• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I don't want to buy this but maybe I should.

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
I've been offered this gun by the guy who sold me the Savage 887.

It's a savage Stevens 325-a in .30-30, bolt action, box mag, 3+1, and except for a minor flaw or two it's in OK shape for an old gun.

It's from 1948, and the stock is supposed to be blonde, but has been stained darker since these were taken.
It has a machine-gun style barrel nut, and the rumor is these were built from leftover parts from the war.

He's asking $300 which seems fair. I really feel I should collect this one except, I really want a .308 target gun. I keep putting it off to buy other stuff...stuff that turns out to be great stuff...but the distractions are too winning.

So unless I hear cries of, "You fool, buy it now!" I'm going to let this one pass.

I'll put some pix up in 5 mins.

The 325a is the bottom one in this pic.
2422.jpeg
20160509_180346.jpg
20160509_180454.jpg
Damage on the handle is from someone forcing the safety over. The safety jtself is undamaged, so it was replaced at some time.

20160509_180828.jpg
The barrel nut.
20160513_165517.jpg

20160513_163927.jpg

20160513_170059.jpg

20160513_165840.jpg

I always wanted a .30-30 bolt gun. Other than that I have no insight.

Self control man....wait for the .308.

Personally I don't see the reason for a 30/30 in a bOlt gun. Go 308 and gain some FPS. Same BOO Let with a sharp end. I will say that I have seen a nice difference with the lever evolution 30/30 rounds with there little pointy soft tip thingy.
Ps, I likes me some lever guns. Marlin man to the end.

I'm looking at a Tikka sporter but it may be a few weeks before I have the spare cash. $1500 for the .308 model.

Theres a lot of .308 guns I could buy, but the truth is that the one I want is a lot more expensive and I'm going to end up settling for the Tikka.

I am in the same boat. Want a 308, and do not own a bolt gun right now. I like the tikka, looked at a savage, really liked the Browning BLR stainless in a takedown, but that is another lever gun, but o so nice.
I am going to continue to buy semi auto rifles for now due to being in California and I fear we are loosing the battle, and I have a few more semi auto wants before Diane Feinstein , Newsome and Harris have there way with my once great state.
Really I just want a cheap synthetic stock stainless 308 bolt gun, nothing fancy, besides, I have most calipers covered from rabbit to grizzly.
Cheers.

I bought 3 semi-autos this year, but another one couldn't hurt. :D

Meanwhile, instead of buying that Savage, I bought this new workbench for the guns.
20160517_013148.jpg

It's a knock-down kit from Harbor Freight and the quality is only so-so, but its pretty strong & with just a little strategic reinforcement, it will be incredibly sturdy.

It was only $151 with tax, but there are over 120 parts to assemble, so maybe not an incredible bargain.

It took me a while to assemble because I glued every joint. All 48 joints

I can vouch for Tikka's......I have a good amount of time behind the T3 Lite in 243, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag.

They are excellent , accurate and built very well....

I can see that people are building a lot of custom stuff around the Tikka action. I might start looking for a gun like that.

Back