• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I don't want to shoot through my house and into my neighbors' so which shotgun ammo?

you're right Ern. I'll be getting something like that.
Better deaf than dead tho, huh?

[coffee, yeah, cigar, yeah, whiskey, never got a taste for]
maybe next life :)

Shadowdog, it's much quicker to slip on an electronic headset than inserting ear plugs plus you can clearly hear any sound made by intruder. If married, don't forget a set for your wife. These headsets allow you to hear clearly but muffle the gunshot instantaneously.

Regards

I second the advice. My friend had a set at the range and let me touch off a couple rounds. I went home later and immediately ordered a set. There are a lot of these around, so, take your pick. This is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797SW8VZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you're right Ern. I'll be getting something like that.
Better deaf than dead tho, huh?

[coffee, yeah, cigar, yeah, whiskey, never got a taste for]
maybe next life :)

Shadowdog, after almost eight decades of experience on this earth I've concluded there are really only five important joys in life! Good fresh ground Costa Rican coffee, a good Cuban cigar, an excellent 15 to 20 year old single malt scotch, several (many) guns in several calibers, and most importantly, a good and indulging woman!

Life is good. Enjoy it today. And remember, the one thing in life your can't buy is Time!

Regards

Ernst certainly speaks the truth.

I won't touch the tobacco anymore though.

I have went a slightly different route than earplugs or electronic muffs. I have been making suppressors/mufflers like crazy the last 20 years.

During an event we are talking about seconds will be precious, probably the difference between life and death. The adrenaline rush will be overwhelming as well. The fewer things I add to the equation the better.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, whatever works for you is best, but we aren't talking about the range here, or even a controlled environment. When someone or more are trying to break in and do harm to you and your loved ones you (we) will want to answer the call quickly and decisively.

I like John's idea as it requires no additional action. A shotty is a different matter, but again, time is of the essence.

Just my thoughts. They are free and worth every penny.

Meanstreak, while I understand your point regarding timing of response I believe it's equally important to positively identify the threat(s). Is it a single intruder, multi intruders, wild animal, a family member or family pet? There is an old military technique that can serve us well - Stop, Look, Listen, and Smell. You must positively identify the threat (friend or foe) before engaging with deadly force.

To me, being able to hear throughout the event is paramount especially if you're dealing with either multiple threats and/or if your wife or another member of the family is simultaneously assisting with the situational response. For example, cleaning rooms is not a one person job. It takes coordination. If one person is temporarily deafen as a result of a gunshot discharge they are seriously impaired while trying to offer assistance.

Electronic headsets as well as either weapon mounted or hand held flashlights are tools that give you an advantage. No different than an alarm system or other means of advanced threat warning. My technique - laying beside my weapon is an electronic headset, a hand held flashlight (in addition to a weapons mounted light) and a pair of yellow safety glasses (brightens the situation especially at night). Takes no longer to don these than slipping on you shoes in the middle of the night.

Weapon suppressor are wonderful but do nothing up front to help you evaluate the situation or threat.

Again, not disagreeing with your point on immediate response, brother!

Regards

I realize this is way off the OP's intention, but I like seeing where these discussions go because there can often be a lot of information available that are not discussed in fear of "going off topic", which I think has already been answered, so I'll go ahead and jump.

I agree that a weapon suppressor serves little to nothing in being able to identify whether friend or foe. But then again, that's not really what it's purpose is. Any HD weapon that I have, will at minimum have an adequate weapon light on it.

However, it does protect your hearing, and quite possibly your families hearing as well. At least until the bad guy(s) start shooting and just screw up more stuff for themselves and everyone around them due to their poor decisions.

A weapon suppressor is not only beneficial in suppressing weapon sound, but also weapon flash (which will affect your night vision and possibly help confuse the assailants more because they can't see as well after they have fired a shot or two off and can't see your reduced flash).

So, it's not just about sound suppression. And since you are your own first responder and no one knows whether a natural gas line has been intentionally removed so they can burn the house to prevent their identification or capture, or perhaps even shot through and leaking, the added benefit to a suppressor is there is less flash and heat exiting the suppressor that may inadvertently ignite the volatile gas and blow the whole house sky high if you had to use your weapon. I have said multiple times that for first responders raiding meth houses that a suppressor may keep everyone safer in the event that shot(s) must be fired. The same could be said for defending ones' home too.

Lots of people look at SBR's and Silencers and Machineguns and such as a bad combination to protect yourself and your family with due to the negative press. But the truth of the matter is, there is no lawful or logical reason not to use every tool available to you to keep yourself and your family safe. That's just how I see it. And there are times when I even have my registered machinegun loaded up and with a suppressor on the end of it during times of widespread distress, much like all this quarantine because it is proven fact that the likelihood that your home gets broken into, is almost certainly going to be from multiple assailants these days and gang initiations and such, so why would one NOT want the best tool for the job as they own?

I realize the OP being in California cannot own a suppressor but most everyone in other states can, and the number of people who purchase a suppressor for HD has grown exponentially in the last 20 years. There are more than a million and a half suppressors in the NFA registery as of 2017 and that number has grown a lot even since then. They are not just being bought and put in the back of a gun safe folks.

Military units and police units alike have been using them, for the same reason why I want to.

John, totally agree with you on the use of a suppressor. Been there, done that and they work.

However, I suspect the majority of home owners, beyond prior military or law enforcement, are not familiar with them or the cost of either ownership and paperwork.

Apologize, for my part, if this discussion has gotten off topic. These threads are dynamic in nature and responses generate "forks in the road." If judged that a discussion is diverging from the OP original question maybe one solution might be for a mod, like yourself, to either close the original thread and/or start a new one by transferring information.

Just a thought.

Regards

As I said, I personally believed the OP's question has already been answered so I see no problem with the derail. There is still lots of other useful info out there to be shared.

There is far too much red tape associated with anything NFA related though unfortunately. But my mindset is there are certain tools for certain jobs. Don't use a screwdriver for a chisel. Don't use an 8 pound sledge hammer to drive in a paneling nail to hang a little picture on the wall.

I do openly admit that I take the safety and security of my family and home a lot more seriously than many people that I know.

But that is because I know there is evil in this world and as a husband, father, and grandfather, it is my responsibility to do everything in my power to keep them safe at all costs. I guess that's what seperates a lot of us from a lot of "everyone else".

There is far too much red tape associated with anything NFA related though unfortunately.

John, totally on the red tape. To much money, to time consuming, and IMO unconstitutional!

But that is because I know there is evil in this world and as a husband, father, and grandfather, it is my responsibility to do everything in my power to keep them safe at all costs. I guess that's what seperates a lot of us from a lot of "everyone else".

Amen on taking responsibility. IMO, far to many folks continue to believe if they dial 911 the SWAT team will be there in two minutes. Folks living in a rural setting, at best, can expect a sheriff deputy to respond in 30 to 45 minutes. Be realistic and be prepared.

I agree Ernst. Where I live, it may take a while to get police on the property. And even if it didn't, that's still time that is important if they are 2 blocks away.

There are so many legal and moral questions that one has to ask themselves and get passed in order to even consider getting a gun for personal protection. I don't believe hardly anyone wants to have to shoot someone. I know that I certainly don't.

But, as I have mentioned, I take the protection of my family and their safety very seriously. And I do believe that it is my responsibility to do so if I must. I have asked myself a lot of inter-personal questions. Many being religious questions, but always come back to the same conclusion.

"At all costs".

I respect anyone that has given this subject more than a fleeing thought, and even more respect for those, like the OP, who has taken a step to buy the gun and learn about it and do just that because it's certainly not a game and there are a lot of considerations (like over penetration) to think about.

I have heard a lot of folks new to guns say they'll buy a gun to protect their home and family and they'll buy a box of shells and put the gun in a closet somewhere and that's the end of it. No real training. No knowledge of ballistics or penetration or anything else. And if it comes down to it, they probably wouldn't be able to shoot their way out of a paper bag.

Many think that just because they have a gun that everything is going to be alright. But reality says it still may not. So many times I am seeing lately all the first time gun owners thinking they'll just shuck the pump and that suddenly makes a bunch of bad guys evacuate ass out of the proximity.

But the bad guys may be deaf, or they may be so high that reality doesn't even register in their dope cooked brains, or a host of other things.

So, for orangecountygreg to be taking the right steps to not only be able to protect his self, but watching out for his neighbors is very commendable. I believe that he's going to do this the right way.

I agree Ernst. Where I live, it may take a while to get police on the property. And even if it didn't, that's still time that is important if they are 2 blocks away.

There are so many legal and moral questions that one has to ask themselves and get passed in order to even consider getting a gun for personal protection. I don't believe hardly anyone wants to have to shoot someone. I know that I certainly don't.

But, as I have mentioned, I take the protection of my family and their safety very seriously. And I do believe that it is my responsibility to do so if I must. I have asked myself a lot of inter-personal questions. Many being religious questions, but always come back to the same conclusion.

"At all costs".

I respect anyone that has given this subject more than a fleeing thought, and even more respect for those, like the OP, who has taken a step to buy the gun and learn about it and do just that because it's certainly not a game and there are a lot of considerations (like over penetration) to think about.

I have heard a lot of folks new to guns say they'll buy a gun to protect their home and family and they'll buy a box of shells and put the gun in a closet somewhere and that's the end of it. No real training. No knowledge of ballistics or penetration or anything else. And if it comes down to it, they probably wouldn't be able to shoot their way out of a paper bag.

Many think that just because they have a gun that everything is going to be alright. But reality says it still may not. So many times I am seeing lately all the first time gun owners thinking they'll just shuck the pump and that suddenly makes a bunch of bad guys evacuate ass out of the proximity.

But the bad guys may be deaf, or they may be so high that reality doesn't even register in their dope cooked brains, or a host of other things.

So, for orangecountygreg to be taking the right steps to not only be able to protect his self, but watching out for his neighbors is very commendable. I believe that he's going to do this the right way.

playin hide and seek today?

Ernst, lol, didn't take it as a disagreement. Just different means to face an encounter that hopefully none of us ever have to face.

Ernst, lol, didn't take it as a disagreement. Just different means to face an encounter that hopefully none of us ever have to face.

Not an issue brother. My point is that when you have bullets coming back in your direction you need every advantage possible on your side. It isn't fun, I know!

The other point we didn't touch on in this overall discussion is immediate accessibility to your weapon. My prespective - it does you little good to have a unloaded weapon or a weapon locked in a safe. In a multi intruder or animal (bear) breakin you're not going to have time to find your weapon, find your magazine, insert it and make the weapon ready. Plus find your flashlight, pants and shoes. An unloaded weapon (handgun or rifle) is no better than a hammer in an immediate "do or die" situation. My view!

Yes, I understand many have kids and are concerned about loaded weapons. I was raised on a ranch and loaded guns were hanging on the wall, in every truck and on horses. I was taught by 5 years old gun safety! I did not touch a gun without an adult present. At 10 I had my own .22 and by 12 a shotgun (a Mossberg). I learned gun safety and more importantly weapons discipline at an early age. I doubt many kids today are taught these lessons by their parents.

And yes, I understand that governor x and governor y have passed laws making us all felons if our guns are not unloaded and locked in a safe or if you dare carry a weapon openly in many states. Like John said above you must make your own decision to protect your love ones.

My final rant - the finest weapon in the world does you little good unless you know how to operate it and you practice! Not just shooting at paper targets. Practice response drills in your house, on your property, both during the day and at night. Paper targets don't shoot back.

Regards

Last edited:
This video is of an actual shooting with a shotgun. Shows a close range take down of a bad guy by police and good discussion of tactics and response times. Unfortunately, the video has a commercial up front which you can skip if you want.

This video is of an actual shooting with a shotgun. Shows a close range take down of a bad guy by police and good discussion of tactics and response times.

At first I thought the LEO was quick to fire, but upon further info presented, the perp (with restraining order against him) had already killed his inlaws and pistol had misfired prior to his head collecting lead...

Back