• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hunting 2021

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Seeing all the coyote kill threads and wondering if anyone else is hunting?

I made it out for deer/turkey the first time a week ago. Saw a turkey but did not get a shot. I was lucky enough to take a doe. Got her with my crossbow with a Swhacker 125gr 2.25" broadhead. These broadheads work great. Hit her a little high and still found her with no issues.

No pics from the field but funished the processing last night.

Skinned and quartered the night of the kill but its been sitting in a cooler for a week to get the rigor out of the meat. Very tender now

PXL_20211109_004448892.jpg

Good job. While we've dealt with bear problems for a while, looks like we might catch enough of a break to be able to hunt here this weekend when rifle season comes in. Have only gotten to hunt a few days in the last 2 years.

Thinking pretty hard about using a slug gun this year. We have multiple bucks coming right now. And one doe in some serious rut.

Have a 3 point, 4, 6, several 8's of varying sizes. Sadly, I haven't seen the 10 pointer this year that's usually made an appearance by now several times. But he seldom is ever seen during daylight hours anyway.

https://youtu.be/qQJOgWPgSrs

signal-2021-09-26-190046 (1).jpg

Not my kill, but my hunting partner took this nice little 4-point whitetail (we only count one side for points up here) about a month ago.

I haven't managed to get more than 3 days in the field this season...:thumbsdown:

My buddy lives in a much more rural area...about a 5 hour drive from here. He usually gets out a couple days per week.

He was out for a drive with the kids seeing what they could see and this feller just stepped out of the bush and he dropped him in one shot.

Last edited:
Seeing all the coyote kill threads and wondering if anyone else is hunting?

I made it out for deer/turkey the first time a week ago. Saw a turkey but did not get a shot. I was lucky enough to take a doe. Got her with my crossbow with a Swhacker 125gr 2.25" broadhead. These broadheads work great. Hit her a little high and still found her with no issues.

No pics from the field but funished the processing last night.

Skinned and quartered the night of the kill but its been sitting in a cooler for a week to get the rigor out of the meat. Very tender now

That is your grinder? Nice! When the S hits the F, you will outlive all of us. Take care. Tom Worthington

That is your grinder? Nice! When the S hits the F, you will outlive all of us. Take care. Tom Worthington

It is a nice grinder but its really one of the smallest that Lem makes.

I actually wish I had gone a little bigger. This one has a lot more power than my old one but the feed tube is about the same size.
That said, it does make short work of a deer and I highly, highly recommend it

The first deer I processed was done with a small hand crank grinder. ....that was a very tiring experience. I actually stopped about 3/4 of the way through the first grind to run out and buy a cheap electric one to finish because it was taking so long.

It is a nice grinder but its really one of the smallest that Lem makes.

I actually wish I had gone a little bigger. This one has a lot more power than my old one but the feed tube is about the same size.
That said, it does make short work of a deer and I highly, highly recommend it

The first deer I processed was done with a small hand crank grinder. ....that was a very tiring experience. I actually stopped about 3/4 of the way through the first grind to run out and buy a cheap electric one to finish because it was taking so long.
What size is that grinder?

I only have a few does coming in during the daylight hours at the moment. And all of those have little ones that were just born back in the summer. So since I can't take a doe with a rifle, looks like I won't be going this weekend after all.

The unseasonably warm temp this week (indian summer) has got them all out of whack. I can try to wait a few weeks to see how things transition after it cools back off and settles into winter and may be able to still get something with the xbow.

:lol:

Holy crap! That's funny! Nice one John...next time I'll have to pay closer attention. I have to admit, I just glanced at it and and I thought the head looked a bit strange and a little "horsey" LOL...totally missed the hooves and the tail.

Who's the donkey now??? LOL! Thanks a lot John you just exposed me as a post glancer....:thumbsdown: I shoulda known your post was way too brief!

However, on the other hand my darling wife has been cooking up two, yes (2)...count em 1+1 Whitetail roasts that I reckon are gonna be something special. Herb crusted, pan seared and slow cooked with all the usual suspects.

She's gonna pull 'em apart and make Shepherd's pies for the freezer. Hope you actually bag one worthy of bragging about! Lord knows I'm blessed to have good friends willing to share...no joy for me this year.

image.jpeg

After rifle season ended, that meant that I could take the crossbow back out and I was able to put a doe in the fridge since the bucks have only been nocturnal lately. The old crossbow still has it in her.

Just finished some jerky a few minutes ago. Used Whiskey Pepper seasoning in it.

vkRv9gI.jpg

I also was able to try out the grinder that my wife got me for Christmas a few years ago and I loved it. I used some of the choicest cuts and mixed in some hardwood smoked bacon with it as it was grinding up. Should be some pretty good burgers. Especially on the grill.

GGPTFTA.jpg

I had dragged the carcass up the ravine and put my trail camera out for a few days just to see what would come around and was a little shocked that it was completely gone. I was hoping to catch the wolves, but didn't.

I did catch a big cat burying it with leaves and then coming back and dragging it off and hiding it somewhere else. I thought you guys may enjoy seeing (and hearing) the video.

Just ignore all my junk.

Nope! :D It is always interesting to see people's "stuff" in the background of their pics. I like your wind chime. :)

I have Ryobi tools almost 20 years old now. The tools and batteries are on the heavy side so Milky-Dewey fanbois may not approve but the extra weight strengthens our wrists so we never have FTF from limp-wristing... :D Original batts are long recycled but the lions have been providing good service--I have some over 5yrs old.

Back