

I hate that it didn't work out, for either of us that time. And as much as it lays on my mind, I will be better because of it in the end.

Thanksgiving Back home from Bama family all converged there. I had said I would take a doe while home if had the chance and hopefully do it with the flintlock smoothbore.
Well things went slightly different than planned, on way to my old stand I spied about 4" diameter pine oozing fresh rub very fresh. So I just plopped down about 40 yds down the trail kinda in a brush pile on ground. I waited a full hour then went full crazy loud on the rattle bag, like excessive obnoxious about 3 minutes solid, then got real still and real aware. Maybe 5 minutes and here came 2 bucks a young fork first then this 10. I'm praying for clean ignition and true aim, not alot of time behind this no sight fowling piece yet, click-BOOM lots smoke can't see for 10 seconds. The lead slug flew true DOA, no doe this trip and the couple lazy folks who chose to stay in bed were a little sideways havin to come drag for ole cripple knee1110191614.jpg :nutkick:

Finally some semi good news. The deer I hit in KY has been showing up on the trail cams.

My first hunt after getting back to MI I missed a nice doe. She was 55 yards and was hunting with my 450. I honestly cannot believe its possible for me to miss at that yardage with that gun but an exhaustive search turned up no blood, hair, anything.

Its been a trying season and despite having a few more weeks left to hunt my motivation is waning. I am out today with the smokepole hoping for some luck.

Should have a chance to shoot the 450 this afternoon to see whats up.with that gun.

Finally connected with a doe tonight. 35 yard shot with the smokepole.

Thought I had missed again but finally found small specs of blood about 30 yards from where I shot here. Never bled out much just small specs until I found her. Destroyed both lungs but somehow missed heart.

Only went about 50 yards or so in total. I hung a glow stick at first blood and another to mark the deer. Seemed lime it took forever to trail 20-25 yards. Lucky to find her, did not know for sure where she had run when the smoke cleared, the one thing I dislike about muzzleloaders.

2019-12-15 20.58.01.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic, phone was dying and didn't realize it was so burned out until well after the fact.

I am rethinking my choice of bullets in both my muzzleloader and the 450BM. Just not happy with blood trails from both.

Congratulations Mike. I'm glad you were able to connect with one.

@MikeD congrats and enjoy them fabulous meals you just provided family. As for blood trails and bullets quick comment on my transition couple years back. I have 100% solid tracking dogs so no issue to find animals, but id just as well prefer not to have to especially in evening. I found of last few years 90% of mybdeer hunting is within 100 yds and often at pocket knife range. I backed into using rifled 12gauge from required on one piece of land I hunted on occasions. That revealed complete 1 shot drop no search no doubt performance. With that I shelved my rifles and when I hit the deer woods its with a bolt action 12gauge rifle, its solid to 200 at the range but where I'm hunting its 100 or less for most part. Ive shot multiple whitetail of various size and several hogs all DRT save one boar ran stumbled crawled maybe 20 yds. Ive come full circle back the the venerable slug of instant death. I know ya have a slug gun hiding somewhere give it a go brother.20181022_183130.jpg

Back