• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

I don't want to shoot through my house and into my neighbors' so which shotgun ammo?

It is impossible to miss your target and blast your shot load thru your walls AND the exterior of your home AND cross a distance AND then penetrate the exterior of another house AND have any energy left. I know of no recorded incident of this happening with shotgun ammo.

There. I said it. Somebody prove me wrong.

Nitesite, he said one of his neighbors is 15' away.

I wouldn't want to personally risk it with a shotgun.

It is impossible to miss your target and blast your shot load thru your walls AND the exterior of your home AND cross a distance AND then penetrate the exterior of another house AND have any energy left. I know of no recorded incident of this happening with shotgun ammo.

There. I said it. Somebody prove me wrong.

Probably the best way the OP could test this is to construct a target which replicates both his and his neighbors outside walls (exact construction) and the spacing between the two houses. Then shoot these targets from ranges that represent potential shot lines. This would certainly put the issue to rest.

If I had any concerns this would be the approach I'd take.

Regards

The Paul Herrell video did not include TYVEC and foam board and in-between stud insulation and wind barrier. It was just sheetrock thru three walls. Okay, it "eventually" burst some 2-liter bottles but not violently. It did not take into account or replicate the exterior of the neighbors home, the wind barrier, TYVEK, insulation and interior sheetrock just to to have the pellets intrude their abode.

Shotgun ammo is not .50 BMG ammo.

Nitesite, I certainly have my opinion after firing 1000s of shotgun rounds but unless you accurately replicate the setting there is no definitive way to prove the result. I'd like to see an actual demonstration.

I totally agree with your statement that a "shotgun ammo is not .50 BMG ammo."

Regards

Last edited:
Five shots of #4 @ 10 or so yds.
The pumpkin was rock hard. Not rotten.

Attachments

• 998F816E-11B0-4180-8028-6281EC3E6CB5.jpeg
    998F816E-11B0-4180-8028-6281EC3E6CB5.jpeg
    665.4 KB · Views: 18
  • A7C82A45-34AC-494F-957F-D9F879CEB5ED.jpeg
    A7C82A45-34AC-494F-957F-D9F879CEB5ED.jpeg
    580.5 KB · Views: 17
I am 75 years old and started hunting a the young age of 8. I also spent time with Uncle Sam from 1968-75. Have seen people shot with a shotgun during hunting and war. It doesn't mater what you are using if you hit what you are shoting at they hurt. Distance is not a shotguns friend, the longer the shot the less likely you are going to do a killing shot. I have seen people using a doorway to shoot from and the fraiming around the door stopping the shot but away from the framing it would go through both outside wall and inside wall sometimes doing it's job and sometimes not. Very few if any shot made it through the far outside wall. Now slugs and 00 all bets are off.

I use #2 3" steel waterfowl Remington for HD. Never did or seen any vids on penetration nor have I done any experiments but seems to make sense to me. And my house is 100yrs old and the neighbor has a sandstone walled house so I'm guessen I'm good. And also guessing if you gut shoot someone with that round at 5 yards it will turn their guts into a bowl of cottage cheese. :idk:

I use #2 3" steel waterfowl Remington for HD. Never did or seen any vids on penetration nor have I done any experiments but seems to make sense to me. And my house is 100yrs old and the neighbor has a sandstone walled house so I'm guessen I'm good. And also guessing if you gut shoot someone with that round at 5 yards it will turn their guts into a bowl of cottage cheese. :idk:
Can't answer about steel shot. Youre probably ok. I let you decidw what is safe. I have #4 lead shot. I feel secure with that.

Hombre243, my point goes back to the OP who said he and his neighbor live 15 feet apart with stucco covered conventional walls.

My point was to construct two, let's say for discussion, 2' x 2' replicas of the two walls, space them 15' apart and shoot them with whatever HD ammo you prefer. That should answer the concern expressed by the OP.

Unfortunately, far to many people speculate about shotshell spread and penetration all the time without patterning their load against representative targets. Shooting paper targets at distance may define the spread but says nothing about realistic penetration.

Perfect example of not understanding is the use of flite control shotshells. Typically spread at 7 yards is the size of a quarter! Same as a slug. IMO, a recipe for a miss! Don't believe it, go test it.

Regards

For what it’s worth I’ve attached some pics of some patterning work I did a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to specifically look at birdshot at close ranges to see if it would be a good choice for a first response HD load.
Attached are 4 pics. First the ammo used. Then a backlit “density pattern” of one shot at 25, 15 and 7’ish yards.
index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

As you can see even #8 birdshot is going to leave a mark at typical HD distances. it might be a good first choice before going to the more devastating buckshot or heavy slug.
This does not address barrier penetration but I think birdshot would be more friendly to your neighbors than buck shot or a 1 oz slug.
As mentioned. Testing would be required to validate this but please do not shoot your wall!

While patterning is easy to do for any distance or size shot the real question is penetration.

Totally different with someone wearing a t-shirt vice a threat wearing a heavy winter coat over a sweater and shirt. Plus these days we're seeing threats even wearing soft armor vests.

IMO, you should test penetration against the toughest target you're likely to encounter when picking a round for home defense.

Regards

While patterning is easy to do for any distance or size shot the real question is penetration.

Totally different with someone wearing a t-shirt vice a threat wearing a heavy winter coat over a sweater and shirt. Plus these days we're seeing threats even wearing soft armor vests.

IMO, you should test penetration against the toughest target you're likely to encounter when picking a round for home defense.

Regards
Good points. The head is a smaller target buuuut :laugh:

I have a bit of a different situation from most others. Our home was built in the 1820's with all interior walls consisting of what I call horse hair plaster, lathes, air space, lathes and plaster. The plaster is 1/2 inch or more and it is rock hard. All of the exterior walls consist of plaster over brick, air space and another hard brick wall. Again it was built in the 1820's and the bricks are harder than most you'll find today.
I have been asking this question myself. I only have a neighbor on one side which is also an older brick house. I doubt even 00 buck would penetrate through my plastered double brick wall, 15 feet and then through their brick walls. Plus in our bedroom we would not be shooting towards their house. (Both bedrooms on second floors. As for my family the plan is in place, both my family members know not to get into my potential line of fire.
Extremely good thread, thank you guys.

I live in Indiana and see houses being built with plastic siding, 1" hard foam sheets on the out side wall. Walls are both 16" and 24" 2x4's on center with 4" batting type insolation and 1/2" sheetrock. Houses must be 8' from the line so are 16' apart. You would be real surprised what #8 bird shot will do fired stright though at 10' not hitting a stud. Fired at an angle the shot that misses the stud will hurt or kill if it hits flush, dog, cat. or human. Look for the lowest speed round that will cycle your gun and not open over 5" at the max distant you will shot in your house. Do not clear your house call a cop! Stay in a safe room with your people gun covering the door. If god forbid you have to shoot that should give you a couple of walls before shot could get to the neighbors wall.

Back