• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I am not sure if I miss this, or if I don't

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
David cop car.jpg

Those were the days, boy. Great stories. Fights, scrapes, bites, torn uniforms, stupid drunk and violent people,busted fingers, injuries that now leave me with arthritis, a Govt 1911 and an AR15 Carbine and an M1A Scout Squad and a Mossberg 590 to help keep me safe, a fast car, all the "fun".

But it wasn't.

Because I could not tell my wife about any part of that or she would get pissed that I was in that kind of work. All I had were other cops who would listen.

This pic was a self portrait of me at a short time gig I did, and I kept this photo because it seemed pretty neat with the blue LED lights (mostly) all on. A slower shutter speed would have caught all of them.

Now I am retired, and things are now pretty boring. It hurts a lot in my feet, knees and hands. Arthritis makes it difficult to go to sleep at times. But things are good.

Last edited:
I would wager the bet that you do miss it.

And there are parts that you don't.

Lots of good memories and friends that are more like family than co-workers.

Helping out people when they need it.

I don't miss the wet and cold. Last winter the weather man had been telling folks to get milk and bread and make sure the pantry was stocked up for days because they were expecting a deep snow.

And when the snow started falling and covering everything white, and after some time, you could see the pine tree limbs drooping over from the weight of the wet snow, I missed being out in it in a weird way, but was thankful there was a group of much younger and able bodied men out there climbing poles and hanging new wires while I was sitting there watching the world getting more quiet and dark as the sun sat behind the mountain.

Yes, I bet there are times when you miss it.

And there will be times when you won't.

Frostbite sucks. Heat exhaustion sucks. Being rained on so long that you couldn't be any more wet if you jumped in a pool or river and went swimming sucks. Especially once it starts freezing.

But, I'd do it all over again.

Thanks buddy. Not unlike you at all, I gave everything I had to give even on my bad days. And I had a lot of satisfaction in it and I really enjoyed what I did too. The same as I know that you did.

For many years, I thought the job was a big part of what defined who or what I am. The more time that I've had to reflect about it though, the job isn't what defines anyone. You and I defined our jobs.

You're either cut out for it. Or you're not. You either excelled at it, or you quit the first time shit got real.

You and I had very different careers. But very similar in some ways. Both of us knew that we faced the possibility that either of us may not be going home at the end of the shift or even when the shift was going to be over. Yet, we got up every morning and kissed our families and went out provided for them despite the risks. Took care of our communities in our own way.

Retiring doesn't show weakness my friend. It shows that you've paid your dues and earned your peace.

My friend, those aching hips, feet and ankles, arthritis, and scars are just proof that you're a real man that didn't back down when it got hard and scary.

Yeah, @nitesite, you'll get over those salad days once you get more comfortable at being retired. All the adrenaline takes a toll. Your heart will appreciate the rest.

I never faced many violent crime situations. My arthritic spates all come from wacky sports injuries. OTJ stress was nearly all related to impossible work deadlines.

I haven't had a real physical confrontation with anybody in 45 years, meaning one with the potential for me to really get hurt.

Some unknown guy thought I wanted his girlfriend (OK, I did tease her a bit. She was too cute to ignore.) Anyhow, days later he sends his 250 lb little brother to rough me up. He almost did too. He hit me from a blind side and knocked me down. Jumped on me & tried hard to punch me in the nose. He was a lardo and when I tossed him off, he went over hard. I grabbed him by the neck and smacked the back of his head on the concrete. Not too hard, as I didn't want him to die. It didn't work so I smacked him a bit harder, and he was then stunned.

I got up with a couple bruises and scratches. He didn't get up, as several people convinced him to stay down and wait for the authorities, who mysteriously showed up out of nowhere. I don't know why. Maybe they'd been tailing the guy? I never knew WTH happened to him. I was never asked to testify, so he might have done something else really serious. I never found out.

I moved to the west coast shortly after that, and I hadn't thought about that business in many years. One of the few times I ever had dealings with the police beyond a speeding ticket.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you . . . :cheers:

That is a cool picture :)

I can suggest that just taking a walk around the neighborhood a couple of times every week, can be refreshing both for mind and body. If your body allows it that is

That is a cool picture :)

I can suggest that just taking a walk around the neighborhood a couple of times every week, can be refreshing both for mind and body. If your body allows it that is

Thank You. My greatest satisfaction is that I have my fantastic wife at my side, I have my two dogs who adore me, and my small farm to take care of every day. With the dogs and the farm I get enough walking in, I assure you! That is why my arthritic feet sometimes keep me up at night! But Thank You for your support, my friend.

Nitesite, after spending 33 years (21 in military and 12 as contractor supporting military operations) there was definitely a life style change when I retired but one for the better. My job, like yours, was high stress and that impacted me more than anything. The day I retired 20 years ago I took off my watch and have never worn one again. I find I can tell the time within about 15 minutes which is good enough. If tired, take a rest. If hungry, grab a snack. Our bodies tend to tell us when we've done to much. Body over mind, not "vise a versa" as we age. But I've learned to work smarter, not harder! Have a farm and spend hours on tractors or working outside.

I suspect you will find down the road this statement to be true - Don't know how I ever found time to work a full-time job!

Again, congrats on your retirement and thank you for your years of dedicated service!

Bless you and your family.

Regards

Not me. I’d have been a wealthy gigolo. How many cops volunteer for 40+ hrs desk duty, if their right foot isn’t broken.

Once in a blue moon I got to climb inside some crazy place to take measurements for a project, Or go out and inspect the progress of a project, but otherwise it was desk work for me. 44 unrelenting years if, you don’t count 15 years of school.

I have only been free of the desk for seven years. Having a smart phone helps with that because I can communicate anywhere. I don’t have to be in my office.

:gift:

Hahahaaa. This was my "BatMan Belt" then.

holsters.JPG

Boy, I had some pretty cool shit. Especially the 1911 Colt RAIL GUN and three extra mags. But boy after twelve hours that crap got heavy.

Kathy always said that her "favorite sound in the world" was when she was still in bed and hearing Velcro being pulled apart. Because that meant to her that early in the morning it woke her up and she knew that I was home and the belt and vest was coming off. :)

I bet nitesite keeps a spare cape in the closet and I'd bet anything that I own that he keeps a loaded mag in the 1911 still too.

@Ernst

Your sig line kills me every time

"A man reaches a certain age where he doesn't want any drama. He doesn't want to fight anyone - and if forced to he will not fight fair. He will not quit and there are no weapons he will not use. It's best to leave him alone with his coffee, whiskey and cigars. Don't poke the old men. They will hurt you."

Nitesite, having seen my share of combat and bloodshed this phrase, which I've used for many years, accurately portrays both my attitude toward life and my prespective on any encounter that might come my way.

I like John's bet with you and no surprise in your answer. I live with bears and cougars so never unarmed whether working in the woods or in the field on the tractor. Typically see bears weekly, cougars occasionally.

Bless you brother!

Regards

Hahahaaa. This was my "BatMan Belt" then.

View attachment 25840

Boy, I had some pretty cool shit. Especially the 1911 Colt RAIL GUN and three extra mags. But boy after twelve hours that crap got heavy.

Kathy always said that her "favorite sound in the world" was when she was still in bed and hearing Velcro being pulled apart. Because that meant to her that early in the morning it woke her up and she knew that I was home and the belt and vest was coming off. :)
That 1.75 of Ciroc peach or maybe Mango would help I'm guessing.

View attachment 25834

Those were the days, boy. Great stories. Fights, scrapes, bites, torn uniforms, stupid drunk and violent people,busted fingers, injuries that now leave me with arthritis, a Govt 1911 and an AR15 Carbine and an M1A Scout Squad and a Mossberg 590 to help keep me safe, a fast car, all the "fun".

But it wasn't.

Because I could not tell my wife about any part of that or she would get pissed that I was in that kind of work. All I had were other cops who would listen.

This pic was a self portrait of me at a short time gig I did, and I kept this photo because it seemed pretty neat with the blue LED lights (mostly) all on. A slower shutter speed would have caught all of them.

Now I am retired, and things are now pretty boring. It hurts a lot in my feet, knees and hands. Arthritis makes it difficult to go to sleep at times. But things are good.
I would compare it to like being 20 again. I'd do it again if it was back then but today ???????

Back