• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I came across a used 464

MossMan17

.22LR
I am a sucker for a lever action rifle. I love them, especially when scoped and dialed in. I've taken lots of deer with my 30-30.
I have read about them possibly being discontinued? I don't understand why, unless it due to manufacturing cost. They always seemed to me, to work so much smoother than the bolt actions I have used. (especially on a cold damp morning)
The one I found is a .308. I just hope I can get ammo for it.

Is it a tube fed magazine?

Anyway, very cool for finding a used lever rifle.

@MossMan17

I'm confused. A cartridge? What is that? I want to learn more about these things. I am kinda dumb about such things. I am very new to lever rifles.

A tube fed lever gun in .308 Win, or it isn't.

I am excited if you have that gun, and want to buy yours or can you lead me to where I could get one?

I too, am wondering about .308/7.62 NATO in a tube-mag gun. As most of the bullets used are "pointy" by design, under recoil there exists a possibility of a bullet hitting and igniting the primer of the cartridge in front of it in the tube. This would not be good with the potential for injury or even death.

PS: this picture borrowed from Wikipedia shows a .223, .30-.30 and .308, L-R. Note the .30-.30 is rounded.

30-30.jpg

Last edited:
@MossMan17

I'm confused. A cartridge? What is that? I want to learn more about these things. I am kinda dumb about such things. I am very new to lever rifles.

A tube fed lever gun in .308 Win, or it isn't.

I am excited if you have that gun, and want to buy yours or can you lead me to where I could get one?
If the internet is to be believed, he could be referring to the blind box magazine as a cartridge for inserting rounds into the rifle.

If the internet is to be believed, he could be referring to the blind box magazine as a cartridge for inserting rounds into the rifle.

But were there any 464 rifles produced with box magazines instead of tube fed.

If there is a 464 similar to a Savage 99 then I am all in. :)

But were there any 464 rifles produced with box magazines instead of tube fed.

If there is a 464 similar to a Savage 99 then I am all in. :)
I can’t remember what key words I typed in to get that link, lol. Everything goes to the Henry rifle links now. I don’t know anything about lever actions. Only shot one once. And that was enough. My moms Marlin in .444.

Sorry for the mass confusion. I met up with the owner at my local range and shot it. It was a 30.30 not a 308. typical side load. It jammed on me two times and I was not impressed with the gun at all. I thanked Paul and passed on it. I'll continue looking for a .308 or possibly a .270.

Back